Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 22 2009, 12:19 AM   #136
Shaw
Commodore

Re: If You Could Re-Imagine the Constitution-Class Refit...

Well, here is my early estimates from last year...

I figure if you are in an outer ring cabin, you are an enlisted crew member and have to share your cabin with at least on other person.

Note that the back two quadrants of ring 1 extend out so that there are no rear quadrants of ring 2 on deck 5. That area is reserved for rooms that might require more than your average floor plan size, and I have avoided putting any crew cabins in those areas. Ring 0 is generally reserved for core service locations (including places like sickbay on deck 5 and the main energizers on deck 7).
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 05:10 PM   #137
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

The lower part of the saucer rim is what deck? Deck 6 or 7 right?
CuttingEdge100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 12:44 AM   #138
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Never mind, I checked a few posts back. Deck 5 and 6 are the rim from what I checked
CuttingEdge100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 02:01 AM   #139
miraclefan
Commodore

Johnnymuffintop wrote: View Post
Here's something I've been working on.
The one on the bottom looks like the best one! But if I could just make a suggestion if I my? Bring the nacelle a little closer to the saucer section and I think you have a winner there.
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 07:01 PM   #140
Irishman
Fleet Captain

CuttingEdge100 wrote: View Post
I'm wondering if it's only me or does it looks like JJ Abrams, when he Re-Imagined the Enterprise somehow took every single bad characteristic of the TOS and TMP Enterprises then accentuated them as much as he could physically, then warped, bent, and distorted various design characteristics into curvier shapes only for the sake of being curvier under the impression that if it's curvier it automatically is better?

It's just you.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 07:56 PM   #141
Sin87
Lieutenant

CuttingEdge100 wrote: View Post
I'm wondering if it's only me or does it looks like JJ Abrams, when he Re-Imagined the Enterprise somehow took every single bad characteristic of the TOS and TMP Enterprises then accentuated them as much as he could physically, then warped, bent, and distorted various design characteristics into curvier shapes only for the sake of being curvier under the impression that if it's curvier it automatically is better?
I find it bad how everyone lays into JJ for the design of the new Enterprise dispite the fact he didn't design it.
Sin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 08:22 PM   #142
Captain X
Rear Admiral

And guess who set the direction and signed off on it, being the producer and all...
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 01:36 AM   #143
Sin87
Lieutenant

JJ may have signed off, but he still didn't design her. I remember a bonus part on Star Wars Ep III DVD where George Lucas stamped the concepts of which he felt would work best for General Grievous. I believe JJ would have done the same processes with all the new Enterprise concepts & until someone shows JJ actually designing her himself then I think we should all stop blaming him for how she looks.

Look at the bigger picture & stop trying to wish the 2009 design style was the 1966 Tos or 1979 TMP Connie as design styles change, like with music groups such as The Madness are still enjoyed, but would we really like to hear the same style which is quite bad when compared to today's artists.
Old February 10 2009, 02:52 AM   #144
Captain X
Rear Admiral

Sin87 wrote: View Post
JJ may have signed off, but he still didn't design her. I remember a bonus part on Star Wars Ep III DVD where George Lucas stamped the concepts of which he felt would work best for General Grievous. I believe JJ would have done the same processes with all the new Enterprise concepts & until someone shows JJ actually designing her himself then I think we should all stop blaming him for how she looks.
Uh, no, he's still responsible for how the ship looks, because he set the direction and approved the final design. He might not have drawn her up himself, but he told the person who did what he was looking for and approved what was drawn up - he is responsible for how the ship was designed.

Look at the bigger picture & stop trying to wish the 2009 design style was the 1966 Tos or 1979 TMP Connie as design styles change, like with music groups such as The Madness are still enjoyed, but would we really like to hear the same style which is quite bad when compared to today's artists.
No one even brought that up, but once again I love how there's no in between with some people - it either has to completely redone or exactly as it was in the '60s.
Old February 10 2009, 03:32 AM   #145
Sin87
Lieutenant

I love the past, present & all the other Connie designs that fellow fans have done, but I strongly believe that things need to have a total overall as every now & again as things must be reinvented or they must & will meet a slow death. I do think it should have been more like the 60's version, but when compared to any other recent sci-fi show or movie would look way to old.

As for the person who designed the new Enterprise was Ryan Church who also designed the Arc-170, Venator-Class Star Destroyer & most the concept art work for Star Wars Ep II & III. Also he may have done the Tripods from the new "War of the Worlds".
Old February 10 2009, 05:02 AM   #146
Captain X
Rear Admiral

Sin87 wrote: View Post
I love the past, present & all the other Connie designs that fellow fans have done, but I strongly believe that things need to have a total overall as every now & again as things must be reinvented or they must & will meet a slow death.
No, they just need writers and producers to avoid falling into formulaic and cliched plotlines, and to remain creative. And this reboot is frankly just dime a dozen, what with all the recent remakes coming out recently and in the near future.
I do think it should have been more like the 60's version, but when compared to any other recent sci-fi show or movie would look way to old.
That's why you use this modern CGI capability we have now to modernize the existing design and make it more realistic, not redesign it based off of '50s vintage cars and change a good chunk of the show on a whim. But this is the argument for another thread.

As for the person who designed the new Enterprise was Ryan Church who also designed the Arc-170, Venator-Class Star Destroyer & most the concept art work for Star Wars Ep II & III. Also he may have done the Tripods from the new "War of the Worlds".
Again, JJ Abrams is the man in charge, he gave Ryan Church the direction to go in, and approved the final design, making JJ Abrams ultimately responsible for the design. No one has said Abrams designed it himself, most of us know who put the actual pen to paper, but artists don't just draw up whatever the hell the feel like, they get directions from the producer(s).
Old February 10 2009, 01:41 PM   #147
Sin87
Lieutenant

artists don't just draw up whatever the hell the feel like.
I do !
Old February 10 2009, 03:29 PM   #148
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Captain X wrote: View Post
Again, JJ Abrams is the man in charge, he gave Ryan Church the direction to go in, and approved the final design, making JJ Abrams ultimately responsible for the design. No one has said Abrams designed it himself, most of us know who put the actual pen to paper, but artists don't just draw up whatever the hell the feel like, they get directions from the producer(s).
True, and the same is true for the original Enterprise, but we still call that one Jeffries' Enterprise, not Roddenberry's.
Old February 10 2009, 03:42 PM   #149
Sin87
Lieutenant

Exactly the point I've been trying to make.
Old February 10 2009, 03:50 PM   #150
Captain X
Rear Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
True, and the same is true for the original Enterprise, but we still call that one Jeffries' Enterprise, not Roddenberry's.
Depends on who you talk to. I personally call it the TOS Enterprise.