MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old February 7 2009, 05:56 PM   #31
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: BSG ratings rock!

^Easy: Subtitles! Most of the times, actors are mumbling their words (Baltar for instance) and honesty. Even though dling ist verboten here it's less frown upon if you have a legal copy.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old February 7 2009, 06:00 PM   #32
Magic_Al
Captain

The newest episode is the #8 show on iTunes this morning. That's $3 they don't get from a BitTorrent pirate.

EDIT: Now it's #1 on iTunes. Not only does this ranking show how completely different online viewership is from offline, but BSG is also the top download of online viewers who are willing to pay.

Last edited by Magic_Al; February 8 2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Update
Old February 7 2009, 06:03 PM   #33
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

It's also the only show that sci-fi has that is at all well regarded.
Old February 7 2009, 10:19 PM   #34
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post

Uh...why?
Because not everybody lives in the States...
Yeah, but if you already have it why buy it?
Some people like to reward shows that they love as a way of getting studios to produce more shows of that nature. Plus, the picture quality on DVDs is much better than a typical torrent... or so I'm told.
Old February 8 2009, 08:52 AM   #35
Iasius
Rear Admiral

GodBen wrote: View Post
Plus, the picture quality on DVDs is much better than a typical torrent... or so I'm told.
No, it's not ...

... says one owner of all BSG DVD sets released in R2 so far.
Old February 8 2009, 09:40 PM   #36
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I didn't watch many season 3 episodes, so I think a like me, a lot of the show's detractors basically deserted it. What's left is a lot apologists for the direction the show took. I vowed to give the final season (half season) a go though, and its still worth a look, even if only for the occasional bright spot and to see some loose ends tied up. I doubt the ratings will really recover though.

RAMA
Old February 8 2009, 10:08 PM   #37
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Given that, and the generally abysmal SciFi ratings, getting anything near last season's numbers is a win.

Yes, the way TV is going, just holding decently steady is respectable. It's not really the bad economy that's driving ratings down across the board - this has been a problem for a while now.
Also, we have no idea what BSG (or Caprica) costs to make. Without that number, we can't interpret what ratings actually mean for the ongoing survival of the show or future shows.
Seeing that a show is often downloaded off the internet or is DVRed typically makes marketers look at other time periods and ignore that as a possible choice for ad buys.
They still have the "real" numbers (the Nielsons - sorry folks, those are the only real numbers) to look at. I doubt marketers gvie a shit about bitorrent numbers either for good or ill. It's just an indicator that a show is popular, and means nothing in business terms. And DVR numbers are worth something, because some DVR users watch ads, strange but true. Also, for shows that are based in the real life modern world, DVR numbers can be worth something for product placement value.

ratings were never relevant to BSG's fate. The whole ratings obsession is just weird
They can't be horrible, or the show will get cancelled. As long as they are reasonable, they don't need to rock the house. The show stays alive, Caprica has a shot and we can watch something decent on Skiffy and not idiotic monster movies and comical "reality" shows about ghosts.
Some people like to reward shows that they love as a way of getting studios to produce more shows of that nature.
I wouldn't put much hope on that as a significant factor. The way BSG has stayed alive and Caprica will hopefully stay alive is by going well enough among US-based Nielson households to pay the bills - which means the other part of the equation, keeping costs down, is just as important as those Nielsons.
Old February 8 2009, 10:13 PM   #38
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Didn't both Time and Rolling Stone call it the best show on tv (and this back when The Sopranos and The Wire were still in production)? Or was that Scare Tactics?
Old February 9 2009, 03:03 AM   #39
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
(although all you pirates should be ashamed! of yourselves!)
Some pirates buys the DVDs when they come out... not that I have personal experience with that or anything.
I do. I own all of the DVD sets, yet I pirated most of season 3 (watch it on a DVR now). I don't see why that's supposed to be so odd... I enjoy the show a great deal and as such, I use my wallet to give them my support. DVD sales actually mean something to those in charge of shows, after all.
Old February 9 2009, 03:34 AM   #40
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Didn't both Time and Rolling Stone call it the best show on tv (and this back when The Sopranos and The Wire were still in production)? Or was that Scare Tactics?
They did indeed.
Old February 9 2009, 05:47 AM   #41
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
They did indeed.
That's a lot of cachet for a network whose tv movies are frequently fodder for The Soup.
Old February 9 2009, 05:29 PM   #42
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Iasius wrote: View Post
Plus, the picture quality on DVDs is much better than a typical torrent... or so I'm told.
No, it's not ...
The DVDs don't have skiffy taking over 1/3 of the screen to tell you Stargate is coming up next. No skiffy, it's not.