New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 13 2009, 05:42 AM   #31
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Re: *~*~The Great J/C Thread~*~*

I always liked to think that their chemistry would prevail, no matter what. That's why I wrote a ficlet "Crossroads" while back where I wanted to put Chakotay in a position to choose: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4411290/1/Crossroads
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 06:01 AM   #32
joyofvgr
Lieutenant Commander

Somehow I've already read that as well. Very nice. The only thing that gave me pause is that I couldn't see Janeway really seducing Chakotay until she knew Seven was out of the picture. But I must say the chemistry was perfect!!
joyofvgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 06:09 AM   #33
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

I didn't see her trying intentionally seduce him, or that being her main motive to invite him over, but more of him (and her too) remembering what has been between them despite his involvement with Seven, and things just happening.

But what are your thougts about baby fic? I must say that I am not huge fan of it, but there has been good baby fics written. I do fiddle babies/kids in my J/C pics sometimes. Here is one:

Old February 13 2009, 06:24 AM   #34
joyofvgr
Lieutenant Commander

I like Baby fic, I know many are really against it. Sheri has written the most baby fics I've read. That's a great fiddle btw!
Old February 13 2009, 06:43 AM   #35
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

^Thanks!

es! wrote: View Post
It's really hard to pick one! But in the connection to what I said above, Filling The Void by Spiletta would be my favorite! The author agrees that it would take J/C a lot to come together in the DQ and shows us how much would be needed for them to cross the line... all the moral consequenses included.
Me has never read this one! Me has to put it in bookmarks to get back to it when the time is better.
Old February 13 2009, 07:04 AM   #36
leola
Lieutenant

Aside from ff.net, many stories are at www.jcville.com
leola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 09:28 AM   #37
es!
Commander

Tach, I'm glad I could serve with a tip! *salutes*

As for babyfic... I am a babyfic-hater. The problem is, that it's just too sweet and too unrealistic. Everybody wants KJ to get twins. These authors usually have NO idea how much work a baby (one baby!) is. Then they make her to breast feed and captain her ship in between. Pfft.

One of very very few babyfics I liked is "One is for Sorrow" by Teya. This one is realistic.
es! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 06:18 PM   #38
freak
Commodore

Hi! I'm a HUUUUUUUGGGGEE J/C fan! BTW, love the OP's pic in the beginning! SO CUTE! I love fanfiction..very addicted to it. I was never a fan of Endgame, so I imagined a different ending by the fanfic. And just pretended that Vgr ended the way of fanfic.
I'm not a huge fan of babyfic or whatever it's called, but I've read a few. And I did like Seven as well..I only bash her cause I'm jealous of her gorgeous figure. Perfect hair, perfect eyes, perfect, perfect, PERFECT!
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 06:20 PM   #39
es!
Commander

freak wrote: View Post
Hi! I'm a HUUUUUUUGGGGEE J/C fan! BTW, love the OP's pic in the beginning! SO CUTE! I love fanfiction..very addicted to it. I was never a fan of Endgame, so I imagined a different ending by the fanfic. And just pretended that Vgr ended the way of fanfic.
Welcome to the club, freak!
es! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 06:59 PM   #40
leola
Lieutenant

There's a slowly growing bunch of Voyager fis on the Pathfinder site as well www.fictioning.net
Not a huge fan of babyfic; I love the epi-add-ons that fix the gaping holes sometimes left. And I love post-Endgame fic and Endgame fixers... seem to have a real softspot for those
Old February 13 2009, 07:30 PM   #41
JustKate
Rear Admiral

I don't want to spoil your fun -- and I don't really think I will, since most of those participating in this thread seem to at least halfway agree with me about the...well, let's say, the complexities of a J/C romance in the Delta Quadrant. But this is something that's really bothered me for a while (ever since Voyager first started, actually), and I've always buttoned my lip. Always. So I hope you don't mind if I unbutton to you all -- I realize I'm probably not going to tell you anything you don't already know, but bear with me, OK? This isn't directed at anybody in particular, and not even to anybody here, as far as I know, but really at all those swooning J/Cers (and you know they're out there, right?) who simply cannot imagine anything more wonderful and romantic than C sweeping J off her feet right there on the bridge and living happily ever after in the DQ, OK? Thanks.

