Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: How do you grade Friday the 13th?
A+ 1 6.67%
A 3 20.00%
A- 1 6.67%
B+ 4 26.67%
B 1 6.67%
B- 0 0%
C+ 1 6.67%
C 0 0%
C- 1 6.67%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11 2009, 06:20 AM   #16
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

Aragorn wrote: View Post
You know, this would never happen (at least on the big screen), but what if they had a Justice League/Avengers/League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... but with horror villains? What if there was something so bad out there that Freddy Kreuger, Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, Pinhead, Candyman, Leatherface and whoever else were brought to try and stop it? Granted, since only half of them even speak, there might not be much in the way of dialog.
Well, it's not quite Justice League style, but you can get a taste of that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ZTcHrSRvQ

Just go to about 7:20 into the video.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2009, 08:24 AM   #17
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

I saw it last night at an advanced screenin' here in Austin (went in costume, too, so go me!).

Not really a fan of the franchise, but I have seen the first & seventh movies...but I was really pretty impressed with the reboot, so I'll give it a B+.

I took a buddy with me, huge horror fan (he gave me the Jason costume in the first place), and he really enjoyed it, judgin' by his, "Oh, shit!" "Oh, fuck!" "Oh, he's goin' to get axed!" comments durin' the movie.
Old February 11 2009, 08:29 AM   #18
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

<-- I'm all set!
Old February 11 2009, 04:52 PM   #19
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
I took a buddy with me, huge horror fan (he gave me the Jason costume in the first place), and he really enjoyed it, judgin' by his, "Oh, shit!" "Oh, fuck!" "Oh, he's goin' to get axed!" comments durin' the movie.
Exactly what was going on in my theater.
These type movies tend to be interactive and that seems acceptable with these slasher flicks. I'd be pissed if someone was talking about what Joker might do next in TDK but not "Oh, hell that wood chipper is back in play" isn't a comment that irritates me during this type movie.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2009, 08:10 AM   #20
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Exactly what was going on in my theater.
These type movies tend to be interactive and that seems acceptable with these slasher flicks. I'd be pissed if someone was talking about what Joker might do next in TDK but not "Oh, hell that wood chipper is back in play" isn't a comment that irritates me during this type movie.
Well, unless its someone literally yellin' at the screen, "What are ya doin' runnin' 'round in the woods at night for?!" I don't think anyone really complains.

It probably helped that he & I had pretty isolated seats - the aisle on his side, a gap for a handicap/wheelchair patron on my side, and an aisle in front of us, seperatin' our row from the front rows of the theater.

Had a few friends over tonight, to watch the original Friday the 13th (the new deluxe uncut edition on DVD), and a couple of 'em didn't even know that Jason wasn't the killer in the movie. When Mrs Voorhees showed up, the girl asked, "Well, who is that supposed to be?"
Old February 12 2009, 05:50 PM   #21
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Well, unless its someone literally yellin' at the screen, "What are ya doin' runnin' 'round in the woods at night for?!" I don't think anyone really complains.
This was what happened when we went to see 'Dead Silence' a while back. These three very loud, obnoxious teen-ish girls were sitting in front of us periodically questioning everything that happened, like they didn't know what the movie was. Every time one of the dummies came on screen, one of them had a loud fit and refused to look at the screen.

The collective audience, us included, eventually shamed them to near-silence, lest they suffer the same fate as Mary Shaw's victims.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 08:10 AM   #22
Aragorn
Admiral

Roger Ebert gives it two stars (average), but this was pretty funny...

So far in the series, he has been drowned, sliced by a machete in the shoulder, hit with an ax in the head, supposedly cremated, aped by a copycat killer, buried, resurrected with a lightning bolt, chained to a boulder and thrown in the lake again, resurrected by telekinesis, drowned again, resurrected by an underwater electrical surge, melted by toxic waste, killed by the FBI, resurrected through the possession of another body, returned to his own body, thrown into hell, used for research, frozen cryogenically, thawed, blown into space, freed to continue his murder spree on Earth 2, returned to the present, faced off against Freddy Krueger of "Nightmare on Elm Street," drowned again with him, and made to emerge from Crystal Lake with Freddy's head, which winks.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 11:43 AM   #23
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Dread Central's put up two reviews. One trashing it, one praising it.

It doesn't have to do much to be better than the original(s), but I'll be crossing my fingers anyway. I'm sure this will be one of the scarier Jasons we've seen onscreen, but part of me will miss the supernatural aspect, where he became more of a monster than a regular slasher.

Still, I'm hoping it'll be fun.
Old February 13 2009, 09:40 PM   #24
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I'll be seeing it tonight. I'm pretty hopeful.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old February 13 2009, 10:16 PM   #25
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Now that I know the burlap bag is back i'm going to see it for sure. That has always freaked me out.
It was far creepier than the hockey mask in my opinion.
Old February 13 2009, 11:55 PM   #26
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Had a few friends over tonight, to watch the original Friday the 13th (the new deluxe uncut edition on DVD), and a couple of 'em didn't even know that Jason wasn't the killer in the movie. When Mrs Voorhees showed up, the girl asked, "Well, who is that supposed to be?"
Them and Drew Barrymore's character from Scream, right? Yeah, pretty much everyone else is wise to the gag by now.

I've caved in and watched virtually all the big name horror remakes of the last six years. Hell, I even own a few on DVD. Friday the 13th... that is, the 1980 original... is my favorite horror film. It, like Halloween, is fine just the way it is. At least I think so. Still, I'll probably want to see it just out of curiosity. When I do that is still up in the air, although that list of female cast members is admittedly enticing....

BTW, Spiff, your Jason avatar freaked me right the fuck out. Nice!
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 11:55 PM   #27
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Roger Ebert gives it two stars (average), but this was pretty funny...

So far in the series, he has been drowned, sliced by a machete in the shoulder, hit with an ax in the head, supposedly cremated, aped by a copycat killer, buried, resurrected with a lightning bolt, chained to a boulder and thrown in the lake again, resurrected by telekinesis, drowned again, resurrected by an underwater electrical surge, melted by toxic waste, killed by the FBI, resurrected through the possession of another body, returned to his own body, thrown into hell, used for research, frozen cryogenically, thawed, blown into space, freed to continue his murder spree on Earth 2, returned to the present, faced off against Freddy Krueger of "Nightmare on Elm Street," drowned again with him, and made to emerge from Crystal Lake with Freddy's head, which winks.
I don't think they ever got Jason back to Earth proper did they?
The FvJ is a sidebar standalone movie.
I was left with the impression that he was still in the future on that Earth 2. Personally as cheesy and satirical as the series had become by pt.10 I wanted one more that got him back to the present and maybe a scenario where part is left in the future. 2 Jasons two timelines. !!1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 11:59 PM   #28
Aragorn
Admiral

The fake Jason in Part V wasn't that bad, but if the makers of the new franchise continue to combine storylines from all the movies, maybe fake Jason can run into real Jason.

So how does Jason get a classic hockey mask in the movie if it's set in the present? Then again, I guess he wouldn't be so menacing in this:

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 03:25 AM   #29
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I just got back. I give it a 'C'. I think they spent too much time on needless distractions with the kids and should have spent a little more time on Jason and Mom. And that ending seemed really forced.

Still, better than Rob Zombie's Halloween.
Old February 14 2009, 07:19 AM   #30
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

It was definitely a fun movie. I saw it with a fantastic crowd so there was tons of cheering, hissing, gasping, squeaking (from a girl behind me) etc. A worthy successor to the first series IMO.