Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 20 2009, 05:44 AM   #61
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Re: Anyone Else Love "Whom Gods Destroy"?

"Garth..."

"LORD GARTH!!!!"

"Lord Garth..."
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2009, 01:36 AM   #62
Lord Garth

^ You rang?
Old January 21 2009, 06:34 AM   #63
Red Ranger
Admiral

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
^ You rang?
You should've said, "REMOVE THIS ANIMAL!" -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 02:36 AM   #64
Neopeius
Admiral

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
Neopeius wrote: View Post
Pretty good episode, especially for 4th season. Me and my wife liked it.
You're joking, right? Unless you watched this ep in an alternate quantum universe where there were four seasons of TOS. -- RR
How many are there in your universe?

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 02:07 PM   #65
Andorian Spy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I DO! Because of what others have said, and also because of Spock's little sarcastic touches throughout.

It drags a little here and there, but many Trek episodes sometimes do, in my opinion.

I haven't noticed Craigs' "folds" - where?

I heard that these days she pitches for the other team, if I have my '60s babes correct.
Andorian Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 02:37 AM   #66
Steve67
Commander

...And for a completely different look at Steve Ihnat...
Old February 18 2009, 06:29 AM   #67
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Steve67 wrote: View Post
...And for a completely different look at Steve Ihnat...
Interesting contrast -- I don't really remember that one but I know I must have seen it at some point. Jason Evers (Rael from "Wink of an Eye") there, too.
Old February 18 2009, 06:57 AM   #68
Gary7
Rear Admiral

It's kind of a nutty episode, but has some great elements in it. I too like the return of the neural neutralizer and the penal colony uniform (consistency). The "password" to beam up was really so obviously introduced to support this story, nothing else--we never hear of it again (big dent in plausibility). It would have been nice if they'd qualified it further... like anytime beaming up from a high security facility, a password is required.

However, the crowning points were definitely Craig and Ihnat. Yvonne was a very convincing Orion slave girl, insatiably sexy. Steve had a very convincing Star Fleet look about him--you could really see him as captain of a starship. And he was a convincing nutcase as well. If there had been a 4th season, I'd have liked to see him return after being rehabilitated.

Not quite a top 5 for me, but in the top 10.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 02:14 PM   #69
Steve67
Commander

I re-watched "Whom Gods Destroy" again recently and have to call attention to the "Shakespeare" scene when Garth ("Lord Garth!) tears Spock a new one by totally wiping the screen with Nimoy. Nimoy tries underplaying Ihnat's over-the-top take and it just doesn't work. Ihnat, and to a lesser extent, Yvonne Craig own this episode. I can count on one hand how many guest stars that can take a scene, let alone a an entire show from Shatner and Nimoy.

What's brilliant about Ihnat is that for the longest time he was a true acting "chameleon", always pulling me into a given performance and then only at the credits did I realize it was he I was watching! The Trek episode is one of his over-the-top performances (1968's Madigan is the other) and The Mission: Impossible appearance is as subtle as can be. He appeared on M:I three times, but none more memorable as intelligence agent Stefan Miklos.
Old February 18 2009, 02:54 PM   #70
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

I thought that scene with Garth and Spock really worked. Spock underplayed it perfectly. Was it something like,

Spock: Captain Garth, I -
Garth: LORD Garth!
Spock: As you wish. In any event...

I thought Spock's refusal to acknowledge the outburst was perfectly in character.

Loved the episode, especially the first time I saw it in the 70s and I didn't know all the twists.

And, yeah, Yvonne Craig is beautiful.
Old February 18 2009, 03:08 PM   #71
Steve67
Commander

Evil_Kirkneivel wrote: View Post
I thought that scene with Garth and Spock really worked. Spock underplayed it perfectly. Was it something like,

Spock: Captain Garth, I -
Garth: LORD Garth!
Spock: As you wish. In any event...

I thought Spock's refusal to acknowledge the outburst was perfectly in character.

Loved the episode, especially the first time I saw it in the 70s and I didn't know all the twists.

And, yeah, Yvonne Craig is beautiful.
Another part of that scene I like is Spock's acknowledgement of Kirk as a sort of "brother", which he again delivers in his inimitable fashion. I forget his exact words, but it's something akin to "The captain overstates it, but in essence, I consider him my brother." Someone will no doubt know the exact line.

If I ever get the chance to meet Yvonne Craig, I'd ask her about what it was like working with Steve Ihnat as well as her her experiences working with Robert Conrad and Ross Martin on "The Wild, Wild West" and James Coburn in In Like Flint. I'm sure it'd be refreshing to not talk about Batgirl for a change.
Old February 18 2009, 03:32 PM   #72
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Steve67 wrote: View Post
4) Yvonne Craig as Marta - After watching her here, I flipped on the Wild, Wild West season one DVD set and watched “The Night of the Grand Emir”, where the lovely Yvonne does another dance, back in 1965-66....
Original air date: 28 January 1966 (Season 1, Episode 18) - Yvonne played the character, "Ecstasy La Joie," who showcased her dancing.

I made a WWW - ST Crossover guest-star thread a couple years ago. Here are the Yvonne caps:

Old February 18 2009, 05:14 PM   #73
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Thanks for those screen caps, Jeri! She was stunning in any skin color. I just wish she had gotten a break into bigger productions...

Btw, do you have a link to that crossover thread? I tried searching on posts by your name with keywords like "crossover" and "guest", but nothing came up. Maybe they've rolled off the searchable archives...
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 05:32 PM   #74
Steve67
Commander

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I tried searching on posts by your name with keywords like "crossover" and "guest", but nothing came up. Maybe they've rolled off the searchable archives...
That happens here? Now I know why my "Walter Koenig: Teen Idol?" thread can't be found. I hope that fate isn't shared by this thread, as it's been a good one...I guess I'd better save it myself!
Old February 18 2009, 05:38 PM   #75
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Gary7, Yeah, they did a pruning of the board, I guess, maybe six months after the thread was posted, and it disappeared. There were a lot of interesting comments.

The screen caps remain at my mac.com photo albums, though. They begin in the Archival Album, where you need to scroll down until they start.

I posted some caps from other sites first; but after my Season One DVD's came, I started capping my own. My own caps start with "twww-luna-1."

They continue into the WWW Crossover Album. They are small sized, because there were so many; and I posted them all. I only worked on first season, but there were a lot of crossover guest stars. First season is black and white; they started color in second season.

There is also an album of France Nuyen from the movie, "Diamond Head," about 1962. You're welcome to click on any of the albums in the links. (I'm a big Mexican telenovela fan, which will become apparent.)