When people speculate about J/C in the Delta Quadrant, I can't help but imagine how I'd feel if I were a member of that crew. And it would be, for most crew members (anybody except maybe those looking for surrogate parents), simply awful. If you've ever been around a work environment in which the boss is romantically involved with a subordinant, you know what I mean. And even if you haven't, you can still probably imagine how weird and uncomfortable it is.

I know, I know -- it's fiction. But if fiction is to have any value, it has to be based on real human values and behavior. And out here in the real world, if a superior and a subordinant get romantically involved, one of them has to go elsewhere because otherwise the workplace becomes unbearable for everybody else. You can't do that if you're stranded in wrong sector of the galaxy.

I think that when the Trek PTB decided to dispense with rules against fraternization (which they apparently did: I remember at least one specific reference to this in TNG -- that time Picard got involved with whatshername, the redhead who wasn't Dr. Crusher), they did so for one reason only. That is that if they followed the commonsense rules that us humans have to follow out here in the real world on real ships or in other real work environments, it would limit their potential plots too much.

Trek isn't alone in this, of course -- it happens in TV/Movie World all the time -- but it really bugs me every time. [ sarcasm ] God forbid that a fussy little rule that all decent, ethical people at least try to follow here in Reality Land bars Riker or Picard or Kirk or Troi (or any of a thousand other TV characters that have done this sort of thing) from engaging in a romance that happens to fit into a particular episode. We can't have ethics get in the way of our plot, now can we? [ / sarcasm ]

OK, I'm done. Really! You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited by JustKate; February 13 2009 at 08:27 PM.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 08:20 PM   #42
leola
Lieutenant

I hear you, and agree that if it's badly done, it's ... badly done.

To me, the 'making it work' is what makes the stories great. I love the internal struggles to be 'more than' human and not interfere with the rest of the ship. I also enjoy the protocol-rationalizing that happens, reminding them of their Starfleet duties first and foremost, facing situation in which one may have to leave the other in a dangerous situation, or send/be sent to die. Just the day to day professionalism of not seeming to play favourites can make for a good read.

Some fanfic is nothing more than words on a screen, created out of love for these fictional characters. Love doesn't necessarily equal talent, however, and there are some fanfics that don't compel me to read past a few lines.

Some fanfic is absolutely stupendous; those that are well-written and fully explore many different aspects of the humanity (Klingonity? Vulcanity? Borgity? Talaxianity?) which includes emotional needs are true keepers, in my book (pun intended). I love the struggles and the race/chase more than the catch/win, more often than not for epi-add-ons. Endgame fixers (my fave) carry on after that, and the catch/win can proceed in many, many ways.

*off to search for some links*
Old February 13 2009, 08:28 PM   #43
joyofvgr
Lieutenant Commander

Actualy it is reality. There are many people who do meet and get married at work, even where fraternization is frowned upon.My parents, my sister and her husband, and my husband's sister and her husband all met at work. That's where I met my husband also and we kept our relationship quiet and our behavior professional due to the non-fraternization policy along with other things, like not wanting to make others uncomfortable. I worked for a very large fortune 100 company and there were so many marriages. At one point we were considering putting all the couples on the cover of the annual report and say we were a "growing company."

