Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old February 16 2009, 04:31 AM   #16
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: Proof This is Not Our Earth?

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Maybe the 13th Tribe arrived at Earth in 1947 and crashed in Roswell, New Mexico.

In the 1000 years that followed, they found a way to insert themselves in normal Earth society. They breed with humans. Earth's population eventually becomes a bunch of Human/Cylon hybrids. Some of them (including the Final Five) still know about the other 12 Colonies and develop resurrection technology. The rest happens as we saw it.

Nobody ever said that Earth was empty when the 13th Tribe settled there.
Nope, when the Kobollian Cylons arrived at Earth it was the year 1980.
If Moore really wanted to piss people off and go for the LULZ, he'd got that route
Old February 16 2009, 04:33 AM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I'm still hoping for the revelation that BSG's Earth is actually "our Earth" (or that there's a "real Earth" which is our Earth) and that the whole series takes place in the far future. Maybe Kobol was actually Earth's colony and that 13th/Cylon tribe started to look for mankind's original homeworld when they left Kobol thousands of years ago?
That is my hope as well.

In fact, isn't there some early episode that has a scene where we look at Adama's military record and it lists the year as something like 25,000 years into the future?
Old February 16 2009, 04:34 AM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

SeerSGB, so perhaps the scriptures themselves pre-date Kobol. They may have originated on Earth-Prime and were updated/changed over the thousands of years that followed. It would explain Pythia, how the scriptures had the details to get to Earth. It's not because Pythia went to Earth with the 13th Tribe, but because Pythia actually went to Kobol in the long-forgotten Exodus from Earth-Prime.

I like this.
Old February 16 2009, 04:38 AM   #19
SeerSGB
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
SeerSGB, so perhaps the scriptures themselves pre-date Kobol. They may have originated on Earth-Prime and were updated/changed over the thousands of years that followed. It would explain Pythia, how the scriptures had the details to get to Earth. It's not because Pythia went to Earth with the 13th Tribe, but because Pythia actually went to Kobol in the long-forgotten Exodus from Earth-Prime.

I like this.
Basically yeah. The "Scriptures" might just be a record of the exodus from Earth-Prime that's been romanticized over the years till it became myth and religion.

Hell we [Earth Prime] could have made the first Cylons and had to run for it just like Kobol and the Colonies had too.
Old February 16 2009, 04:41 AM   #20
chrisspringob
Commodore

I've always asked myself... if there's no Earth (in the meaning of "our" Earth) in the BSG universe, what's the point of calling it Earth anyway?
Because that's what it was called in the 1970s BSG, and Moore wanted to reuse as much of the original's mythology as possible. I really don't think it goes any deeper than that.
Old February 16 2009, 06:30 AM   #21
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
I've always asked myself... if there's no Earth (in the meaning of "our" Earth) in the BSG universe, what's the point of calling it Earth anyway?
Because that's what it was called in the 1970s BSG, and Moore wanted to reuse as much of the original's mythology as possible. I really don't think it goes any deeper than that.
And we don't even have to acknowledge G1980 to realize that *our* Earth did exist even in the BSG-TOS universe:
Old February 16 2009, 06:52 AM   #22
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Is everyone forgetting the end of Season 3 when Earth is quite blatantly shown? The continents were not shown at the end of Season 4.5, and its quite possible its a different Earth but I doubt it.
Old February 16 2009, 12:52 PM   #23
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
I'm still hoping for the revelation that BSG's Earth is actually "our Earth" (or that there's a "real Earth" which is our Earth) and that the whole series takes place in the far future. Maybe Kobol was actually Earth's colony and that 13th/Cylon tribe started to look for mankind's original homeworld when they left Kobol thousands of years ago?
That is my hope as well.

In fact, isn't there some early episode that has a scene where we look at Adama's military record and it lists the year as something like 25,000 years into the future?
However, the dates from Adama's military record possibly mean nothing... because we don't know what kind of calender system the Colonials use. It most certainly isn't our Common Era/Gregorian calender.
Old February 16 2009, 01:37 PM   #24
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Well it really goes back to the cyclical nature of the show.

My pet theory, to explain why "Earth"-C(ylon) might not be "Earth"-Prime (our earth): Humanity Evolved on Earth-Prime, eventually we colonize other worlds, one of which is Kobol (maybe Kobol is the only one). For whatever reason Earth-Prime falls and its culture falls into the realm of myth and religioni. The Kobolian/Cylon war breaks out, the 12 human tribes head for what would become the colonies, the 13th start head in the general direction that scripture dictates was the location of Earth-Prime. Eventually they find a world that fits the bill-- maybe even an colony abandoned centuries before, they assume it is/call it Earth and settle it. Eventualy they make the same mistakes as the people of Kobol.

Jump to the Colonies a couple thousand years later and once again the pattern is repeating.
Earth Prime?

That sounds more like something that Braga would cook up, not RDM.
Old February 16 2009, 02:22 PM   #25
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

Nope, when the Kobollian Cylons arrived at Earth it was the year 1980.
NOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
Old February 16 2009, 03:22 PM   #26
SeerSGB
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post

My pet theory, to explain why "Earth"-C(ylon) might not be "Earth"-Prime (our earth): Humanity Evolved on Earth-Prime, eventually we colonize other worlds, one of which is Kobol (maybe Kobol is the only one). For whatever reason Earth-Prime falls and its culture falls into the realm of myth and religioni. The Kobolian/Cylon war breaks out, the 12 human tribes head for what would become the colonies, the 13th start head in the general direction that scripture dictates was the location of Earth-Prime. Eventually they find a world that fits the bill-- maybe even an colony abandoned centuries before, they assume it is/call it Earth and settle it. Eventualy they make the same mistakes as the people of Kobol.

Jump to the Colonies a couple thousand years later and once again the pattern is repeating.
Earth Prime?

Hey it works for a shorthand for a messageboard theory, now doesn't it?
Old February 16 2009, 03:34 PM   #27
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

^^^

And RDM decided to call Caprica Six "Caprica Six" because of the Internet's habit to distinguish between "Caprica Boomer" and "Galactica Boomer" (particularly in Season 1).

So if the term "Earth Prime" is used often enough in BSG forums, RDM would maybe even adopt that.
Old February 16 2009, 04:13 PM   #28
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Angel4576 wrote: View Post

Earth Prime?

Hey it works for a shorthand for a messageboard theory, now doesn't it?
So, either this Earth is the Sol/Terra Earth before our civilization rose (making BSG happen long in our past) or it's the Sol/Terra Earth long after our civilization spread out into space and abandoned the homeworld (only to be rediscovered twice).
Old February 16 2009, 04:41 PM   #29
Tom
Rear Admiral

Keep in mind to RDM has also been shadowing big classic BSG elements like the Pegasus. Is this his way of shadowing the Terra element being that Galactica finds Earth but its not really earth etc.. Th only thing missing now is the run in with higher powers like Count Iblis and the Ship of Lights etc..
Old February 16 2009, 07:04 PM   #30
SeerSGB
Admiral

FleetLord wrote: View Post
Keep in mind to RDM has also been shadowing big classic BSG elements like the Pegasus. Is this his way of shadowing the Terra element being that Galactica finds Earth but its not really earth etc.. Th only thing missing now is the run in with higher powers like Count Iblis and the Ship of Lights etc..
Daniel could be Iblis, thought not likely. Thoughthere is someone pulling the strings, and I think-- now-- that it's Daniel. We could still end up with Iblis popping up before the end.

The ship of lights could have been either the original Kobol Resurrection ship that came with the Cylons to Earth or the Resurrection ship built by the Earth Cylons.