Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 25 2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Tan Ru
Captain

Operation – Annihilate: Operation – Stay Awake

Okay, I just finished season one of my TOS-R set.

What are your thoughts on Operation – Annihilate! ??

I remember liking this episode as a kid during the 70’s re-runs, but now it’s like, WHAT A SNOOZE-FEST!! Dramamine® doesn't even put me to sleep as fast as this episode!

I really cannot hold my attention on it for some reason, I think it’s because I find it excessively talky, not much action and the abrupt finale.

I wish that I liked it as much as when I was young, I mean it does have good things going for it:
  • Shatner as a corpse with a mustache.
  • A cool and futuristic outdoor colony setting
  • Flying fake vomit / brain-cell creatures
  • Kirk’s hot sister-in-law (YEEAAA!)
  • Kirk’s young nephew that never speaks (booooo…)
  • Kirk blows-up on Uhura and doesn't apologize.
  • Several phaser special effects. (very nice)
  • Nurse Chapel with strawberry-blonde hair.
  • And the new set (lab) of Sickbay and all the cool new props.
So, good production values, great acting (as usual) and pretty good overall storyline I think. And yet, it’s missing something. It’s missing passion or something along those lines. I just find it rather dull. And dull to me is a greater sin than campy, corny, dated, poor FX etc.

Yeah, there are dorky things like Kirk ordering McCoy to over-drug the sister-in-law which eventually kills her and McCoy stupidly blinding Spock. Come to think of it, Spock stupidly lets himself be blinded. I'm glad that I wasn't a red-shirt in McCoy’s sickbay that day!

I think the ending is rather anti-climatic as well. And no "thanks a lot" from the colony or anything, the ungrateful SOB’s.

The first season should have ended on a high point with City rather than a sleeper like OA, IMHO.

So what is the general consensus here? 'Yay or 'Nay on Operation – Annihilate! ??
Old February 25 2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Re: Operation – Annihilate: Operation – Stay Awake

I thought it was a pretty tense episode. I can't stand it when the creature smacks Spock on the back. How can you sleep with that woman yelling the whole time?
Old February 25 2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Steve67
Commander

For the most part, I really like it! The Mid-Century Modern college(?) is, too use a term of the period, "Far Out." It's an intense episode. I just think they shouldn't have brought Kirk's family into it. "Sam"? Ugh. The drama with Spock was more than enough what with his going blind. And I liked that curvy junior officer? I forget her name...Yeoman Zahra!

Now if I could only stay awake during "The Immunity Syndrome"!
Old February 26 2009, 06:59 AM   #4
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Steve67 wrote: View Post
For the most part, I really like it! The Mid-Century Modern college(?) is, too use a term of the period, "Far Out."
If you mean the location used for the episode, that's Space Park, in Redondo Beach, California. At that time, it was the headquarters for aerospace-tech company TRW Systems (now owned by Northrop-Grumman.) You can spot some of the places seen in the episode in the pictures on this page, including one of filming in progress.
Old February 26 2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Steve67
Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
For the most part, I really like it! The Mid-Century Modern college(?) is, too use a term of the period, "Far Out."
If you mean the location used for the episode, that's Space Park, in Redondo Beach, California. At that time, it was the headquarters for aerospace-tech company TRW Systems (now owned by Northrop-Grumman.) You can spot some of the places seen in the episode in the pictures on this page, including one of filming in progress.
Thanks for the Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo point of view!

That's one of the few times that I liked a real location as opposed to the soundstages. IMO those soundstages with the hum that sounds like someone's leaning on a Moog synthesizer, adds to the "otherwordly" feel. The desert locations, not so much. California's just been filmed by everyone, obviously.
Old February 26 2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Jeri
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak, thanks for the link. The second one has a picture of Star Trek filming there in 1967.
Old February 26 2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Jeri wrote: View Post
M'Sharak, thanks for the link. The second one has a picture of Star Trek filming there in 1967.
It's interesting to see the TRW employees watching the filming from the walkway overhead. I wonder if it was hard to keep them quiet during takes? From now on, whenever I watch that episode, I'll think of the spectators during those location scenes.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral

Nice episode. Could be better.

The whole 'Kirk's family' angle wasn't needed. He would have felt the same things, and gone through the same struggles, if it were just people he didn't know.

The first draft really played up Kirk's potential option of killing every living thing on the planet. Starfleet basically says, "It's up to you, pal. Count us out."

And I do absolutely love the blooper when the stagehand makes the vomit tag Nimoy on the ass. Between that and "The plants act as a suppository,' I don't know which makes me laugh more.

Joe, Mr. Giggles
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 06:00 AM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

As fans of Green Acres my sisters and I called the creatures "flying hotscakes"
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 06:13 AM   #10
Rageforthemachine
Rear Admiral

My girlfriends mother works there!
Rageforthemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 08:32 AM   #11
Neopeius
Admiral

If you mean the location used for the episode, that's Space Park, in Redondo Beach, California. At that time, it was the headquarters for aerospace-tech company TRW Systems (now owned by Northrop-Grumman.)
As a historian, I've gone to the archives in the base of the big building at Space Park. There's a spot in that episode where Kirk and Co. go under a bridge toward the cafeteria where I've had lunch several times. It was really, really cool to walk down there.. and imagine hundreds of pancake monsters waiting for me

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 01:03 PM   #12
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

WAIT -- Spock's not really blind!! He's got nictitating membranes!! Phew!! The ultimate in cheap, lazy writing. I should add it to that thread.

And overall I like the episode: Big, tough decision for Kirk (the heart of drama according to DGerrold) and a sacrifice on Spock's part, though mitigated.

My kids and I used to call the creatures "booger bats" by the way.
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 01:10 PM   #13
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Great pics. I have always thought it looked like a "modern" community college, myself. And the dudes in white, short-sleeve dress shirts -- I can almost see the slide rules and pocket protectors from here. (No offense -- thanks for the space program, people!)

And I have to say I like it when ST goes on location, since it just looks real-er. I like my sci-fi fantasy as realistic as possible!
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Tan Ru
Captain

Now if I could only stay awake during "The Immunity Syndrome"!

YES! IS is a sleeper as well. Glad I am not alone on that one as well...
Old February 27 2009, 03:30 PM   #15
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Neopeius wrote: View Post
As a historian, I've gone to the archives in the base of the big building at Space Park. There's a spot in that episode where Kirk and Co. go under a bridge toward the cafeteria where I've had lunch several times. It was really, really cool to walk down there.. and imagine hundreds of pancake monsters waiting for me
That is so cool! You are a historian?