Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 19 2009, 01:29 PM   #31
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile
Re: Highlander: The Source aka Highlander 5

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Plus, his gang of ultra cliched henchmen were just terrible and really 80s. Like something out of a Miami Vice episode.
I was really disappointed that Donnie Yen's character went out like such a punk. He is a talented martial artist (from the little I've seen of his work) and I'm sure could have handled much more than grabbing a sword and then going bye bye.
Old February 20 2009, 01:49 AM   #32
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
hyzmarca wrote: View Post
With Highlander 2, everybody knew that the movie they were making was total crap, but by then they were all contractually obligated to finish and didn't want to pay the penalties for quitting.
And at least Lambert and Connery looked like they were enjoying themselves. They had pretty good chemistry in both movies.
You know, Lambert looks like he's always having a good time in all his movies. I loved his 1990s post-apocalyptic version of Beowulf. And his small role in Southland Tales is just about the only thing about that movie that I did like.

God Magnus wrote: View Post
I was really disappointed that Donnie Yen's character went out like such a punk. He is a talented martial artist (from the little I've seen of his work) and I'm sure could have handled much more than grabbing a sword and then going bye bye.
I don't know if this helps matters, but in either the deleted scenes or the rough edit of the movie included on the bonus features, Yen's character commits suicide by sticking the sword into the wall and decaptating himself.
Old February 20 2009, 03:23 AM   #33
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Question: how did, if in The Source, we are supposed to be way way in the future, The Watcher survive?
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2009, 04:36 AM   #34
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^ I think The Source took place in a "near-future" where Joe could still be alive.
Old February 20 2009, 11:40 AM   #35
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

I dug up the current IMDb ratings for the various Highlander films/series.

Highlander: The Series - 7.6
Highlander (1986) - 7.2
Highlander: The Search for Vengeance - 7.1
Highlander: The Animated Series - 6.1

Highlander: The Raven - 4.9
Highlander: Endgame - 4.3
Highlander III - 3.8
Highlander II - 3.5
Highlander: The Source - 3.4

Of those, I've watched Highlander (1986), Highlander II, Highlander: Endgame, about 90% of Highlander: The Series, as well as all of Highlander: The Raven.... I certainly regret having watched Highlander II and The Raven.

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; February 20 2009 at 07:05 PM.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2009, 12:08 AM   #36
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

The Raven was almost good near the end. The problem was that they tried to make it a standard mid-90s adventure series with Immortals, essentially throwing out everything that made Highlander:The Series good in the process. They eventually figured this out and started moving the plots into more traditional Highlander territory, but by then it was far too late the save.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2009, 12:28 PM   #37
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
The Raven was almost good near the end. The problem was that they tried to make it a standard mid-90s adventure series with Immortals, essentially throwing out everything that made Highlander:The Series good in the process. They eventually figured this out and started moving the plots into more traditional Highlander territory, but by then it was far too late the save.
Yeah, back then I was permanently asking myself: "This is Highlander... so why the frak do they pretend that immortals/immortality do not exist?"
Old February 23 2009, 12:37 AM   #38
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I actually liked The Raven (or at least what I remember from it). Since Amanda was a very different kind of character than Duncan, the show reflected that, which was probably a good thing to go in a different direction than The Series. Only thing I really remember not liking was Amanda's blond, short haircut.

That at the fact that they made Nick an Immortal in the last episode, which really kinda contradicted many other plot points from earlier that season.
Old February 23 2009, 04:10 AM   #39
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Well you made up my mind. I ain't touchin' The Source. I loved, LOVE the original Highlander. I enjoyed The Quickening as a standalone. I... tolerated Final Dimension enough to see it twice in theaters. I really dug Endgame and I loved the television series as well. I think I've seen enough Highlander to last me a lifetime. I'll live if I miss HL5.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2009, 11:52 AM   #40
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Something I never understood myself: The TV series was fairly good, but when they started to make movies based on the series those films sucked just as badly as the other Connor MacLeod sequels. There was a time when I thought that a movie featuring Duncan MacLeod, Methos, and Joe Dawson couldn't actually go wrong. But somehow they manage to screw up every movie they make (with the exception of the first one).
Old February 23 2009, 12:55 PM   #41
Skywalker
Admiral

Endgame got butchered in the editing room, apparently. The story and the script were decent. Bruce Payne really hammed it up, but I thought both Adrian Paul and Christopher Lambert did fairly well with what they were given.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2009, 09:55 PM   #42
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Endgame got butchered in the editing room, apparently. The story and the script were decent. Bruce Payne really hammed it up, but I thought both Adrian Paul and Christopher Lambert did fairly well with what they were given.
Has there been an Extended or Directors cut with the butchering you mention restored?

As it was shown I liked it but if there is something more that would tighten the movie I'd be interested in seeing those frames.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 12:26 AM   #43
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

There's a rough edit available on the 2nd disc of the 2-disc version put out by Dimension Films several years ago. IMO, it's far worse than the regular DVD version. It's got all of this what does some random word spell backwards garbage.
Old February 25 2009, 09:35 PM   #44
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Sounds like they cut out a subplot with little to know tie to the main thrust of the story.

I liked Endgame as it was presented so maybe I won't go out of my way to catch the D.Cut version.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2009, 04:04 AM   #45
JuanBolio
Admiral

My thoughts exactly, though there were certainly a few scenes of Payne's that I really liked.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote