Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 9 2009, 11:34 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Braga On 'Star Trek: Enterprise'

Looking back, Star Trek: Enterprise's Brannon Braga realizes that the ending of the four-year series was less than satisfying.

As reported by iFMagazine, Star Trek: Enterprise's ending did not meet expectations for Braga. "I think that final, final episode, I may be understating it when I’m saying it didn't turn out as well as I hoped," he said. "I think the intentions behind it sent a valentine to all the 'Star Trek' shows and a very genuine heartfelt one, because we knew 'Star Trek' would be off television for a long, long time, but it was kind of a lackluster story."

If Braga had to do the ending over again, he wouldn't know exactly what to do. "I don't know [what I would have done,] because at the time I thought it was very cool, it was only when it came out, I realized, 'this isn't quite working.' That happens. I don't know what I would have done honestly. I think I might have just ended 'Enterprise.'

And what if Enterprise had returned for another season? "I had moved on to another series ['Threshold,'] so I would have left 'Enterprise.' I love 'Star Trek.' It's the kind of show that's such an open field conceptually, that I could have done it forever. At the same time, after fifteen years, I had to move on and let other people do it."

Braga confesses to being emotionally attached to Star Trek and part of him is sad to see someone else in charge. "My analogy with 'Star Trek' is I divorced my wife, I love her dearly, she's with a great guy, and I'm so happy for her," he explained. "At the same time, in the back of mind, someone else is with my wife. That's how I feel. I can't help but feel emotionally attached to 'Star Trek.' But predominantly my feeling is it's in great hands with J.J. Abrams and I can't wait to see the movie."

To read more, including Braga's current projects, head to the article located here.

Old February 10 2009, 04:26 AM   #2
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Re: Braga On 'Star Trek: Enterprise'

TrekToday wrote: View Post
we knew 'Star Trek' would be off television for a long, long time
Yeah, partly because you and your sorry associates killed it.

Fucktard.

"I don't know [what I would have done,] because at the time I thought it was very cool
And this was a big part of the problem.

They didn't actually know what was good ST anymore, so we got VOY, ENT, INS and NEM.

I could have done it forever
Thank god you weren't allowed to. If the abovementioned abortions are anything to go by, your time was WAY up.

part of him is sad to see someone else in charge. "My analogy with 'Star Trek' is I divorced my wife, I love her dearly, she's with a great guy, and I'm so happy for her," he explained. "At the same time, in the back of mind, someone else is with my wife. That's how I feel. I can't help but feel emotionally attached to 'Star Trek.'
So ST is your wife, who is a guy, that you felt compelled to divorce, but you still love but now somebody else is fucking your wife who is a guy and a tv show.

For fuck's sake......if that's how you, as a writer present clear analogies, it's no wonder ST-post DS9 turned out as the shit it was and "Threshold" was cancelled.

Go get a trade or do something useful, like volunteer with old folks.
Old February 10 2009, 05:08 AM   #3
donners22
Commodore

I enjoyed Enterprise very much, and was quite infuriated by the final episode. I cannot understand how it takes this long to realise it was "kind of lackluster".

You killed off the most popular character and brought him back for a meaningless chat with Riker a few minutes later, FFS!
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
Old February 10 2009, 05:19 AM   #4
Captain59
Fleet Captain

donners22 wrote: View Post
You killed off the most popular character and brought him back for a meaningless chat with Riker a few minutes later, FFS!
You got that right.

R.I.P. Kellie Waymire
Old February 10 2009, 07:59 AM   #5
Ghel
Commander

I think we're being a bit harsh here people.

Although there is vehement disdain for Enterprise in some quarters, I for one, enjoyed it. If there was a weakness to Enterprise it was that it didn't distinguish itself from the earlier series' in enough meaningful ways. At the same time, I challenge anyone to write for a television show every week (not including films etc.) for over fifteen years and not become a bit stagnant. For all the griping about the writers of Trek, very few of us will ever be good enough to even get hired for a show, much less sustain it for more than a decade.

As far as the finale, I do understand what Braga is saying. Conceptually, a television show spanning TNG through ENT is an awesome idea (much like the potential for Generations). It is merely unfortunate that the idea didn't translate onto the television screen.

Braga (and Berman) provided many great hours and years of Star Trek. Meybe it's time we started being thankful for the hundreds of hours of entertainment with which we have been provided rather than vilifying those who did their best to bring it to us. Of course, I guess JJ Abrams will soon be joining the ranks of the hated for adding another film to our viewing lives . . .
Old February 10 2009, 08:05 AM   #6
jumanji
Ensign

Ghel wrote: View Post
I think we're being a bit harsh here people.
I don't.. he's a tosser and Moore should be the one calling the shots.
Old February 10 2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I really do blame Berman & Braga for the poor storytelling qualities of VOY, ENT, and the last two movies. But for the past couple years Braga's been owning up to his part, which I appreciate.

I've been watching 24 this season, and I really like it. Braga's doing quite well for himself there. Perhaps all he needed was a break from constant Trek to become good again.
Old February 10 2009, 08:21 AM   #8
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Braga confesses to being emotionally attached to Star Trek and part of him is sad to see someone else in charge. "My analogy with 'Star Trek' is I divorced my wife, I love her dearly, she's with a great guy, and I'm so happy for her," he explained. "At the same time, in the back of mind, someone else is with my wife. That's how I feel. I can't help but feel emotionally attached to 'Star Trek.' But predominantly my feeling is it's in great hands with J.J. Abrams and I can't wait to see the movie."
I've certainly felt that way so far as my previous employment has gone. Good analogy.

Attacking Braga on a personal level and accusing him of purposefully kneecapping the franchise is childish.
Old February 10 2009, 10:29 AM   #9
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

StarMan wrote: View Post
Attacking Braga on a personal level and accusing him of purposefully kneecapping the franchise is childish.
It has passed well beyond childish years ago.
Old February 10 2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Obi Wana Jones
Lieutenant

Well Mr. Braga, when you treat your wife like a cheap 'Ho, she's better off with another.

Let's hope she doesn't have the battered wife syndrome, trapped by another loser.

The Ent ending could've have been so much better by just having the primary story. If he wanted to toss in a TNG connection, it could have been at the very end, revealing Riker and Troi watching the events on the holodeck. Pure and simple, with no dialogue at all.
Old February 10 2009, 04:27 PM   #11
Obi Wana Jones
Lieutenant

That said, B&B gave us countless hours of good Trek. They showed thier burnout with the absolute shitty Insurrection, followed by a hit and miss Ent. , turning it into ST:90210 (OK, maybe not THAT

Ent got so much better the last 2 seasons (especially the last).
Old February 10 2009, 06:07 PM   #12
GodzFire
Ensign

Captain59 wrote: View Post
donners22 wrote: View Post
You got that right.
Ditto. I'm glad that the Series Finale for Enterprise, Terra Prime, was at least respectful and a proper sendoff.
Old February 10 2009, 06:20 PM   #13
EyalM
Captain

TATV could have been nice as a session ender (without killing Trip...). But making the cast secondary characters in their own finale is unforgivable
Old February 10 2009, 07:22 PM   #14
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

"I think the intentions behind it sent a valentine to all the 'Star Trek' shows and a very genuine heartfelt one, because we knew 'Star Trek' would be off television for a long, long time, but it was kind of a lackluster story."
Well, there's that V-word again...
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Old February 10 2009, 07:23 PM   #15
Mott the barber
Commodore

Good riddance to him.

That being said, he is highly involved with this season of 24 and it's been great so far.