IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old February 19 2009, 09:49 AM   #16
SicOne
Commodore

Re: your ideas for new Starfleet technology

The technology that Dr. Ra-Havreii built for Melora Pazlar on Titan that allowed her to go pretty much anywhere on the ship in avatar form without subjecting herself to the rigors of full gravity. Later dialogue mentioned that he could offset the settings so that anyone attempting to grapple with her holographic avatar could not do her damage through feedback, and she could actually do more damage to them than a normal-strength human.

Think of what that could do for a starship security force. They could take on Hirogen borders with superhuman avatars, risk-free.

Assuming someone took out the Hirogen dampening field thingys first.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 10:34 AM   #17
Strider
Fleet Captain

SicOne wrote: View Post
Think of what that could do for a starship security force. They could take on Hirogen borders with superhuman avatars, risk-free.
For that matter, you wouldn't even need someone controlling the hologram. You could just send a legion of holographic Borg or Klingon warriors at them. Or burn them up with holographic fire or poison them with holographic nerve gas or get them hopelessly stuck in holographic taffy.

I mean, hell, you could have Emergency Engineering Holograms, Emergency Tactical Holograms, and so on and so forth. Except for maybe a small command crew of real people, you'd hardly need an actual crew at all. Or, just take out the need for crew altogether and just build sentient probes and make the most boring Star Trek ever. Once VOY got their hands on the whole holographic people concept they kind of let the genie out of the bottle and we just have to ignore it from now on.

On a side note, another technology I'd work on is a uniform better suited for away team missions than their Starfleet pajamas. This is the 24th Century for crying out loud. Give them climate-controlled biofeedback enhanced suits with tricorders and phasers built into the suit (phaser emitter in the glove maybe?). Also, a little more ablative body armor around the chest area would save on redshirts. I mean "The Siege of AR-558" was ridiculous. They were wearing the same pajamas only with a little more padding and no helmets or nothing.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

^For that matter how about some mechanized ground units? In the planetside actions we've seen, even the Jem'Hadar don't bother using a deflector-shielded tank. We do hear tell of "hoppers," which I guess are like helicopters or Hornets in Halo.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 05:22 PM   #19
DRACO
Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post
http://www.inpayne.com/trekfanfic/wolfx.html
http://www.inpayne.com/trekfanfic/wolfdetails.html

In a nutshell: An anti-Borg (or anti-starbase) starship that is essentially one giant antimatter cannon, inspired by the Doomsday Machine.
ouch o.0 that things gonna hurt!!!!

um, well, I have a few heres some

MFA's (Multi Functional Arrays): an array that not only can fire phasers, but has a particle replicator for firing any particle beam you can think of, with perhaps maybe poleron beam emitters or some other kind... depending on what you need, this could work two ways, having the emitters side by side, or to save space, having them phased at different frequencies to have whichever one you need at the moment phase into our reality when needed, but that might take allot of energy, not that warp drive doesn't xd, and if the phase shifter fails they all materialize and break lol

Federation Nanoprobes: just as the name suggest, heres how I would use them, built into the hull and systems of the ship to make repairs to damage, like of a biological create would heal a wound, how to integrate them thinking about that, some kind of microscoping fuild delivery system? blood of the ship? or have them phased work on new material and have it phase into place..

Neural interface, I mean come on, it's easier to control the ship if commands are issues at the speed of thought... also, an artificial ship inteligence would be neet as long as it doesn't screw you over.... lol, I'm sure thease have been covered thouh

Vibrational Frequancy Drive, based on String theory, if every space, has a unique frequency, designating that spot, by homing in and aligning to that frequecy, you should be able to instantly teleport there, also different times and dimensions have differen't frequencies so not only is this a FTL drive for distance, it's a time machine and inter-dimensional teleporter xd.... however it will never replace standard warp or other forms of transport..
beacuse you have to know the frequency of where you want to go, so your limited on exploration and what not because you DO NOT want to just go to a random frequancy because well, you could materialize into the core of a star for black whole or maybe a universe that is uncompatible with you and well, we don't want that do why?h

Deflecter Detection Shield Reinforcement, DDSR, ok name sucks but bear with my, if you use the sensors and deflector to detectect certain particles and vibrations, re-route the shielding through the dflector, you can shield from any particle or enery field by matching frequencies, why they haven't done that I dunno, oh yeah makes the plot to easy