I agree with Leola. It's interesting to hear how they deal with protocol and the crew and their responsibilties on the ship. I think it's more real than being stranded with someone you're attracted to for seven years and never acting on that attaction or addressing it at all. But all of that aside, I think it would have been great if during the last episode J/C disclosed that they had been together, since Janeway received the letter from Mark in Hunters, but kept their relationship discrete. That would have been awesome!
Old February 13 2009, 08:30 PM   #44
teya
Vice Admiral

es! wrote: View Post
Teya,

I'm not really a C/7er but this pairing got me hooked first (well no wonder, I haven't seen the first half of the show when I had ben watching it for the first time). I can't express how much I love your C/7 fics! Unfortunately there are not more of them *hint hint*
Or have you given up writing ff altogether?
Aw, thanks. :blush:

I haven't given it up completely, just been way too busy with RL to do anything. I'll get back to them eventually.

Tachyon wrote: View Post
I personally always acknowledge the existence of C/7, but I would never kill Seven in my stories, or want to read one where she is killed. I like her and I aim to treat her respectfully in my stories.
Very cool. "Die Seven Die" turned me off of J/C completely. I'd never been a huge fan, but the amount of hate disguised as "humor" in some of those stories just poisoned the 'ship for me.

One thing that I liked about Seven was that she was blunt to the extreme, and yes sometimes a cold bitch. That was her way and I did not find it offending in anyway. And that was the reason why The Doc kept these social lessons for her. So the woman we saw in Endgame was, for me, someone I had not seen before. That teary, crying woman was not the Seven I had seen before or learnt to like. So Endgame was not just one big middle finger pointed towards J/Cers, but it also ruined Seven for me.
Funny, I don't remember her crying. Saddened by what the Admiral told her, saddened that she felt she had to end the relationship, but no more tears than she shed at One's death, or at Icheb's recovery.

But I like to think C/7 as I see Worf/Troi - anyone knew Troi and Riker belonged together, so Worf was a little phase in the between. And according to Voyager relaunch books, that is what it ended up to be.
I just look at Endgame as resetting the timeline. Going by the theory that anything that can happen does happen in its own quantum reality, there is now a timeline for every conceivable (and inconceivable ) 'ship. There's a J/C timeline, a C/7 timeline, a J/7 timeline, and so on.
Old February 13 2009, 08:38 PM   #45
JustKate
Rear Admiral

joyofvgr wrote: View Post
Actualy it is reality. There are many people who do meet and get married at work, even where fraternization is frowned upon.My parents, my sister and her husband, and my husband's sister and her husband all met at work. That's where I met my husband also and we kept our relationship quiet and our behavior professional due to the non-fraternization policy along with other things, like not wanting to make others uncomfortable. I worked for a very large fortune 100 company and there were so many marriages. At one point we were considering putting all the couples on the cover of the annual report and say we were a "growing company."

I agree with Leola. It's interesting to hear how they deal with protocol and the crew and their responsibilties on the ship. I think it's more real than being stranded with someone you're attracted to for seven years and never acting on that attaction or addressing it at all. But all of that aside, I think it would have been great if during the last episode J/C disclosed that they had been together, since Janeway received the letter from Mark in Hunters, but kept their relationship discrete. That would have been awesome!
There is a difference between getting involved with a coworker and getting involved with your superior, particularly if that superior is your captain. That's nothing like getting involved with the guy/gal in the next cubicle...and it's not even a whole lot like getting involved with the guy/gal who has a slightly bigger office than you.

And as for "unrealistic," heck, as far as I'm concerned, and apparently as far as Janeway is concerned, if you're captain of the ship that's your priority. Is that unrealistic? No, I don't think so. Everything else has to take a distant second, even Chakotay. Of course it wouldn't be easy, and I probably couldn't do it because I personally think Chakotay is hot hot hot. That's one reason why I should never be a captain. A captain is supposed to have qualities that the rest of us don't have, and that includes the discipline to (almost always) put the needs of the crew ahead of your own needs. And in my experience (and I do have a little), really good military leaders DO have qualities that the rest of us don't have.

And I personally wouldn't think being lied to for several years, which is what your last scenario would have meant to the crew, would be "awesome," but hey, different strokes...

Last edited by JustKate; February 13 2009 at 09:28 PM.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote