TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 6 2009, 05:30 AM   #31
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Re: So, Pulse weapons.

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
Klingon Empire wrote: View Post
As long as Star Trek never becomes Star Wars, I'll be happy.
And what does that even mean? What would make Trek "go Star Wars"?

Besides, we need to thank the success of SW for TMP and everything afterward.
Yup. Trek owes a lot to Star Wars.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 05:43 AM   #32
JuanBolio
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post

...and vice versa.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 06:38 AM   #33
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

I don't want to see SW like weapons in ST... I don't need to hear Federation ships fire weapons that sound like elves farting.

I don't think ANY sci-fi show or film ever portrayed energy weapons (handheld) correctly... I mean, phasers, blasters, or what have you emit beams that are basically going the speed of light... NOBODY (save maybe, and that's a big maybe, Data) should be able to dodge an energy weapon discharge.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 07:00 AM   #34
trevanian
Rear Admiral

How do you figure? Trek had a script and a fantastic tech crew ready to go on a feature film just before SW came out. When SW hit, Paramount cancelled the trek movie and tried to do the tv revival thing for a few months. If not for SW, Trek would have been the one to cash in on the huge sf/trek interest of the mid 70s, instead of SW stealing Trek's thunder.

If GL had agreed to hold SW back till xmas 77, things might be very different today. Trek could have already been filming, or at the very least so far along it couldn't be easily cancelled. Plus SW wouldn't have done as well at xmas.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 07:04 AM   #35
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post

...and vice versa.
Well, naturally.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 10:22 AM   #36
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post

How do you figure? Trek had a script and a fantastic tech crew ready to go on a feature film just before SW came out. When SW hit, Paramount cancelled the trek movie and tried to do the tv revival thing for a few months. If not for SW, Trek would have been the one to cash in on the huge sf/trek interest of the mid 70s, instead of SW stealing Trek's thunder.

If GL had agreed to hold SW back till xmas 77, things might be very different today. Trek could have already been filming, or at the very least so far along it couldn't be easily cancelled. Plus SW wouldn't have done as well at xmas.
IIRC, plans for a Star Trek show came first, not a feature film. When SW came out and became a smash, the pilot's script was turned into TMP. Had Trek gone down the route of TV show instead of film, there's a decent chance that it would have failed, like Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers at the time.

Besides, prior to that, there wasn't much demand for sci-fi movies anyway. 2001 was more of a critical favorite than a financial smash.
Old February 6 2009, 10:24 AM   #37
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Shape-Shifter wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
I'm sure the phasers have different modes of operation. The Kelvin seems to have seperate emitters for pulsed and beam weapons. Its logical to assume that the Enterprise, being a next-generation ship, has phaser emitters with both these capabilities. It seems as though the phasers were being used as point-defense weapons in that shot, tearing into the fighters/missiles/drones from the Narada. It is entirely possibly that the Enterprise can and would switch over to beam mode when taking on a larger ship.

Wait and see.
Agreed.

Whose to say they don't have capability to choose beam or pulse fire? Just because we're only seeing one sort here doesn't mean the other isn't present.

Montgomery Scott, ST 5 TFF: "How many time do I have to tell you? The right tool for the right job!
Yeah, it would seem odd to me not to have that ability either, esp. since we saw that already in TOS. I seem to recall Defiant being able to do it but I can't remember when.

As for pulse fire vs. beam fire, I've always thought that pulses were stronger but short range, whereas beams could be more accurate with farther range.
Old February 6 2009, 12:59 PM   #38
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Cyke101 wrote: View Post

IIRC, plans for a Star Trek show came first, not a feature film. When SW came out and became a smash, the pilot's script was turned into TMP. Had Trek gone down the route of TV show instead of film, there's a decent chance that it would have failed, like Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers at the time.

