Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 11 2009, 03:15 PM   #16
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: S.S. Enterprise UEV-47

uniderth wrote: View Post
Hey thanks for the replies everyone. This is probably one of my favorite ships. Maybe because we know so little about it.

1. But as for the story behind it I'm one of those that doesn't consider Enterprise part of Star Trek. So this ship would be in the place that the NX-01 is. So if you want to consider this my own little trekiverse then that's fine.

But anyway, this ship exists around 2150s through the Romulan War(I'm also working on a story about this) and the founding of the Federation. This ship is later donated to the newly founded Federation and became the U.S.S. Enterprise XCV-330 matching the registery seen in TMP. XCV possibly means eXChange Vehicle. A designation given to vessels donate to the Federation.

Warp technology in this version is not as primitive as in ENT. The Vulcans didn’t hold Earth back. Vulcan ships engines aren’t round, they’re like those on First Contact. The round engines are Earth technology.

The second captain of this ship is Captain Jonathan Stiles ancestor of the Lieutenant Stiles of the TOS episode Balance of Terror. The first captain isn’t decided yet but Stiles is the main character.
Sounds fine to me, I've seen speculative service dates for the Jefferies Class around 2143 so 2150's would fit nicely too. So is she around Warp 6 or 7 on the TOS scale?

I know you don't consider Enterprise canon but the Vulcans managed rather well with Warp 7 ringships. I could see this ship being the Earth equivalent.
Old February 11 2009, 06:44 PM   #17
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Your backstory and design sounds good. Personally, I've never been convinced that the ringship was a Warp Vessel. It could have been a sub-light cruiser of the 21st Century, or might possess a FTL drive that predates Warp Drive, though not as fast/effective as the later invention.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2009, 06:46 PM   #18
Sin87
Lieutenant

I've just found a great site on this vessel. It's very detailed so I suggest taking a look.

http://www.trekplace.com/article13.html
Sin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2009, 08:50 PM   #19
EmperorKalan
Commander

Sin87 wrote: View Post
I've just found a great site on this vessel. It's very detailed so I suggest taking a look.

http://www.trekplace.com/article13.html
You beat me to it. That page has almost everything on the "ring ship". It's worth noting that photos or paintings of the ship appeared in "Enterprise": in the pilots' bar in the episode involving earlier NX ships, and in Starfleet HQ after the Xindi mission and time Nazis. So that ship actually did exist in the ENT continuity, sometime prior to the 2140s.

My take is that it was a separate warp-reseach project, trying to replicate Vulcan-style torroidal nacelles instead of further developing Cochrane's cylindrical design.

Also take a look at:
http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...dcentury03.jpg

That's a page from the 1980 Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology, which is where the liner concept comes from. Rick Sternbach designed the ships in that book, and you'll note that his liner differs in some details (esp. the "bubble" look of the needle-hull). The SFC uses a different timescale than that later developed by the Okudas and others, and in that timeline the liner was built in the years following the Romulan War, so in adjusted dates it would be a late-22nd century/early 23rd design. Keeping those differences in mind, there's room for both versions to exist.
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2009, 09:15 PM   #20
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

A more commercial or merchant starship mass produced for various purposes, requisitioned for use during the war before a second line of Starfleet built variants both during the war and after?
Old February 11 2009, 09:28 PM   #21
EmperorKalan
Commander

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
A more commercial or merchant starship mass produced for various purposes, requisitioned for use during the war before a second line of Starfleet built variants both during the war and after?
In the SFC, the Declaration class liners were launched some 14 years after the end of the Romulan War. The ring ship seen as wall art on "Enterprise" obviously predates the show (and, by extension, the RomWar).

I was suggesting they were two completely different types of ships (probably of very different sizes) that bore a superficial resemlance to each other, not a single type adapted to various uses. (Although that possibility exists too.)
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2009, 09:31 PM   #22
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Fair enough, but I was thinking along the lines of the Liner having been around the 2120's to 2140's and larger, with more civilian based facilities. But the war/post war variant being about half the size, more refined and built around the 2160's to 2170's based on the Liner design due to having called up several retired ones for war time logistics use.
Old February 12 2009, 01:14 AM   #23
Stardate
Fleet Captain

I find this design very interesting design. A lot different then usual nacelles we are used too However i like Vulcan ships in Enterprise designed by Doug Drexler much better.. It is obvious Doug got his ideas from S.S. Enterprise UEV-47 but he improved upon them by making the hull larger.
Why haven't great 3D artiest on this site tried to make their version of 23th or 24th century Starfleet ring nacelles star ships smilier what Drexler did with his Vulcan ring nacelles ships.
Old February 12 2009, 02:15 AM   #24
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Scott Hayden wrote: View Post
Why haven't great 3D artiest on this site tried to make their version of 23th or 24th century Starfleet ring nacelles star ships smilier what Drexler did with his Vulcan ring nacelles ships.
That's a very good idea...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2009, 05:58 AM   #25
uniderth
Commander

I'll have to find my notes on the speed of the S.S. Enterprise. I did find a file I did on warps speed charts. I guess I spoke too soon earlier the S.S. Ent is capable of about the same speed as the NX-01. About warp 5.5 (TOS chart) or warp 16 (2140 chart).

