Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 14 2009, 11:02 PM   #16
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Re: "Do you believe in aliens"

I believe, that within the vastness of the Universe, that they is a very, very high possibilty that life exists somewhere other than Earth. I believe that they is a good possibilty that a small portion of that life is sentient.

However I do not ignore the very, very, very minute possibility that life of Earth is all there is.

None of this takes faith at all.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 11:55 PM   #17
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I certainly believe in aliens. It seems absurd to believe that out of the trillions of planets inhabiting the cosmos we are the ONLY ones. As for UFOs - I'm open to the idea but would need more conclusive evidence, say... a craft landing on the white house lawn.
Old February 15 2009, 12:09 AM   #18
Kryton
Admiral

I do believe other worlds may well be inhabited.

Have any visited our planet in the last thousand years? Not very fucking likely.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 12:44 AM   #19
Dale
Vice Admiral

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I believe, that within the vastness of the Universe, that they is a very, very high possibilty that life exists somewhere other than Earth. I believe that they is a good possibilty that a small portion of that life is sentient.

However I do not ignore the very, very, very minute possibility that life of Earth is all there is.

None of this takes faith at all.
You're right. It takes no faith in any way to say "maybe, maybe not."
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 12:55 AM   #20
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
Another reason I find alien visitation hard to believe is how did they find us? Out of the trillions of stars and planets out there, they just happened upon our planet and got lucky?
We're blaring out some pretty powerful radio signals. Anyone passing within, say, 60 light-years of us would have a chance of noticing them.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 01:02 AM   #21
Gertch
Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Another reason I find alien visitation hard to believe is how did they find us? Out of the trillions of stars and planets out there, they just happened upon our planet and got lucky?
We're blaring out some pretty powerful radio signals. Anyone passing within, say, 60 light-years of us would have a chance of noticing them.
If so, wont they just go where the Earthlings keep saying they want to go? "Bang, zoom, straight to the moon!"
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 01:05 AM   #22
Pingfah
Admiral

The nearest solar system with planets is 10 light years away though, so that's not saying much to say that anything passing with 60 light years would pick us up.
Old February 15 2009, 01:08 AM   #23
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

True. Although that distance will of course increase with time. Can't predict how weak our signals would have to get before they couldn't be distinguished from background noise, though.....
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 01:08 AM   #24
Daneel
Rear Admiral

I am certainly not going to say that I know for sure that there is life on other planets. Nor am I going to say that there isn't. I simply don't know one way or the other, and until I have proof, I'm just going to stick with that. It's the same approach I take to the notion of God.

I will say, though, that given the immense size and complexity of the universe, I'm inclined to think that there is a very strong chance that there are other intelligent species out there. If there isn't, that would be disappointing... and an awful waste of space.

Michael Chris wrote: View Post
No, I do not. Wouldn't be surprised, but no.
Do you mind if I ask why? Do you think the existence of aliens will conflict with your strong Christian beliefs in some way?

Just curious.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 01:09 AM   #25
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Lindley wrote: View Post
Yeah, but I can't even get the new digital signal from a half hour away if there's a wind storm.

So I imagine they're going to think we died out around last year some time.
Maybe they'll learn from our mistakes and never develop reality TV
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 02:43 AM   #26
Danoz
Rear Admiral

Tachyon Shield wrote: View Post
I wish we would speed up our space programs, at the end of the day there could be a malevolent species out there who are developing faster than we are and when they start going out into the cosmos they might find us and decide they wanna get rid of us. We should prepare for worst case scenarios and buck our ideas up.
Better safe than sorry.
Good luck getting the funding for your space army .
Danoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 02:49 AM   #27
Danoz
Rear Admiral

I don't really know. I certainly don't think I will see contact with intelligent aliens in my lifetime. And, yeah, people who say they are "sure" are certainly shooting on par with religious faith. Whose to say an angel or spiritual dimension isn't just as likely? I think it's funny when pro-alien people get all emotional and offended when you suggest their "belief" is as far-fetched as the religions that they mock.
Danoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 03:04 AM   #28
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Trekker, not getting sucked back into this argument again.
Old February 15 2009, 06:03 AM   #29
hellsgate
Commodore

Annoying or not, there's a significant chance of another earth-like world that's developed a parallel, technologically-equal or technologically-superior set of beings. I have to believe that there's more to the Milky Way than us, beings that have screwed the pooch as significantly as we have, & possibly learned from it (or not.) I have to believe that one day the Governments of our world will allow us to know The Truth. That we've had beings from underground or deep beneath our own oceans or from a relatively-nearby earth-like world aware of us for centuries, trying to find out how to better themselves, protect themselves from us or something more along the lines of M.I.B. with Will Smith & Rip Torn.
hellsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 11:56 AM   #30
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

Given the fuckers have been harvesting my organs for the past decade or so, then yes.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote