Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old February 6 2009, 05:33 AM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: BSG ratings rock!

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Sweet!

That said, I'm happy with its fate. It's ending at just the right time.
I agree. This show wouldn't be so great right now if it weren't hurtling towards its conclusion.
Yeah, I know viewing habits are different...but 2 million?
It's very decent by cable standards. Wonderful shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Dexter draw fewer viewers. All I care about is that they get the audience that lets them pay the bills.

With due respect, I don't think they, as in the studio and network, are really happy about being high on the BitTorrented lists.
All the good genre shows get bittorented, it's just par for the course. As long as they can remain a functioning business regardless, I'm fine with the cable-level numbers and the piracy. (although all you pirates should be ashamed! of yourselves!)
The Sci Fi spin is to make things sound rosey but it's hard for me to think everything's all that great when they once hit a near 3 million mark.

Keeeeee-rap...look at the nose dive that Heroes, Lost and Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles have taken over their lifespans! It's tough out there. 3M to 2M is doing fine!
Old February 6 2009, 03:27 PM   #17
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
(although all you pirates should be ashamed! of yourselves!)
Some pirates buys the DVDs when they come out... not that I have personal experience with that or anything.
Old February 6 2009, 04:37 PM   #18
lorelai2112
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Keeeeee-rap...look at the nose dive that Heroes, Lost and Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles have taken over their lifespans! It's tough out there. 3M to 2M is doing fine!
Uh? Getting 2 million viewers might be "ok in the rough economy" (I don't agree with that, but we'll go with it) but they are spinning their numbers saying they just had the best January ever after loosing a million viewers. That's a million less than they had before. Therefore, Jan 2005 was a better Jan than this one. That's just simple math is all I'm saying.
Old February 6 2009, 04:49 PM   #19
The Stig
Rear Admiral

lorelai2112 wrote: View Post
Uh? Getting 2 million viewers might be "ok in the rough economy" (I don't agree with that, but we'll go with it) but they are spinning their numbers saying they just had the best January ever after loosing a million viewers. That's a million less than they had before. Therefore, Jan 2005 was a better Jan than this one. That's just simple math is all I'm saying.
Your point would be improved if you knew how to spell losing.

Just a tip.

As for the ratings, Battlestar is dark, depressing and so deeply burrowed within its own mythos that it would be a miracle for a new viewer to tune in and stick with it. Given that, and the generally abysmal SciFi ratings, getting anything near last season's numbers is a win.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old February 6 2009, 09:58 PM   #20
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

lorelai2112 wrote: View Post
Uh? Getting 2 million viewers might be "ok in the rough economy" (I don't agree with that, but we'll go with it) but they are spinning their numbers saying they just had the best January ever after loosing a million viewers.
Would Scifi be hppy if the retings were better? Sure.

But this is the highest rated episode the show's had in 3 and a half years. I highly doubt they're upset over it.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Old February 6 2009, 10:04 PM   #21
nx1701g
Admiral

IndyJones wrote: View Post
but Battlestar is one of the most DVR'd and BitTorrented shows currently on TV.
And neither of those pay the bills (i.e. advertisers HATE both of them). Seeing that a show is often downloaded off the internet or is DVRed typically makes marketers look at other time periods and ignore that as a possible choice for ad buys.
Old February 6 2009, 11:03 PM   #22
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Have you ever heard of people who BitTorrent shows and buy the actual product afterwards?
Shocking! I'm telling you! Shocking!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old February 7 2009, 03:09 AM   #23
mswood
Rear Admiral

Actually we can't even really compare it to other BSG performances as it uses Live Plus 7 day results. With the DVR market up to over 22% saturation this year. # years ago when BSG season 2 aired (God I think, stupid delaying ass scifi) that percentage was less then 5%.

THe closest thing you can compare on the network front is the CW network. And their shows audience can be anywhere between 25-40% DVR.

And no 2 million with DVR results isn't good for basic cable. That's not even in the top 20.

Kyle XY is getting cancelled for having live same day results of 1.5 plus million.

Of course some cable outlets have piss poor ratings. Thats why shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men are considered successful (they far outscore other shows on the same cable station).

To truly judge nBSG we would need to see how all of scifi does (including DVR results).

But we do know that reruns of other tv shows and films have nearly tied its live ratings.

Of course, it wont effect the outcome of the show. But those results are what is causing the show to end during its 4th season (and that does piss me off) as I think that quality wise the show could have gone on easily another full season (if not more).
Old February 7 2009, 05:10 AM   #24
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Heck, almost the same amount of people watch GENERAL HOSPITAL every day....and compared to TNG, and even Deep Space Nine's ratings (both sydicated) BSG isn't even in the same ball park...
One wonders, of course, what kind of ratings a "Star Trek" series would be managing to pull on basic cable now...

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Have you ever heard of people who BitTorrent shows and buy the actual product afterwards?
Uh...why?
Old February 7 2009, 05:22 AM   #25
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Shocking! I'm telling you! Shocking!

If they're worth rewatching, I buy the shows and movies I like on DVD regardless of how I originally saw them.

Haven't bought any BSG yet, but not because I've occasionally downloaded an episode I missed; merely because it doesn't seem like that rewatchable a series.
Old February 7 2009, 05:38 AM   #26
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Easier to burn DVDs. So I hear.
Old February 7 2009, 07:53 AM   #27
Devnull
Captain

ratings were never relevant to BSG's fate. The whole ratings obsession is just weird
Old February 7 2009, 09:59 AM   #28
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Uh...why?
Because not everybody lives in the States...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old February 7 2009, 02:28 PM   #29
stj
Rear Admiral

The ratings are interesting as pointers to political sentiments in the population. It's like tracking the number of Fox viewers versus CBS viewers.
Old February 7 2009, 05:47 PM   #30
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Uh...why?
Because not everybody lives in the States...
Yeah, but if you already have it why buy it?