TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 41 58.57%
Above Average 23 32.86%
Average 4 5.71%
Below Average 1 1.43%
Poor 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 12 2009, 04:21 AM   #31
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Mr Light wrote: View Post
We did learn something new about Cerebus. Robert told Rousseau that Cerebus is a security system that specifically guards the Temple, giving it a brand new importance to the mythology.
Was I out to lunch for that? I don't recall that conversation. I think I may have picked a bad time to go to the washroom.

We all knew that Smokey was a security system. Rousseau said that in "Solitary." But I stand corrected.

By the way, as I said in the commentary thread, Robert's death went down just like Rousseau said in Season 1's 7th or 8th episode. That's continuity!
Old February 12 2009, 04:21 AM   #32
Mr Light
Admiral

Another new Cerebus thing: it possibly converts people into followers when it drags them underground. The "sickness" Rousseau killed her team for.

Reviewing the info on Rousseau, we also did not see her team discovering the Black Rock.

Anyone notice how the odd numbered eps this season are awesome, and the even numbered eps are just ok?

Old February 12 2009, 04:22 AM   #33
Agent Richard07
Retired

So, was anyone surprised that Hawking was Faraday's Mother?
Not since we cleared that up last week or the week before.
Old February 12 2009, 04:25 AM   #34
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Reviewing the info on Rousseau, we also did not see her team discovering the Black Rock.
I clearly missed some important Rousseau stuff. Was the Smokey bit in the Dark Territory near the Black Rock?

From "Exodus:"

Danielle: This is the Dark Territory; where Montand lost his arm.
Old February 12 2009, 04:25 AM   #35
Mr Light
Admiral

Reviewing the Lostpedia page on Rousseau: After killing her teammates, she goes to the Radio Tower and changes the signal. Three days after that she gives birth. A week after that the black smoke column appeared and the Others took Alex.

If I recall tonight's ep correctly wasn't there a black column on the day she killed Robert? If so is this a continuity error, or Rousseau lying/misremembering her past?

Also, Rousseau claimed the Others infected her teammates with the sickness in S1. And we didn't see her hearing the Whispers for the first time, either.

Old February 12 2009, 04:27 AM   #36
Mr Light
Admiral

Rousseau revealed it was a security system in the S1 finale, not "Solitary" Rousseau initially said the tower was in the Dark Territory with the Black Rock... but when we went to the radio tower in S3 finale it was nowhere near the Black Rock.

If she said Montand lost his arm in the DT (don't remember), that places the Temple in the Dark Territory. Interesting.

Old February 12 2009, 04:33 AM   #37
Mr Light
Admiral

Referring to Lostpedia for The Temple: Ben said it's 1.5 days walk from the Barracks, and a map showed it to the northwest. This would not put it in Dark Territory. Of course sometimes they give directions that seem to indicate the Swan is on the north side and the Barracks are on the south side of the Island, inverting the blast door map. That always confused me.

Also interesting, Alpert and Others were there for sanctuary in S4. Ben sent Alex and Rousseau there for safety in S4, but the Losties weren't allowed in for some reason. Ben said it's "not for them".

Is this because Cerebus is in the Temple and would kill them if they went in there? Or because they would get the "sickness" and become brainwashed Cerebus acolytes like the Frenchies?

Old February 12 2009, 04:33 AM   #38
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Well, I have to give this episode an Excellent. This season has been the best since season 2 IMO. Hopefully it can keep it up.
Old February 12 2009, 04:39 AM   #39
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Referring to Lostpedia for The Temple: Ben said it's 1.5 days walk from the Barracks, and a map showed it to the northwest. This would not put it in Dark Territory. Of course sometimes they give directions that seem to indicate the Swan is on the north side and the Barracks are on the south side of the Island, inverting the blast door map. That always confused me.
I wouldn't put much stock in where things are supposed to be. For instance, you can infer like three different locations for The Staff based on past episodes. I think that's why we've never been shown anything concrete.

And before you come after me with the Blast Door Map, that's not completely trustworthy either. First of all, it's not to scale at all. Second, who the hell knows how trustworthy Kelvin and Radzinsky are?
Old February 12 2009, 04:44 AM   #40
Mr Light
Admiral

Yeah the location of stations on the blast door map are screwy. The Staff is close to the Swan; the Flame is very far away. Yet the Flame is between the Staff and the Swan on the map.

The Island geography is my pet project for the show. I would really love if they just released one official map of the Island and all the locations.

Old February 12 2009, 04:46 AM   #41
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

There was a map by some journalist posted in the spoiler thread. I know you don't like to be spoiled, Mr Light so I'll go find it. I poked like seven holes in it on first glance.

EDIT: Here it is.

Points for whoever points out what is bullshit about this.
Old February 12 2009, 04:51 AM   #42
Mr Light
Admiral

Another Rousseau explanation we need to see: she was around for the final four years of the Dharma Initiative. She was there for the Purge when the entire Island was gassed with poison gas. How did she survive? Did the gas only get dispersed at Dharma locations, so she was safe out in the jungle? Because the implication we've gotten is that the gas reaches EVERYWHERE on the Island, hence the threat of Faraday having to disable it in "Other Woman".

Old February 12 2009, 04:54 AM   #43
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Did the gas only get dispersed at Dharma locations, so she was safe out in the jungle? Because the implication we've gotten is that the gas reaches EVERYWHERE on the Island, hence the threat of Faraday having to disable it in "Other Woman".
Sort of. The Purge happened in '92 by the current reckoning. So Rousseau was around. She should have been killed. But she wasn't.

Have you heard the commentary for "The Man Behind the Curtain?" They went back and shot the gas grenade being pulled on second unit because they wanted it clear that the gas was not island wide.

I don't get it either. But that's what Damon and Carlton have to say.
Old February 12 2009, 04:56 AM   #44
Mr Light
Admiral

Oh I just remembered something else. Christian seemed to indicate the reason why the time flashes are screwing with everyone is because Ben pulled the wheel and not Locke. I didn't see that coming. I guess it has to be the actual true spiritual leader of the Others to pull the trigger, and not the disgraced former leader? If this is true, then I really doubt Widmore was the true spiritual leader who Donkey Wheeled the Island back in the 50s/1992 and got exiled for it.

Ah! Theory! In 1992 the Others kill of Dharma in the Purge. The decision was Widmore's, who at that time was the leader alongside Alpert. Ben, who can see Jacob, conned them all. He said that Jacob said to move the Island and Widmore had to do it. This exiled Widmore from the Island and made Ben the new leader. This is why Widmore wants revenge on Ben for taking "his" Island.

Old February 12 2009, 04:57 AM   #45
Mr Light
Admiral

My understanding of the "Curtain" reshoot was that originally the gas just hit Island-wide and Roger died in the van from no apparent stimulus. So they changed it to a) make the reason for Roger's death more understandable, and b) give Ben a more direct role in killing his father. So the reshoot doesn't change the fact that the gas is Island-wide, it's just that Ben tossed a gernade there anyway to directly kill his daddy for revenge (or the Others made him do it as a test of loyalty).