EMP weapons, starfleet need one, to drain shields and main power, like the Breen used, it would allow you to disable the enemy ship, protecting yourself without having to kill anybody... xd but making sure the life support stays on... tricky xd

oh remeber the ESG (Electro Sphere Generater) the Lyrans had from SFC, that was playing dirty lol

Temporal Shielding, this idea obviously isn't mine, it's been around for awhile but good idea, IMO actually didn't the 29th century time protection agency or whatever actually use that in ENT, they had to escpae some how

Omega particle powersource would take care of any power problems but it's probably best not to go there...

I like Phased cloak and Transphaic torpedoes but those ideas are taken

thease aren't all starfleet tech but as the borg say "Assimilate"
Old February 19 2009, 05:28 PM   #20
DRACO
Captain

nx1701g wrote: View Post
My roleplaying game takes place in the 25th Century so we have explored some of these possibilities.

1.) Positronic Chips - Based upon the technology used in Lieutenant Commander Data and the research of Commander Bruce Maddox, Starfleet Engineers have been able to upgrade Starfleet vessels with positronic circuitry increasing their calculation capabilities and data storage.

2.) Hybrid Warp Core - exactly as suggested above.

3.) Tachyon Torpedoes - Tachyon Torpedoes are designed to disable the power systems of an enemy starship rather than destroy.

4.) Phoenix Torpedoes - Phoenix Torpedoes can bypass alien shields; however, they are volatile.

5.) Masking Circuits - Masking Circuits are the Federation outgrowth of the Treaty of Algeron. Rather than develop cloaking technology the Masking Circuitry can be used to minimize a Starship's sensor profile.
nice! I like the Tacheyon Torpedoe Idea, as for Phoenix torpedos how do they work, alien shield would differ from race to race, so could they be so reliable?

Positronic Chips, neet, whats the difference between Positronic circuits, Isoliner circuits and todays circuits, anyone know? the Isoliner chips use subspace to send info right?
Old February 19 2009, 08:20 PM   #21
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Photon rifle--
Projectile weapon firing 8mm projectile containing one gram of matter and one gram of antimatter, rather like a tiny photon torpedo.

Personal forcefield--
They already have it, they need to start USING it. Ranging from belt-mounted generator to vest-style for redshirts.

Portable tractor beam--
Wesley invented it, Starfleet should start using it. Handy for away missions and other bad situations where you really need to lift a girder off somebody and don't have an android handy.

Personal cloaking device--
Sure, Starfleet can use them for peaceful purposes. But the freaking Jem'hadar never signed the treaty of algernon, so we'd better start using them more often.
Hunter seeker--
A photon grenade equipped with a tricorder and a thruster pack. Automatically seeks out a specific target somewhere on the planet; basically, a hand-held fire and forget cruise missile. Non-lethal version can be used as a UAV for recon, surveilance, search and rescue, and emergency communications.

Portable microwave--
Because when the power goes out, you shouldn't have to heat up your coffee with a freaking hand phaser!
Old February 19 2009, 10:54 PM   #22
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
Photon rifle--
Projectile weapon firing 8mm projectile containing one gram of matter and one gram of antimatter, rather like a tiny photon torpedo.

What kind of range on that? I don't think I'd want to be too close.

The personal force field is a good idea and would lend a bit more credibility to the (budget-dictated) small arms combat Trek ground wars appear to consist of. On the other hand, the apparent diminished effectiveness of hand-held beam weaponry in DS9 (non-fatal burns and disruption as opposed to TOS/TNG style glowy disintegration) suggests that at least some kind of armor is being utilized in SF uniforms. (But ironically not Breen power suits.)
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2009, 09:57 AM   #23
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

