Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 15 2009, 12:47 PM   #31
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: Joss Whedon wins again.

Colin Xavier wrote: View Post
Some ratings news, Dollhouse managed 4.72 million viewers with 2.0/6 for 18-49.

Can someone provide some context? what would a good figure be? what's this 2.0/6 mean?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 01:12 PM   #32
unimatrix7
Rear Admiral

trekkerguy wrote: View Post
Meh, ratings mean nothing. It's an excellent show.
I'm not expert, but I'd imagine they mean something to the people paying for the show, yeah?

Anyhow, I just finished watching it. It's not bad...but not wonderful either. I'm not really sure what to think of it, to be honest. It didn't impress me terribly, but I wasn't totally put off by it either. We'll see what happens next week

Also, Eliza Dushku is still awesome. That is all.
unimatrix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 01:15 PM   #33
Hermiod
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
But added together I'm beginning to see them less as "strong, independent women" and see it more as "Joss totally has this superior-female sexual fantasy where he gets all hot at the idea of being beat up by a woman."
I'm seeing it as, "forget the chicks, where are the hot guys?" It's ok when a show has a strong, butt-kicking women, such as Larren from SG:A, but there must be a Shep in the show for her to beat up.
I'm watching you, Vorta!
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 05:37 PM   #34
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

trekkerguy wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Should the "Save our Show" campaign be started now?

Ummm.. where have you been? It started no less than 6 months ago. I'm not kidding.

The show wasn't anything close to a win, and the ratings will prove it. Canceled within 5 episodes.
Meh, ratings mean nothing. It's an excellent show.
The ratings mean the show will be canceled, and from the polls on here to the reviews to what I saw, most won't give a damn if it does. Even the fanboy base here thought it was mainly average.
Old February 15 2009, 09:23 PM   #35
Tomato
Rear Admiral

I liked it!!

And damn can eliza move.. The woman is soo fine.. Too bad it will get canned though. I felt it deviated enough from JOss' typical one liners and snappy comebacks. Can anybody point me to the Save the Dollhouse website.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 09:42 PM   #36
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

JKTim wrote: View Post
I can't say I was terribly impressed. It wasn't bad, but nothing really grabbed me at all.
My sentiments also. I was expecting more. My daughter had just shown me Dr. Horrible and that did get my hopes up. I'm not bailing though. I'll give it a full run, as it could get better. Hope it is at least given a chance.

Now to the important stuff; why has noone mentioned Eliza Dushku's legs anywhere in this forum? All of the Genre Babes and objectifying women's body parts threads and not a single mention. That little white dress, the heels, had me working the DVR. Anyway, more Eliza in little white dresses and heels.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 09:47 PM   #37
wamdue
Admiral

^ have you got a screenshot of that?
Old February 15 2009, 09:47 PM   #38
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
But added together I'm beginning to see them less as "strong, independent women" and see it more as "Joss totally has this superior-female sexual fantasy where he gets all hot at the idea of being beat up by a woman."
I'm seeing it as, "forget the chicks, where are the hot guys?" It's ok when a show has a strong, butt-kicking women, such as Larren from SG:A, but there must be a Shep in the show for her to beat up.
I'm watching you, Vorta!
Well I'm very watchable.

So what gives with this show? The Dolls' added abilities are mental, so doesn't that mean they should be chosen for their physical attributes? In addition to sexy young females (and guys) for prostitution, there should be big beefy guys to do the butt-kicking jobs (why injecte Sierra with the memories of a trained assassin when they should have a stable of seven-foot-tall bodybuilders that they could do the same with?) and ordinary looking people in cases - such as hostage negotiation - where looks are either irrelevant or bland looks would be a benefit.

A Shep would fit right into this scenario, not as the victim of a dominatrix (the dominatrices are the ones in demand and who get paid after all) but as a suave gigalo type romancing rich women who are bored with their hubbies and their various straying, unreliable lovers. Some brainwashed guy who will never cheat on you or look at another woman because he can't would be immensely appealing to a lot of rich women interested in having their egos stroked by a harem of dumb, good-looking males.

In fact, I'd bet that would be the one area in which the Dollhouse really has what we in marketing call a USP - a unique selling proposition - that the competition (non brainwashed people doing the same job) cannot match and therefore allows you to charge a higher price. Do men really care if a hooker is just pretending to like being with them, and shows it? I doubt it. No advantage for Dollhouse, so they cannot charge a premium price and the business makes no sense, since their costs are obviously much higher than for the average prostitution ring. But our lobotomized Shep really does love only his sugar mama at any given time - no faking required. There's your USP.

This is a dumb show, but it's fun thinking up what specific jobs really could be "done better" by brainwashed zombies. I doubt there are many, but gigalo is one. How about others?

Can someone provide some context? what would a good figure be? what's this 2.0/6 mean?
Maybe not as horrible as it seems - Friday night sucks, after all. That rating allowed Dollhouse to tie for first in the 18-49 demographic, and it built on T:SCC's lead-in. So that would be survival-level ratings, assuming it doesn't drop next week, which it will. The show needed to get much better ratings than that for the premiere in order to survive the expected drop that all shows get, especially the ones who are highly touted but fail to deliver.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 10:11 PM   #39
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

wamdue wrote: View Post
^ have you got a screenshot of that?
No I don't, unfortunately.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 10:37 PM   #40
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

I thought it was good, not great - just good

but some of the critics online are saying something very different

http://blogs.pioneerlocal.com/entert...on_starts.html
'Dollhouse' review: Whedon starts slow, can he finish strong?

http://screenrant.com/early-ratings-...-brusimm-5540/
The real mind bender comes from the network insiders who say that these kind of numbers on any other night would mean certain doom by the third episode of any show. But being on Friday nights actually gives it a fighting chance since Fridays are notorious for weak numbers to begin with. Go figure. So for now, all of us in the Whedon-sphere have to somehow convince all of our friends and neighbors that they want to watch this show!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021203994.html
'Dollhouse' Deserves To Be Condemned

TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 10:49 PM   #41
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

But being on Friday nights actually gives it a fighting chance since Fridays are notorious for weak numbers to begin with.
If they can avoid a precipitous drop next week that is. And shows like this almost always drop - look at all the sampling it got around here and a lot of people aren't coming back.
Old February 16 2009, 12:43 AM   #42
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

On the other hand, since terrific shows according to this place always seem to get canceled, maybe the inverse will hold true as well?
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 12:45 AM   #43
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

No, bad shows get cancelled too. Remember My Own Worst Enemy? Talk about a show with basic problems with its premise!
Old February 16 2009, 02:05 AM   #44
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Talk about a show with basic problems with its premise!
I thought we were talking about a show with basic problems with its premise, we are still talking about Dollhouse right?
Old February 16 2009, 04:01 AM   #45
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

To be fair, Firefly appeared to have "basic problems with its premise" at first too. They managed to establish a world in which such things made sense given time. Maybe this will too.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote