IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 10 2009, 06:12 AM   #16
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Liking Enterprise over Voyager? GodBen, how could you?

I happen to share most of your criticisms.

I've always thought the 1st episode of Voyager was extremely weak and that most of the 1st season is fairly bad. In fact I feel that there are more boring/bad episodes scattered throughout Voyager than any of the other TNG time period series. There is something addictive about it though. Something keeps me coming back and makes me look past the bad bits. Maybe you'll feel the same way.

Actually I think it is the Doctor, I just love that guy!
Old February 10 2009, 06:24 AM   #17
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Parallax is one of my fav episodes.
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 07:23 AM   #18
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I've kind of had a soft spot for Time And Again for some reason. It's one of my favorites from the first season.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 07:28 AM   #19
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I've kind of had a soft spot for Time And Again for some reason. It's one of my favorites from the first season.
I liked that one as well, though I most definitely wanted to smack the sh*t out of that kid!!
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 07:52 AM   #20
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Me too! That episode is definitely one of my top 10 favorites.

As for the kid, I just love Tom's little prank with that comment "we ate him!"

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 12:20 PM   #21
jongredic
Fleet Captain

number6 wrote: View Post
I liked that one as well, though I most definitely wanted to smack the sh*t out of that kid!!
I'm kinda relieved I'm not the only one who was hoping for a bit of the old violence against alien children there

To be honest, I'm not overly keen on that episode. The main bulk of the story is good, but I've never been a fan of reset buttons of any sort

I do kinda like Parallax though, despite the technobabble. Tom's the voice of the viewers for that episode. A bit of representation at last!
Old February 10 2009, 02:33 PM   #22
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

There is a great moment in Time and Again where Janeway refuses to play along so one of the protesters pulls a gun on the kid, but then Tom jumped in the way of the bullet.

I must say that I liked that moment for Janeway as well as she refused to play along with the situation. She's a much stronger character than I remembered her, at least she is in these early episodes. Pity about that bun though.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 02:51 PM   #23
jongredic
Fleet Captain

The size of that bun is directly proportional to how "Janeway" she is. The bigger the bun, ohhh you can bet there's an irreplacable, limited edition photon torpedo coming your way.

By the time the bob rolls around, it's omnidirectional phaser sweeps and Federation piety for breakfast
Old February 10 2009, 05:41 PM   #24
Vampire Kirk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

kimc wrote: View Post
It seems a lot of people who give Voyager a second chance once they're older gain a better appreciation for it. Enjoy the journey and keep us posted.
Sounds like me. I never really liked it when it was on, but decided to pick up season four on a whim a while ago. Great stuff.
Vampire Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 06:15 PM   #25
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Phage (****)

This is an episode I was worried about because I knew it was going to focus on Neelix, but I found it quite enjoyable. The Doctor begins to develop a personality and there is a good odd-couple vibe going on between him and Neelix. The Doctor also manages to throw in some good one-liners.

Neelix still hasn’t managed to annoy me, surprisingly enough. I do wonder exactly how he managed to build his galley overnight without getting authorisation, but the idea that Voyager needs to adapt like this is a good one that seems to get dropped at some point.

I have always enjoyed the Vidiians since they are very sympathetic villains and certainly not your usual Trek aliens. How can we judge them for wanting to survive? Would we stoop to harvesting people’s organs if the same thing happened to us? I like Janeway’s speech at the end where she comes to realise that she cannot do anything to stop them because of the situation Voyager is in, this does help separate this show from TNG and DS9 where the Vidiians would doubtlessly be arrested and brought to trial.

A solid instalment.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 08:19 PM   #26
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Phage is one of my favs from season 1. Most definitely. Vidiians were such an amazing villain. The tradegy of them made them more than your awerage one dimensional bad guys of the quadrant.
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 09:56 PM   #27
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

I think Phage should have been aired first after Caretaker - it's a good story that emphasizes the differences between the Alpha and Delta Quadrants, since if they were an Alpha Quadrant Alien of the Week, they could just petition for medical assistance from the Federation and recieve it, while in the Delta Quadrant, the species has to resort to organ piracy. It would have been a good hook, better than a technobabble plot, heavy on the characters or not.

And I also love Tom's 'we ate him because we are demons and I'm still hungry' bit. Never fails to amuse me.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2009, 01:23 AM   #28
spoonunseptium
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to spoonunseptium

Heh, I watched the entire series from beginning to end last year when I was just 17, and loved it. All the people I know who like Voyager are teenagers.

So, I don't see an validity in the notion that you like it better when you grow up.

anyway. I appreciate Voyager for all of its allegories and philosohical words of wisdom and ethical dilemmas...though I quickly discovered that that is the entire underlying thread of Star Trek- exploring humanity and whatnot.

And, once I started watching other series like TNG or TOS, I had to get used to the fact that the Enterprise could contact Starfleet for backup at almost any time. After being Trek-trained(as I call it) on Voyager, it was weird to realize that the starships could take a couple of days to swing by earth.

I think Voyager is superior in that way; they can't just call up Starfleet, they're all alone and must achieve their goal without anyone's help. Plus, the entire run of the show was about getting home, so it was all very driven.

For that reason, I find the other series to be a wee bit less inspiring.

Although, Emissary is, out of all five series, the best pilot episode.
Old February 11 2009, 01:29 AM   #29
leola
Lieutenant

What a great time to find this thread! I missed most of ST:V first time around due to living a crazy life, but was a huge TNG fan and desperately tried to catch what I could, plus jaded reports from hubby. Needless to say, epic fail. I rediscovered it 3 yrs ago while recuperating from accidentally slicing wrist tendons and being told to sit and do absolutely nothing... yeah right. Spike was airing 5 hrs of ST/day and I tuned in to TNG and then Caretaker was on right after. It was love. I became a huge Janeway fan, and soaked up all I could. Not all epis were phenomenal, but fan-fic repairs all!

Fast forward to now, and I'm recovering from repairing those same tendon repairs, and rewatching V on DVD as I'm sitting, doing absolutely nothing (and typing left-handed). I'm enjoying this board, and these commentaries, and hope to contribute.

Welcome, other 'new' old fans.
leola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2009, 06:01 AM   #30
freak
Commodore

You know I happen to agree..it's nice to see that Voyager haters of the past come back like years later and watch the series again and then start to get hooked on it. I was basically the same way. Years 1-4 really stuck out for me..but when Year 5 came around, it started to dull a bit for some reason(even though I still loved the series as a whole). Year 7 was the worst for me..I guess because I was realizing that it was gonna be over soon and it really got to me. Especially when Neelix left! At first I thought: oh this is a joke..he'll come back later on. But when he REALLY left, it made me realize that uh-oh, this series is fixing to go bye-bye. And it killed me when it ended!!!! Then I said: wait, THAT'S the END?!?! What are you kidding me?!?! Suffice to say, it didn't end like I wanted it too. But that's what fanfic is for.
freak is offline   Reply With Quote