Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 49 67.12%
Above Average 18 24.66%
Average 4 5.48%
Below Average 2 2.74%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 26 2009, 05:00 AM   #31
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Lost 5x07: "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The above theory about Ben killing Locke for the least amount of physical damage is a neat idea and I could definitely buy that being true.
Then why did Ben say that he will miss John so much?
Old February 26 2009, 05:01 AM   #32
Agent Richard07
Retired

The last two episodes have left me more convinced that the show will be returning to the traditional flashback format. Looks like we're easing back into it already.

Does anybody remember where the Ajira plane landed? I recall it being intact on the side of a mountainous hill.
Looked like it was just beyond the bushes on the beach.
Old February 26 2009, 05:13 AM   #33
Mr Light
Admiral

Hmm, maybe he'll miss John when he's dead, but then he'll be back alive on the Island again?

Why would Ben murder Locke and then take the body back to the Island? Surely he would realize it would be resurrected the way Christian was? Is Ben completely unaware of Christian?

Old February 26 2009, 05:18 AM   #34
Mr Light
Admiral

Or is it that Ben would be the only one able to see Locke's ghost? So that he could continue his role of "interpreting" orders from Jacob/Locke to the Others. But that doesn't make sense since he already knows that Hurley can see Jacob as well.

Old February 26 2009, 05:22 AM   #35
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

Hmm, maybe he'll miss John when he's dead, but then he'll be back alive on the Island again?

Why would Ben murder Locke and then take the body back to the Island? Surely he would realize it would be resurrected the way Christian was? Is Ben completely unaware of Christian?
No choice probably.
Old February 26 2009, 05:26 AM   #36
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Kudos to the writers for moving the story along tonight and not dicking around with it for several weeks like they normally would.
Old February 26 2009, 05:27 AM   #37
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Excellent. Beyond Excellent, in fact.
Old February 26 2009, 05:36 AM   #38
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Oh and whatever doubts I had about Ben were erased. He's a full blown son-of-a-bitch.
Old February 26 2009, 05:36 AM   #39
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

The only reason I can see for Ben killing Locke was that it was the only way for Ben to take control of the situation so that he himself could get back to the island. I doubt he really cares about the fate of any of the losties at all. He may have a fondness for Locke, but this is now the second time he's going to have killed him (though the first time didn't go so well). All Ben does is manipulate, and I doubt Locke... or anyone else... is nothing but a means to an end for him.

I suspect once Ben wakes up, he'll feed Locke a story involving Sun (it looked to me like that was the moment he decided to kill Locke, when he realized Locke hadn't spoken to Sun... he just couldn't do it until he got all the necessary info from Locke). As for Widmore, I don't consider him much better than Ben but his story at least made sense given what we know so I'm inclined to trust him for now... at least concerning his backstory.

Uh, anyway, excellent.
Old February 26 2009, 05:47 AM   #40
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

Velocity wrote: View Post
If Widmore was a good guy, Alex would still be alive, not to mention Carl and Danielle.
yeah ..locke i thought knew about the link between widmore and the mercenaries.

i think ben was concerned about locke meeting mrs hawking.
i also wouldnt be suprised if he knew that if he killed locke but took him back to the island that locke would come back .
Old February 26 2009, 08:59 AM   #41
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Above Average - Mostly due to the Locke awesomeness factor.

As far as what side is evil - Widmore or Ben - Both are 'bad guys'. And I suspect that Locke will lead a "3rd faction" to prevent either of them from gaining control of the island.
Old February 26 2009, 09:09 AM   #42
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

Arrghman beat me to my theory on why Ben killed Locke.

I think Ben's original plan was to use Locke to get the Oceanic Six back to the island, as he knew they were destined to go back and as long as he was in on the circumstances, he hitch a ride--his main objective. The only problem for Ben probably could've manipulated everyone into going back the way we saw him to so, other than Sun, as she wanted to kill him. However, he could use Locke to get to her. But when he finds out that Jin is still alive and that Locke has the ring as proof, he realizes that he can use this information to get Sun back. He knew Locke needed to go back as well, but as long as he was alive, he was now connected to Widmore. Safer to bring him back as a corpse.
Old February 26 2009, 10:01 AM   #43
chrisspringob
Commodore

Brent wrote: View Post
What was up with jack's breakdown? He acted like he's been visited by Locke repeatedly over the last three years or something like that?
He just misses the island and is in denial
I thought there might be something more than that. Jack defensively says something like "I'm not going back. How many times do I have to tell you?"...or something like that, after the *first* time Locke asks him. I was wondering if Locke had already visited him before this encounter, or something.

Other issues:

- So what exactly is Locke's status now? Did the Island actually bring him back to life, and he's 100% alive? If so, then I guess that would argue in favor of the same thing having happened to Christian, meaning that maybe Christian isn't just some kind of projection or something, as some had speculated in the past.

- How exactly does the timeline work re: Widmore's departure from the Island? He tells Locke that he was expelled by Ben, after having led the Others for decades. But Widmore had to have fathered Penny some time in the 1970s. Ben was just a kid back then. So was Penny born on the Island? She can't have spent much time there, or she'd remember it as an adult. Or maybe she *does* remember it, and just isn't telling Desmond for whatever reason? Or maybe Widmore is just lying?
Old February 26 2009, 10:22 AM   #44
chrisspringob
Commodore

Oh yeah.....and in "There's No Place Like Home", Jack tells Ben something like "Bentham told me that you were off the Island", but we don't see that happen in this ep. So that's another argument in favor of Locke having had more than one run-in with Jack.......either that, or it's just a plot hole.

Edit: Final thought: WTF must people in the outside world be thinking is going on after Ajira 316 crashes? A flight just happens to have (nearly) all of the Oceanic 6 on it, and they just happen to crash again? Imagine all the conspiracy theories.

Last edited by chrisspringob; February 26 2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old February 26 2009, 03:10 PM   #45
John Picard
Vice Admiral

EXCELLENT. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out, especially with Benjamin Linus.