TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 13 2009, 01:38 PM   #16
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Re: Watching Farscape for the first time (limited spoilers please)

Farscape introduced some of the best and most complete alien characters ever to grace the small screen. Equally bizarre, horrifying, and eye catching. Keep watching you will not be dissapointed.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 01:55 PM   #17
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

I don't know why they call it Farscape.

A better title would be "The John Chriton Show" because that's essentially what it is.

I'm a fan of Farscape, but I can't stand Ben Browder's crappy overacting in this series. It makes me feel very conflicted.
Old February 13 2009, 04:26 PM   #18
Mr Light
Admiral

I thought Browder was an excellent actor in Farscape. I always remember the scene where he's being tortured and driven insane and he's sitting there in the cell quietly saying "Danger Will Robinson, Danger, Beware of the Chair", it sounds like horrible dialogue but when he delivers it you can really see him slowly going insane and breaking his will in his teary ice blue eyes.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 04:48 PM   #19
scorpius1701
Fleet Captain

I think once you get past "Jeremiah Crichton" the show really takes off.
scorpius1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 04:52 PM   #20
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I didn't "get" the show when I tried to watch it occasionally on SCIFI. Years later I had to forcefeed myself three or four episodes a day on disc through most of the first season until I started loving it, but at first that was kind of like someone holding my head underwater.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 05:53 PM   #21
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post

A better title would be "The John Chriton Show" because that's essentially what it is.

I'm a fan of Farscape, but I can't stand Ben Browder's crappy overacting in this series. It makes me feel very conflicted.
That's funny. Browder's "overacting" as you call it was one of the more memorable things about the series for me. I thought that it was a perfect thing for the character, showing his increasingly unstable mental state. I mean, anyone who was put in his situation would start to come a bit unhinged.
Old February 13 2009, 09:16 PM   #22
Mr Light
Admiral

That's one of the many cool things about Farscape, the slow evolution of Chricton's character. I don't want to spoil where he goes, but he does NOT stay an idealistic peacenik scientific explorer forever!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 09:27 PM   #23
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post

That's dumb.

Are all movies and TV shows only supposed to be titled after the main character?

"Why do they call it Star Trek? They should call it "The Captain Kirk" show!"

M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 12:28 AM   #24
species5618
Commodore

scorpius1701 wrote: View Post
I think once you get past "Jeremiah Crichton" the show really takes off.
Ha! That's the next episode I'm supposed to watch...I've gotten as far as "Rhapsody In Blue" (1x13...though some websites list it as 1x12).

There's a website that ranks tv show episodes by votes cast (www.geos.tv), so I went to check out Farscape--out of 90 episodes (88 episodes + Peacekeeper Wars which they count as 2 episodes), "Jeremiah Crichton" is ranked dead last, at #90.

At least this is the worst the series gets, and they get it out of the way early on in the show's run.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
species5618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 12:51 AM   #25
zog
Captain

It offers a unique take on fantasy meets reality.

Someone already mentioned Crichton's personality morph to what they considered overacting, but many fans saw as a rational character evolution.

In fact, Farscape offers a unique take on just about all of the scifi conventions, and as most've said, pretty much gets going around A Bug's Life. But the story arcs never reach the heights of, say, a Babylon 5, when it comes to complexity.

Also, each season is pretty different from what went before (what the creators likened to a 'different flavor'), so a lot of viewers became put off when the flavor continued changing past the point they found sweetest.

It can get pretty "out there" at times, but even the weak ones have worthwhile scenes (Jeremiah Crichton starts with 5 minutes of valuable character interaction, and Crichton and D'Argo later share a decent moment, although in fairness even the devoted find this one mostly shite).

Last edited by zog; February 14 2009 at 01:02 AM.
zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 01:08 AM   #26
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

I loved Zhaan, and Chiana, and even Sikozu, but John Chriton and his retarded personality with moronic pop-culture references really dragged down the fun and enjoyability of the show.
Old February 15 2009, 06:03 AM   #27
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If nobody's bothered to answer yet...It's called Farscape after the spaceship Crichton used to get thru the wormhole in the first place.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 04:19 PM   #28
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Farscape, Babylon 5 and Firefly, three of the absolute must see gems in space opera/science fiction and just damn good TV storytelling, period. All three defy the conventions of their genres and approach their characters as PEOPLE, rather than just plot devices.

Beautiful stuff.
Old February 15 2009, 05:25 PM   #29
species5618
Commodore

I just finished 1X20, 'The Hidden Memory' and whomever upthread said it took till around the last quarter or so of season 1 to get good was absolutely right. Now I'm definitely liking this show.

I was particularly impressed with Scorpius as a villain--he has a quiet menace about him I find pretty chilling.

Going to most assuredly keep watching this...
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
species5618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 06:04 PM   #30
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Scorpius ruleth in the highest.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote