Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 15 7.08%
Above Average 56 26.42%
Average 99 46.70%
Below Average 30 14.15%
Poor 12 5.66%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 20 2009, 10:57 PM   #16
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x16: "Deadlock"

Wasn't Aaron Douglas bragging that he got to choose his own number or something?
Old February 20 2009, 11:57 PM   #17
Berg417448
Commander

Aaron Douglas has said a lot of things that didn't turn out to be quite accurate. He also likes to joke around. One time he jokingly said his character killed Apollo and people took it seriously.
Old February 21 2009, 01:30 AM   #18
CaptainKit
Vice Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
It's a remake of the Voyager episode of the same name I hear, where a duplicate Galactica is created after it passes through a spatial scission.

That was a really great Voyager episode, which showed a hopeful future for the series. Unfortunately, it didn't ever live up to its promise.
Old February 21 2009, 03:29 AM   #19
Spider
Dirty Old Man

I voted poor. Just kidding. Well, it starts in 30 minutes. I wonder what new stuff we'll find out tonight?

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Old February 21 2009, 05:00 AM   #20
Berg417448
Commander

This episode just didn't do anything for me.
Old February 21 2009, 05:05 AM   #21
Spider
Dirty Old Man

Kind of a let down after the last couple of weeks. The previews for next week look pretty good.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Old February 21 2009, 05:06 AM   #22
Agent Richard07
Admiral

It was an average episode, but it had some good moments, you can feel the show winding down, and I'm feeling generous, so I'll vote 'above average'. I wasn't expecting a rockin' ride anyway. Things need to slow down for a bit.

It was nice to see Baltar back to his old shenanigans. His whole bit was well played. I was especially surprised to see Adama give him another warhead.
Old February 21 2009, 05:06 AM   #23
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Above Average. Definitely not as good as the last three weeks but still a pretty good episode. Michael Hogan really deserves an Emmy nomination. His crying sounds like laughing but his scene with Adama at the end was heartbreaking. Poor Saul.

Human or Cylon, Ellen Tigh is still a first-rate bitch. It makes you feel even more sympathy for Saul because he had to put up with that for TWO THOUSAND YEARS!

Liked the Soylent Green scene in the beginning and now we've got gang warfare on the Galactica. West Side Story?
Old February 21 2009, 05:09 AM   #24
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Average with above average moments. I've found a pattern developing this season with the odd numbered episodes being standouts while the even numbered ones halted the momentum and turned into very middling affairs.

Adama asked Tighe whether he had mythic revelations and that was definitely what this episode needed. Coming off the heels of the high-octane, densely plotted "No Exit" that lobbed tons of pieces of information at us that we chewed on for days afterwards coupled with this being itself one of the final five episodes, I expected much, much more from this one.

The Ellen/Tighe/Caprica Six love triangle with the dead wife returning only to find her husand had moved on and them getting back is complicated by a pregnancy is a clear soap opera staple. And as a one time soap opera fan, I have no objection to it. The only problem is I never really was all that invested in their marriage and I certainly have zero interest in the Tighe/Caprica Six instant love affair. Really I think Caprica Six, a once interesting character, has been shamefully wasted since season three when she defected with Hera.

Really I wanted this episode to carry the excitement and momentum from last week. Instead of insight into what happened to Starbuck we got moody Starbuck angst ho hum, instead of further insight into the Final Five's lives on Earth or why they were given warnings by the head entities or what happened to Cavil, we get Baltar's lame cult--one of the season's weakest elements. If by some miracle they actually make it payoff in an interesting way I'll gladly admit I was wrong. But for the better part of 15 episodes it has been a pointless aimless forced thread with a bunch of less than compelling cult members with zero acting abilities.

I never cared for Ellen but since last week I've really come to like her and Vernon's performance. It is interesting that her restored personality is different yet some of the spiteful Ellen is still there.

Other than that the episode felt like a mixed bag with a few scenes setting up things to come--the cult being armed, Anders' showing increased brain activity, some of the Five preparing to leave, Head Six returning.

I know it dealt with ongoing threads but felt like filler and with four episodes left it is disappointing. I mean how many times did we need to see the repair teams spackling the ship with the Cylon goo. C'mon.

Average
Old February 21 2009, 05:09 AM   #25
SeerSGB
Admiral

The "B" stories-- Baltar's and Adama's-- were more interesting that the "A" story. Lot of potential, but little pay off.
Old February 21 2009, 05:09 AM   #26
Chi'pok
Lieutenant

I voted Average; the episode felt very disjointed to me compared to the last couple of weeks. There were some good moments (Saul, Ellen, Six, the baby; the last scene); but it didn't cohere as well.

Hoping next week will be better...
Old February 21 2009, 05:10 AM   #27
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Above Average, but closer to the "average" side than the "above" side.
Old February 21 2009, 05:11 AM   #28
Agent Richard07
Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Liked the Soylent Green scene in the beginning and now we've got gang warfare on the Galactica.
I liked the "poverty in the fleet" feel from when Six was attacked. I wish the show had given us more of that over the years.
Old February 21 2009, 05:13 AM   #29
QCzar
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to QCzar Send a message via Yahoo to QCzar

This episode wasn't complete filler, since it did result in the oft lauded reunification of the Special Most-Awesomest Final Five. But Ellen's return was more than just a return to the ship. It was also a return to Ellen, which sank this very much into filler territory for me. As both Bill and Saul noted, her return didn't open the doors to any mystical knowledge. She just returned...meh.

The true definition of filler, IMO, is an episode that essentially sets up no really new tangents, nor answers any existing ones. This is quintessentially that.

I'll give a more in depth review later, but suffice it to say, this was quite average for nuBSG.
Old February 21 2009, 05:15 AM   #30
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I've noticed that whenever Bill looks at the ship's crumbling structure, he has this odd looking surprised look on this face. Anyone else find it, I dunno... odd looking?