Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 13 2009, 12:27 AM   #1
cal888
Lieutenant Commander

Watching Farscape for the first time (limited spoilers please)

I had long been interested in trying Farscape out, but Netflix didn't have the first season and to buy it on DVD would be incredibly expensive for a blind buy. But I was able to order the Australian version of the first season for 20 bucks and it came today.

I was hoping the board's Farscape fans could suggest some things to look out for in the first season as I start to watch it. Any bad episodes that I shouldn't unfaily judge the series by? And which are the ones I should really pay attention on?

Thanks
cal888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Watching Farscape for the first time (limited spoilers please)

Stick through it through the first season, the latter seasons are even better. The wackiness throws people off sometimes, just stick with it, you won't regret it.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 12:49 AM   #3
species5618
Commodore

I'm up to 1x11, halfway through the first season...

...it gets better though, right? So far it's been pretty much standalone episodes with the usual tv formula of a problem presented to the protagonists and eventually solved by the protagonists within the hour ("Throne For a Loss" and "Thank God It's Friday, Again" come to mind). There is some character development, especially with D'Argo and Zhaan, but I thought this show featured serious story arcs. Perhaps it's more of a season 2 thing...

Love Claudia Black, though.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
species5618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 02:07 AM   #4
Hyperspace05
Commodore

"PK Tek Girl" is one of the better ones in the early part of the season (the first episode I saw, and it hooked me) - and it does have some repercussions down the line.

But the final few episodes of season 1 are *very* strong IMO...

If you don't like the show much after that, I wouldn't bother continuing.

As for story arcs, they certainly do appear and become more intense in later seasons - Although beyond a couple 2/3-parters the show never gets completely serialized (like '24').

Last edited by Hyperspace05; February 13 2009 at 02:21 AM.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 02:07 AM   #5
HighteeHeller
Rear Admiral

I'm always so happy to see a new Farscape thread started.

The first season starts off a little slow but by A Human Reaction things really start to pick up and begins to shape what happens throughout the rest of the series.

<----I'm a fan, can ya tell?
HighteeHeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 02:24 AM   #6
Praetorian
Captain

Yes, by the end of the season it gets significantly better. I enjoyed alot.
However for me the Second season was quite a disapointment. At least the first half. The second half ain't bad at all..
I do intend to see the Third season but haven't found affordable dvds...
Can't explain the disapointment without spoiling you so I won't! Let's just say the show didn't took the direction I thought and hoped it would.
Old February 13 2009, 02:24 AM   #7
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

The thing with Farscape (like Babylon 5) is that things you thought were throwaway alien-of-the-week bumf become a lot more important as you get deeper into it. So it's best not to discount anything straight away, because you never know.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 02:31 AM   #8
chrisspringob
Commodore

species5618 wrote: View Post
I'm up to 1x11, halfway through the first season...

...it gets better though, right? So far it's been pretty much standalone episodes with the usual tv formula of a problem presented to the protagonists and eventually solved by the protagonists within the hour ("Throne For a Loss" and "Thank God It's Friday, Again" come to mind). There is some character development, especially with D'Argo and Zhaan, but I thought this show featured serious story arcs. Perhaps it's more of a season 2 thing...
It gets better late in Season 1 (the last 6 or 7 episodes or so), but then the quality drops again in early Season 2. About midway through Season 2, the quality picks up big time, and it starts to get more and more serialized. Mid-season 2 to the end of Season 3 is fantastic. But the seeds of that story arc are planted in those late Season 1 eps.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 02:39 AM   #9
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Most of the first season is rather typical sci-fi, basically introducing the characters. But watch for Crichton to put on a Peacekeeper uniform - it's never the same after that.
Old February 13 2009, 04:08 AM   #10
V
Commodore

Farscape's season finales are actually FOUR part episodes; that is, four episodes AT THE END of a season, not including the start of the next season.

The Farscape season 1 finale is when it started REALLY, REALLY getting good.

Mild spoilers: the Primary villain of the entire series isn't actually introduced until the season one finale.
Old February 13 2009, 04:16 AM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Oh wow you're in for some good times!

The first season is unrepresentative of the show as a whole. It underwent a serious change in its character and whole approach near the end of the first season - going from something that seemed too kiddie to something far more adult. Watch the premiere, then if you get bored, watch "PK Tech Girl," "Durka Returns," and start watching in earnest with "A Bug's Life."

And when you get to "Bad Timing" at the end of S4, no spoilers, but just remember: some of us watched that thinking that was the end of the whole series! The preceding episode was titled "We're So Screwed." Well, it's funny now.

And I am shocked and amazed Netflix doesn't have S1! What the frak errrr frell is going on!?!?!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 05:02 AM   #12
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

"Jeremiah Crichton" really, really stinks as a season one episode. Please discount it. Don't judge the rest of the series' quality by that episode. It's extremely dumb. I do agree that the season one finale episodes are high quality and that's when the series really, really takes off.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 05:05 AM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with everybody here. The first 3/4 of Season 1 are pretty basic scifi. Not awful, but not particularly exciting either. "A Bug's Life" is when it starts to get really good and the story arcs begin.
Old February 13 2009, 05:27 AM   #14
Mr Light
Admiral

Farscape is one of my top five favorite shows ever, but the first season isn't very good. It's not until 1X19 that the show finally begins to deliver on its promise. And a lot of the early episodes are just terrible. I recall "Thank God Its Friday Again" being particularly annoying. But by S2 rolls around it becomes the most amazing show... and S3 is even better!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 05:59 AM   #15
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

The third season is far and away the very best, but don't discount the rest of the show. I'm really sad that the DVDs are so hard to come by. I would love to own this show.