-Some kind of thing to keep redshirts from being fatally wounded in firefights. You know, something that will block the brunt of the force from a blast. Coouldn't think of anything that could do that though.
-Some kind of thing to keep consoles from exploding. You know, something that would stop a power surge (and not shoving rocks inside the consoles might help.) Can't think of anything that could do that though.
-Some kind of thing to keep any old person from accessing the primary systems from anywhere on the ship and locking the bridge crew out of controls. Can't think of anything that could do that though.
-Some kind of thing to keep people from flying out of their chairs when getting shaken around in battle. Some kind of restraint, perhaps? Can't think of anything that could do that though.
-Some kind of thing to keep the warp core from catastrophically overloading every time Ensign Stupid McFumbles so much as sneezes near it. You know, like some kind of foolproof cutoff switch? Can't think of anything like that though.
Old February 20 2009, 03:46 PM   #24
Cmdr Sho
Lieutenant Commander

Location: in a VOID looking for the crew of the USS Eilerris with the captain and our other holograms

i would like to see nacelles integrated into starship hulls thus making the warp field smaller and possibly the ship faster (if that is possible?). i like the idea of EEH too.
Old February 20 2009, 09:01 PM   #25
Strider
Fleet Captain

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
-Some kind of thing to keep people from flying out of their chairs when getting shaken around in battle. Some kind of restraint, perhaps? Can't think of anything that could do that though.
This one was bugging me all week. And then the solution just hit me while I was out driving. I guess that's just where I do my best thinking or something idk.

Some kind of thing to keep consoles from exploding. You know, something that would stop a power surge (and not shoving rocks inside the consoles might help.) Can't think of anything that could do that though.
It's called a breaker box, and I sure wish I had one of those that time I turned on my coffee maker and my toaster at the same time. We were picking rocks out of hair for days after that mess.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2009, 10:52 PM   #26
Cmdr Sho
Lieutenant Commander

Location: in a VOID looking for the crew of the USS Eilerris with the captain and our other holograms

i would also like to see more of a personal transporter system. like a portable one... more holographic backups incase people die, and perhaps a hologram that can sustain its matrix on just organic food.

here is another idea...
a medical system that instantly diagnose a patient and automaticly begins treatment (if the patient is in serious enough condition).
Old February 20 2009, 11:15 PM   #27
hellsgate
Commodore

I'm surprised that no-one's considered Star Wars-like "mechs / droids" rather than holo-personnel in the infirmary & elsewhere.

If main power dies, a mech / droid requires neither holo-matrices, nor does it need air. Its taught how to (carefully) place personnel in EVA suits in the event of imminent catastrophic decompression, carry incapacitated personnel or tow a biobed to an escape pod, shuttle, etc.

Can fire its own on-board phaser system, attach site-to-site transporter devices (such as the one Data stuck on Picard,) & carry a limited containment field generator in the event it becomes necessary to carry a limited air supply due to trying to assist incapacitated personnel to a shuttle deck or escape pod. Can use nanotechnology to alter / replicate a multi-tool on the end of each limb, as required.
hellsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2009, 11:27 PM   #28
kv1at3485
Commodore

I think most of us realize what can be done, but there's no incentive to espouse. If one is committed to letting the brain juices flow we're talking about turning the ST universe upside down and inside and out. I mean, I (and no doubt a bunch of others) could go on for pages and pages doing just that, but what's the point? At least for me, it's not worth the time to try to fix ST.
kv1at3485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2009, 11:43 PM   #29
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I'd like to see, you know, pressure doors. Ships lose power spontaneously so often, that I really wouldn't feel safe with nothing but a forcefield between my nice breathable atmosphere, and the not breathable bits outside.

Sometimes I'll watch an episode where they won't be able to send a probe somewhere cause it's too fragile and sucky, and the thought occurred that a dedicated science ship could carry shuttle or runabout sized drones (remote controlled of course), which would be designed to withstand extreme extreme xtreme situations.

kv1at3485 wrote: View Post
I think most of us realize what can be done, but there's no incentive to espouse. If one is committed to letting the brain juices flow we're talking about turning the ST universe upside down and inside and out. I mean, I (and no doubt a bunch of others) could go on for pages and pages doing just that, but what's the point? At least for me, it's not worth the time to try to fix ST.
Have you ever been to the Trek Tech forum before?
Old February 20 2009, 11:54 PM   #30
kv1at3485
Commodore

Thankfully, my sarcasm detector still has sufficient sensitivity.

Anyway, I thought it a suitable reply to:
I'm surprised that no-one's considered...
kv1at3485 is offline   Reply With Quote