Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 11 2009, 09:05 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Arnold On Barrett-Roddenberry

J.J. Abram's Star Trek XI had Majel Barrett-Roddenberry's blessing according to Richard Arnold.

As reported by Sci Fi Pulse, speaking at the Fifteenth Annual SF Ball in England, Arnold spoke to the fans about Star Trek and the late Barrett-Roddenberry. According to Arnold, he spoke with Barrett-Roddenberry on the set of Star Trek XI and the topic of discussion had been Abrams and his style of directing and producing.

Both Arnold and Barrett-Roddenberry felt that the set of Star Trek XI was very much reminiscent of the collaborative spirit of a Gene Roddenberry set. There was plenty of good will on the set and it was infectious. Arnold related how Barrett-Roddenberry congratulated Abrams on that good feeling atmosphere and how Abrams modestly answered that he couldn't take sole responsibility for the good feeling.

Arnold first met Gene Roddenberry while attending the 1972 New York Star Trek convention. He assisted Roddenberry with various Star Trek duties, becoming a research consultant on Star Trek: The Next Generation and holding the title of Star Trek Archivist until Roddenberry's death in 1991.

To read more, head to the article located here. Additional information was obtained from Memory Alpha.

Old February 12 2009, 12:41 AM   #2
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Re: Arnold On Barrett-Roddenberry

Why should any of us care what Richard "the mouthbreater" Arnold has to say about Trek...the little parasite leeched onto Roddenberry and RUINED the tie ins for YEARS.
Old February 12 2009, 03:52 AM   #3
donners22
Commodore

I'd rather homogenous books under his reign of terror than some of the nonsense we get written under the current administration.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
Old February 12 2009, 07:16 PM   #4
USS Intrepid
Commodore

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Why should any of us care what Richard "the mouthbreater" Arnold has to say about Trek...the little parasite leeched onto Roddenberry and RUINED the tie ins for YEARS.
So are you actually attacking the guy due to personal experience, or just basing your comments on the words of others?
Old February 12 2009, 07:30 PM   #5
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
So are you actually attacking the guy due to personal experience, or just basing your comments on the words of others?
Both. I was an avid reader/collector of the tie in materials (tech manuals, comics, novels, rpgs, etc) back in those days. What Arnold didn't shut down entirely had so many restrictions put on them that the quality went to crap overnight. I was so off-put by the pablum that was produced under Arnold's Reign of Terror, that I am only NOW starting to tenatively put a toe back in the tie in pool (what's left of it, anyways).

And from what I've read and heard, I was far from alone in that reaction.
Old February 12 2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

And from what I've read and heard, I was far from alone in that reaction.
In other words, hearsay's good enough as long as you're in the majority. Got it.
Old February 12 2009, 09:21 PM   #7
ClayinCA
Commodore

It's not hearsay. It's documented fact, as reported by many of the writers and editors involved with Star Trek media tie-ins at the time.
Old February 12 2009, 09:57 PM   #8
USS Intrepid
Commodore

What's documented fact, is that Richard did his job and enforced certain limitations on those writers, much to their displeasure. The value of that role, and the motivations behind his actions are a matter of debate, but certainly not "documented fact".

While I completely understand why the writers in question would resent his interference, and I would probably have shared that resentment in their place, that does not mean he in any way deserves the vitriol that some people heap on him.

Richard's never struck me as the heel that some folks make him out to be, and it always irks me to see people mouthing off about a man they've never met, and really don't know anything about.
Old February 13 2009, 01:32 AM   #9
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

What's documented fact, is that Richard did his job and enforced certain limitations on those writers
Limitations which should never have existed in the first place.

We have dozens, indeed hundreds, of fine novels being written today, and I doubt any of them would have been allowed under the Arnold junta. Do you seriously believe he'd let the authors get away with writing epics like Destiny? The MU trade paperbacks? Myriad Universes? Or even the Terok Nor trilogy? Not the hack who forbade any novel to make reference to any other, or for any character other than the regulars to be in any way important to the plot (although he did let slip the character of Piper, who was basically a Mary Sue writ large).
Old February 13 2009, 01:53 AM   #10
Lashmore
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lashmore

If he was respected and liked by Roddenberry himself...I think that says it all.

None of you, in my opinion are on the level of kindess and humility Gene has, such which does not blind a man but opens his eyes to the quality of the person he decided to be friends with.

I think I'll side with the more convincing Roddenberry on this one, and ignore immature bitching.
Old February 13 2009, 06:17 PM   #11
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
What's documented fact, is that Richard did his job and enforced certain limitations on those writers
Limitations which should never have existed in the first place.

We have dozens, indeed hundreds, of fine novels being written today, and I doubt any of them would have been allowed under the Arnold junta. Do you seriously believe he'd let the authors get away with writing epics like Destiny? The MU trade paperbacks? Myriad Universes? Or even the Terok Nor trilogy? Not the hack who forbade any novel to make reference to any other, or for any character other than the regulars to be in any way important to the plot (although he did let slip the character of Piper, who was basically a Mary Sue writ large).
All of which is beside the point.

Making personal attacks against the man because he did his job, and did what he thought was right makes as much sense as all the attacks on B&B. It's one thing to disagree with his decisons, or the way he carried out the job he was supposed to be doing, but you don't really know him, and have no basis for making judgements about what sort of person he is.

Last edited by USS Intrepid; February 13 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old February 13 2009, 07:11 PM   #12
garamet
Writer

So Richard's still lurking behind the arras, eh?

- Isaac Asimov (Newsweek, 1980)

Old February 13 2009, 08:03 PM   #13
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

What's documented fact, is that Richard did his job and enforced certain limitations on those writers, much to their displeasure. The value of that role, and the motivations behind his actions are a matter of debate, but certainly not "documented fact".
"Just following orders" went out the window at Nuremburg...
Old February 13 2009, 08:10 PM   #14
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Lashmore wrote: View Post
If he was respected and liked by Roddenberry himself...I think that says it all.

None of you, in my opinion are on the level of kindess and humility Gene has, such which does not blind a man but opens his eyes to the quality of the person he decided to be friends with.

I think I'll side with the more convincing Roddenberry on this one, and ignore immature bitching.
OMG!!!!

After everything that's been documented about "Emperor Gene's New Clothes" you can type that with a straight face??!?!?
Old February 13 2009, 08:20 PM   #15
USS Intrepid
Commodore

"Just following orders" went out the window at Nuremburg...
Yeah, because disagreements over artistic direction are comparable to mass-murder.

Whatever. Enjoy your character-assasination.