Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 19 2009, 10:45 AM   #61
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Joss Whedon wins again.

gblews wrote: View Post
JKTim wrote: View Post
I can't say I was terribly impressed. It wasn't bad, but nothing really grabbed me at all.
My sentiments also. I was expecting more. My daughter had just shown me Dr. Horrible and that did get my hopes up. I'm not bailing though. I'll give it a full run, as it could get better. Hope it is at least given a chance.

Now to the important stuff; why has noone mentioned Eliza Dushku's legs anywhere in this forum? All of the Genre Babes and objectifying women's body parts threads and not a single mention. That little white dress, the heels, had me working the DVR. Anyway, more Eliza in little white dresses and heels.
I wasn't very impressed either. It was average at best but I'll give it a chance to see if it improves. Word that Fox executive messed with it has made me curious enough to see if he can improve the show.

I have to agree with you about the dress and Eliza Dushku's legs. Even my wife made a comment!

wamdue wrote: View Post
^ have you got a screenshot of that?
Check out the picture thread in TNZ. Someone posted an animated gif of her dancing in the dress. It's very nice!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 11:06 AM   #62
jongredic
Fleet Captain

I just managed to see it last night, I wasn't blown away to be honest. Watchable, but nothing special. As pilots go, it fell a little flat for me. The characters who actually have memories seem very hollow or one-dimensional to me, except the guy who does all the wiping/imprinting.

I didn't really care for Eliza Dushku's "I remember nothing" expression at various points, and I was surprised at the lack of wit and charming character moments you normally find in a Joss Whedon script.

Tahmoh Penikett put in a pretty good performance, I thought. So on the strength of that and the whole Alpha thing in the final scene, I'll keep watching to see how it pans out. I'm not really keen on a "memory of the week" style show though so I hope the main arc of the show starts coming to the forefront.

Then again, it's probably been cancelled while I was typing this. Damn you Fox!
Old February 19 2009, 05:53 PM   #63
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

wamdue wrote: View Post
^ have you got a screenshot of that?
I had to do it:

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

Large

She definitely has some nice legs.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 06:29 PM   #64
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

With movement (you likely need Neutral Zone access).

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 06:49 PM   #65
wamdue
Admiral

there is one shot in there, that looks like it might get FOX in trouble, if the superbowl incident is anything to go by
Old February 19 2009, 06:52 PM   #66
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Man, does she have beautiful legs...
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2009, 12:08 AM   #67
Top41

That dress was ridiculously short.

mrcoaster wrote: View Post
Top41 wrote: View Post
I wasn't blown away, but I was intrigued enough that I will keep watching. I'll be honest and admit that if this wasn't a Joss show I'm not sure I'd stick with it. Of all of the actresses Whedon has featured on his shows, Dushku might be my least favorite--I don't think she has the range the others do. Not that she's bad, but I always found both Faith an overrated character and Dushku not especially appealing.
Take that back! Take it back! How could you even say that?
*sniff*
I don't even know you any more.

Thank goodness Eliza won't read your hateful words!
*double sniff*
Awwww, I certainly don't mean to hurt the feelings of either Eliza or my dear, delicate co-mod. It's just that when I compare Eliza to Sarah Michelle Gellar or Alyson Hannigan or Emma Caulfield or Charisma Carpenter or Amy Acker, she kind of falls short. She's not bad by any means, but the others are just awesome.

jongredic wrote: View Post
I didn't really care for Eliza Dushku's "I remember nothing" expression at various points, and I was surprised at the lack of wit and charming character moments you normally find in a Joss Whedon script.
Same here. I wasn't totally sold on Firefly's premise at first, but I was pulled in by the characters and the witty dialogue right off the bat. The fact that most of the dialogue in this show could have been written by anybody was a little disappointing. Joss is special--Joss is a damn good writer. I expected more.
Old February 20 2009, 02:33 AM   #68
Tomato
Rear Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post

**snip**
I'll be in my bunk.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2009, 06:46 PM   #69
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Finally watched the pilot ep on my DVR last night. Watchable, but not spectacular. I wasn't drawn in. I wasn't thrilled. I wasn't giddy with excitement. I missed the humor that Joss usually brings to his shows. Dollhouse doesn't take off running.

Then I thought about Joss's other series. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Firefly. All of these shows start off okay - but not spectacular. Angel, as a series, evolved so much that watching the first episode feels odd sometimes. The interviews and articles I've read about Dollhouse indicate that there was some trouble getting the show going, but by the end of the 13-episode run, the writers claim to have really found a rhythm. It's possible that as the season progresses, things will get much more interesting.

I'm not ready to write the show off as a failure or a success. But I'll give it a chance.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2009, 10:19 PM   #70
Top41

^Good point about Whedon starting slow. That's my take on Dollhouse--not blown away, but it's Whedon, so I'm going to stick with it.
Old February 21 2009, 01:32 AM   #71
Kelthaz
Commodore

Whedon may start off slow, but his characters are always interesting from day one. Both Buffy and Angel had pilots that were boring, but also felt unique and had potential to grow. Dollhouse felt like generic FOX crap aimed at the 18-35 year old male demographic. The most interesting character in the show was a poor man's Knox. Dollhouse never should have seen the light of day.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2009, 01:55 PM   #72
Hermiod
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Dollhouse felt like generic FOX crap aimed at the 18-35 year old male demographic.
Heaven forbid us young men might have something to watch on TV. Never mind, though, I'm sure Joss will add some five foot nothing girls beating up marines just to make us all feel at home.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2009, 03:48 PM   #73
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

With the right imprint....er....."training", I'm sure an Active could do that.

The question is why one would be trained that way.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2009, 03:59 PM   #74
Hermiod
Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
With the right imprint....er....."training", I'm sure an Active could do that.

The question is why one would be trained that way.
As I said, I'm sure it's only an episode or two away. I just hope Joss doesn't waste an interesting concept by behaving like his show is on The CW.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2009, 04:45 PM   #75
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

Top41 wrote: View Post
That dress was ridiculously short.
That wasn't a dress. It was a shirt.
the 4th Hanson bro is offline   Reply With Quote