I'll post some bits of my Earth - Romulan War story in another thread. The founding members of the Federation will consist of the Humans, Martians, Alpha Centaurians, Vulcans, Tellarites, Andorians, the little gold people from Journey to Babel. The main enemies will be the Romulans(obviously), Reman slaves, and the Romii. THere will probably be others eventually.

Anyway back to the ships. In my story each founding member donated parts to build the Daedalus class.

Spherical Hull - little gold people
Sphere Pylon - Humans
Warp Engines - Martians
Bridge - Alpha Centaurians
Navigational Deflector - Vulcans
Impulse Engines - Andorians
Engineering Hull -Tellarites
Old February 12 2009, 05:43 PM   #26
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Two questions not related to the UEV-47.

1) Do you mean they literally donated each part, and if so, did they do this for each Daedalus class ship?

2) How will you depict the Romii?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2009, 06:00 PM   #27
Sin87
Lieutenant

I don't think they donated as at the very beginning of Star Trek Legacy the fleet commander states that in the last two years (2157-59) Earth has come along way in space development (Because of the NX-01) & that by May of 2159 there's only been 5 Daedalus class' starships launched & at least three of them (USS Bach NCC-174, USS Pilgrim NCC-178 & USS Nightingale NCC-192) are medical ships.

Last edited by Sin87; February 12 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old February 12 2009, 07:06 PM   #28
uniderth
Commander

Praetor wrote: View Post
Two questions not related to the UEV-47.

1) Do you mean they literally donated each part, and if so, did they do this for each Daedalus class ship?
I'm planning for it to be sort of like the international space station. But looking at it realistically they would probably only do this for the first couple ships. Until all the construction facilities got tooled up for building the new class. I'm kind of using this to explain why the Daedalus design looks the way it does(aka sphere, stick, metal tank, warp engines).

2) How will you depict the Romii?
Currently Romii will be a dark "evil" world. Even the bravest Romulan generals will be afraid of it. But to be honest, I don't know why yet.

Sin87 wrote:
I don't think they donated as at the very beginning of Star Trek Legacy the fleet commander states that in the last two years (2157-59) Earth has come along way in space development (Because of the NX-01) & that by May of 2159 there's only been 5 Daedalus class' starships launched & at least three of them (USS Bach NCC-174, USS Pilgrim NCC-178 & USS Nightingale NCC-192) are medical ships.
I've never played Star Trek Legacy before. In fact just now is my first time looking it up. I'll have to check it out further. But as far as that goes the only "history" I consider authoritative is the Big Four(TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY) and movies 1-10. So any Earth-Romulan War history mentioned in those is what I make sure is in the story. Anything else, I feel, is free game.

Also in my story the Daedalus class will be launched during 2161 as the first starship built by the Federation. Earth would still be using "ringships" as primary vehicles. Martians who got their tech from Mr. Cochrane would still be using linear warp nacelles, as their warp technology was developed differently than Earths.

But anyway about Star Trek Legacy, looks like a cool game. I've never played Star Trek games much. I have a next Generation one that was pretty fun and a dream helped me get past one of the puzzles.
Old February 12 2009, 07:40 PM   #29
Sin87
Lieutenant

Well a few notes for you.
1 - Legacy was scripted so to cover many old references such as how the Borg & Vger are linked, how Picard got his command, the omega particle / directive, 2260's Federation / Klingon War & in TOS there is mention to Earth using nuclear weapons.
2 - Legacy is canon, though I wouldn't regard a few of the ships as canon when it's clear that they're just been added to the specific era's due to there been a lack of available unit class' to choose from.
3 - Until around 2200 the United Federation is known as the Confederation from what I can tell.
4 - Finally you might what to look up http://www.starfleet-museum.org/ as your ideas sound like they could fit into that timeline. Also look up the Comet class there as they were the testbeds for the Daedalus.
Old February 12 2009, 08:21 PM   #30
uniderth
Commander

Mhmm. I'll have to look at this game more. I have William Shatner's book "The Return" where it talks about the Borg/V'ger connection.

I wasn't aware that games were considered canon. But of course you have to remember you're talking to a guy who doesn't consider ENT or ST2009 canon. Not counting a game as canon for me isn't that much of a stretch.

I'm not aware of any references for this. If you could show me some that would be great.

Yep I have looked at that website up. It's pretty cool. Lots of good designs. There are some things there I disagree with but it's a very good collection of art. It's be cool if I could set up a site like that with some of my designs.