RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 426
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 22 2009, 07:25 AM   #16
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: This is Deadpool?

It wouldn't surprise me if they did this.
Old February 22 2009, 07:33 AM   #17
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

LutherSloan wrote: View Post
That looks more like another character. I sincerely doubt that is Deadpool.
No, it is indeed Deadpool, post-experimentation / disfigurement. There's a brief clip of it in the recent trailer, seen in this screenshot.

Seeing the Internet get butt-hurt over the film adaptation of something that spawned from Rob Liefeld's desire to draw Deathstroke, so he just ripped off the design, makes me laugh. That's the "abortion." Well, that and the baby-faced Wolverine with his hair all done up for the senior prom.

The Internet wrote:
Hey guys, you know what will really make me mad? I'll be really upset if Deadpool doesn't break the fourth wall and spend the entire movie talking to the audience directly and acknowledge that he is in a movie and then if he doesn't dragon uppercut Wolverine I'm gonna be super mad and I'm going to ruin so many lives. And he'd better have the costume he had in the comic books because THAT's Deadpool, nothing else.

It doesn't matter if he's a wise-cracking, arrogant ninja who runs around kicking ass and being an ass

I WANT AN AUTHENTIC DEADPOOL
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2009, 09:16 AM   #18
Thrall
Commodore

I'm not seeing this now. It's Ninja gear or no sale.
Old February 22 2009, 09:23 AM   #19
Capt_Piett
Rear Admiral

Well, with as many characters they're trying to cram into this movie, it's likely it'll be a clusterf*ck on the scale of Ratner's X3.....
Old February 22 2009, 04:42 PM   #20
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

JKTim wrote: View Post
No, it is indeed Deadpool, post-experimentation / disfigurement. There's a brief clip of it in the recent trailer, seen in this screenshot.

Seeing the Internet get butt-hurt over the film adaptation of something that spawned from Rob Liefeld's desire to draw Deathstroke, so he just ripped off the design, makes me laugh. That's the "abortion." Well, that and the baby-faced Wolverine with his hair all done up for the senior prom.

The Internet wrote:
Hey guys, you know what will really make me mad? I'll be really upset if Deadpool doesn't break the fourth wall and spend the entire movie talking to the audience directly and acknowledge that he is in a movie and then if he doesn't dragon uppercut Wolverine I'm gonna be super mad and I'm going to ruin so many lives. And he'd better have the costume he had in the comic books because THAT's Deadpool, nothing else.

It doesn't matter if he's a wise-cracking, arrogant ninja who runs around kicking ass and being an ass

Know what? I'm sick of that "Deadpool is just a ripoff of Deathstroke" thing. That may have been some of the motivation behind his creation, but the two characters are incredibly different in personality. Deathstroke is a serious character, while Deadpool is a wisecracker. Also, why should fans of the character not want to see him done properly on film? The fourth wall breaking, wise-cracking, merc with a mouth, with ninja gear and a red and black suit IS Deadpool. Where the hell do you get off insulting people that say what is true? If you're not a fan of the character, fine. But don't hate on the people that are. I'm sure you would feel the same way if a character you like were as thouroughly butchered as it appears Deadpool has been in this movie.
Old February 22 2009, 05:43 PM   #21
DanTheGrey
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DanTheGrey

When I first heard that Deadpool was going to be in the movie I actually got slightly more interested in the movie. I guess it's back to waiting for it on DVD after the carnage settles...
Old February 22 2009, 06:41 PM   #22
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The armblades are so un-cool. As mentioned above only Baraka ever did a decent job rocking those.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2009, 08:14 PM   #23
miraclefan
Commodore

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
What the hell is that? What part of that could even remotely be considered Deadpool? God damn it. Deadpool was the absolute number one biggest reason I was looking forward to this movie. To see that he has been reduced to that abortion makes me not want to see the film at all.
My sentiments EXACTLY! when I first saw this I was REALLY hopeing it was a joke This is a real shame to, because DEAD-POOL is my favorate Marvel charactor

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2009, 11:53 PM   #24
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

JKTim wrote: View Post

The Internet wrote:

Know what? I'm sick of that "Deadpool is just a ripoff of Deathstroke" thing. That may have been some of the motivation behind his creation, but the two characters are incredibly different in personality. Deathstroke is a serious character, while Deadpool is a wisecracker. Also, why should fans of the character not want to see him done properly on film? The fourth wall breaking, wise-cracking, merc with a mouth, with ninja gear and a red and black suit IS Deadpool. Where the hell do you get off insulting people that say what is true? If you're not a fan of the character, fine. But don't hate on the people that are. I'm sure you would feel the same way if a character you like were as thouroughly butchered as it appears Deadpool has been in this movie.
Let me put this to you clearly: In this film, Deadpool is a wise-cracking asshole (as shown by the trailers) -- that's why Ryan Reynolds was cast. If you're going to moan about him being scarred and disfigured (as opposed to getting his Spider-Man rip-off costume) -- in a film that's about fucking Wolverine -- you're watching the wrong movie.

And if you're looking for a fourth-wall-breaking, wise-cracking, ass-kicking ninja / mercenary ... you're really watching the wrong movie, since fourth-wall-breaking content is the kind of shit that confines a film to nothing but genre purists. The cartoons, animated movies and comics exist for the genre purists. What happens in another medium in no way affects the comic character.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2009, 12:42 AM   #25
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

When Deadpool talks they should have yellow subtitles.

Wow, so much anger over someone not liking the interpretation of a character that you don't care about.
Old February 23 2009, 12:47 AM   #26
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

Well this is what you get when you cast the film with a bunch of "faces" who are more concerned with getting their mugs in the camera and directors and production designers who feed their egos with less than stellar costume designs and obligatory mask removals at the end of most superhero films (and all three Spider-Man films). I've said this before and I'll say it again. When casting for a superhero film, cast an talented up and comer who is comfortable behind a mask for the majority of a film and can act with their voice. They're out there. I know someone will say that you need a known actor to sell a genre film, but Star Wars shot that theory down. Sell the universe. Sell the concept of a movie and you won't need a Cruise or Clooney or Pitt to try to sell your film and the production design will be a little more faithful to the source.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2009, 01:20 AM   #27
T'Baio
Admiral

Wow...this thread is reminding me of 1999.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2009, 01:41 AM   #28
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

blockaderunner wrote: View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again. When casting for a superhero film, cast an talented up and comer who is comfortable behind a mask for the majority of a film and can act with their voice. They're out there.
Hardly an 'up-and-comer', but to this day I remain impressed with the nuanced performance Hugo Weaving delivered as V (in 'V for Vendetta', of course) with only voice and gestures. But then, I've always thought Weaving has a great voice.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old February 23 2009, 03:24 AM   #29
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Amen to this. So that taken into account, even if they put him in the costume we wouldn't really get this Deadpool anyway, so there's no point in moaning, as much as I want to.

Deadpool and Gambit had epic fail written all over them from the start, Ryan Reynolds notwithstanding. I imagine Cyclops and Emma's cameos do too.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2009, 03:55 AM   #30
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I have to admit I have limited familarity with Deadpool but if he was given a suitably scarred face and they dropped the armblades but kept the new costume wouldn't it have worked somewhat? Kind of like Agent X maybe? An "adaptation" of the character to be sure but somewhat true?