Besides, prior to that, there wasn't much demand for sci-fi movies anyway. 2001 was more of a critical favorite than a financial smash.
There were plans for a film prior to Star Wars. The cast talked about it on 'Tomorrow' with Tom Snyder in 1976 (youtube link).
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 03:11 PM   #39
trevanian
Rear Admiral

You are incorrect. PLANET OF THE TITANS had Phil Kaufmann as director, Jordan Belson for optical effects, Ken Adam & Derek MEddings (both of Bond fame) for production design and miniatures, and was basically a 'go' project even before having a full script. It was cancelled within a month of SW coming out, and phase 2 arose out of those ashes for a short time.

As for the demand for TREK SF ... you had to be there. the mid 70s had an insane demand for trek (30,000 at a chicago con) and any action adventure film (even of mediocre quality) that came out ahead of SW would have cleaned up like you wouldn't believe.
Old February 6 2009, 03:14 PM   #40
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It's more like Star Wars so it's naturally better.

It would certainly make more sense for the handheld phasers since they were always trained on a single spot anyway. I always thought it would be cool to see the beams used to their full potential sweeping after their targets.
That's one effect I thought Babylon 5 always got right. Their energy beams looked ANGRY, they slashed and burned through ships like a welding torch. Star Trek phasers too often looked like a flashlight or a laser pointer or something.
Old February 6 2009, 03:23 PM   #41
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

^ The Encounters game for the PS2 does amend that, when Phasers hit something they do seem to melt and burn the target and you see debris and venting atmosphere coming from the damaged section too. Nice little effect.
Old February 6 2009, 05:07 PM   #42
Jack Frost
Commodore

PluckyNinja wrote: View Post
Federation ships commonly will have blue beams, Romulan ships red beams. The exception being Robau's ship. It has purple beams 'cause hes a badass.
I hope they get away from assigning stereotypical ideas of blues equaling the 'good guys', 'bad guys' have red.

One logical way to portray the weapon beam colors (imo) is, (and this is how I hope the Producers saw it too for this film) to have the color of the beam match the intensity setting. Stun settings would be in the 'cool' color ranging up to 'hot' colors for vaporizing.
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 05:12 PM   #43
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Then again, GL could have also gotten SW out on schedule in 1976.

As I recall, the primary driver for the Trek revival's brief detour as TV series was the attempted creation of the Paramount network. Certainly, the success of SW made it an easy decision to re-greenlight the film after UPN Mark I failed.
Old February 7 2009, 01:04 AM   #44
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post

Then again, GL could have also gotten SW out on schedule in 1976.

As I recall, the primary driver for the Trek revival's brief detour as TV series was the attempted creation of the Paramount network. Certainly, the success of SW made it an easy decision to re-greenlight the film after UPN Mark I failed.
To address the last point first: Par decided they waited too late for a trek film and admitted 'we're beaten' in cancelling TITANS. The Phase 2 thing came along handily, and at least allowed set construction to begin.

SW could NEVER EVER have gotten out in 1976. Believe me, I've talked to lots of ILM employees (hell, I wrote a screenplay based on the ILM end of the making of SW), and you would not have had anything close to a releasable pic. They didn't even start ILM up till summer 75, and only had 4 FX shots done by summer of 76 (that's out of 360+) ... Considering that a lot of that time was spent designing and building and debugging a brand new repeatable camera system (one so good that it had less than a week of downtime for the entire period it was fully operational), the idea of xmas 76 was blue-sky in the extreme.
Old February 7 2009, 01:35 AM   #45
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

You are incorrect. PLANET OF THE TITANS had Phil Kaufmann as director, Jordan Belson for optical effects, Ken Adam & Derek MEddings (both of Bond fame) for production design and miniatures, and was basically a 'go' project even before having a full script. It was cancelled within a month of SW coming out, and phase 2 arose out of those ashes for a short time.

As for the demand for TREK SF ... you had to be there. the mid 70s had an insane demand for trek (30,000 at a chicago con) and any action adventure film (even of mediocre quality) that came out ahead of SW would have cleaned up like you wouldn't believe.
Yes and considering the Film would have ended with Kirk and company pretty much stuck in the distant past founding the advanced civilization they were looking for in th film Star Trek probably would have ended then.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote