Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 7 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Stargazer question

I got to thinking of this when I read the "Picard's rank?" thread, in the TNG forum.

AFAIK, the Stargazer series states that Picard - a Lt. Cmdr. at the time - was made the Captain of the ship when its original CO (Daithan Ruhalter) was killed, and the original XO (Stephen Leach) wounded and comatose. Can this really be true, though? An early TNG episode - might have been the pilot, I can't remember - mentioned that Picard was once an XO. (Something about Riker's refusal to let Picard beam down to a planet. Riker says that because Picard was once an XO himself, he'd understand the reasoning behind it.)

So even after the Stargazer's two most senior officers were out of action, Picard couldn't have immediately become Captain, because we'd already been told he spent some time as an XO first. Do the novels explain this?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Stargazer question

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
I got to thinking of this when I read the "Picard's rank?" thread, in the TNG forum.

AFAIK, the Stargazer series states that Picard - a Lt. Cmdr. at the time - was made the Captain of the ship when its original CO (Daithan Ruhalter) was killed, and the original XO (Stephen Leach) wounded and comatose. Can this really be true, though? An early TNG episode - might have been the pilot, I can't remember - mentioned that Picard was once an XO. (Something about Riker's refusal to let Picard beam down to a planet. Riker says that because Picard was once an XO himself, he'd understand the reasoning behind it.)

So even after the Stargazer's two most senior officers were out of action, Picard couldn't have immediately become Captain, because we'd already been told he spent some time as an XO first. Do the novels explain this?
I do not remember any reference to Picard being referred to as an XO by Riker at all. Looking at Memory Alpha which uses primarily filmed Trek as its source (thus the dreaded Canon word), it doesn't refer to him ever being an XO.

Mike
Mike Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

^No, Babaganoosh is right. There's a scene in "Encounter at Farpoint" where Picard and Riker discuss the right of a captain to participate in away missions, and Riker says "Having been a first officer yourself, you know that assuming that responsibility must by definition include the safety of the captain."
Old February 7 2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander

I guess it is one of the many cases where the show reversed itself, or perhaps Riker was mistaken, assuming Picard had been a First Officer since he was now a Captain. It would be understandable for one to assume a Captain had once been an XO.
Mike Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Mike Winters wrote: View Post
I guess it is one of the many cases where the show reversed itself, or perhaps Riker was mistaken, assuming Picard had been a First Officer since he was now a Captain. It would be understandable for one to assume a Captain had once been an XO.
I would think that if Riker had gotten it wrong, Picard would have corrected him.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old February 7 2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

And there isn't any evidence that the show reversed itself. What little Stargazer/Picard backstory is actually given onscreen doesn't prevent his having served as a first officer; it's the elaborated version in the novels that rules it out.
Old February 7 2009, 07:19 PM   #7
elaithin
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to elaithin

Doesn't the show also refer to his having become a Captain very young?
Old February 7 2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

^In "Conspiracy" Picard says that Tryla Scott made captain faster than anyone else, "present company included," which suggests that he made captain fairly young, but still doesn't rule out brief first officer service.
Old February 7 2009, 08:23 PM   #9
Jean-Luc Picard
Lieutenant

Picard was the ship's second officer before becoming captain. He pretty much did the job of an XO.
Old February 7 2009, 09:42 PM   #10
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Wouldn't the first officer, technically speaking, become captain upon the CO's death, regardless of his capacity to carry out that duty? And thus, wouldn't Picard have technically been the ship's second in command, acting in Leach's stead while he was out of commission?
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2009, 09:56 PM   #11
elaithin
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to elaithin

Mmmn... tenuous, but it could work.
Old February 7 2009, 10:13 PM   #12
captcalhoun
Admiral

not tenuos or 'technically' true. from what we've previously seen in Trek, it's true.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2009, 06:23 AM   #13
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Wouldn't the first officer, technically speaking, become captain upon the CO's death, regardless of his capacity to carry out that duty? And thus, wouldn't Picard have technically been the ship's second in command, acting in Leach's stead while he was out of commission?
Could be. I don't remember whether Ruhalter's death or Leach's coma came first. If it was both at the same time, then the above couldn't happen, because Picard (as the next senior officer) would go straight to being CO.

Jean-Luc Picard wrote: View Post
Picard was the ship's second officer
I thought that was Jack Crusher. But I suppose Picard could have become that, after Jack's death.
Old February 8 2009, 06:52 AM   #14
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

^ Crusher only joined the crew much later into timeline, by which point Picard had already been captain for quite a while.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old February 8 2009, 06:58 AM   #15
shanejayell
Captain

Could Picard have been a XO on a ship BEFORE Stargazer?
shanejayell is offline   Reply With Quote