Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 4 2009, 03:57 AM   #1
Aquehonga
Fleet Captain

Location: nuSpringville Transbus Hub: there be Yukon deers on them buses!
Why was Odo such a lousy bush-league shapeshifter?

As correctly noted by the changeling impersonating Robert Foxworth's admiral character in that 2-parter when the Founders went to San Francisco.

Laas the Louse tried to educate Odo in the ways of shapeshifting, Laas's only positive contribution was that.

Prior to Kid Nausea, err, Laas's failed teaching experience, the Femme-Odo didn't accomplish much in the Teaching-to-Shapeshift Dept either. She was too busy being “Romulan Commander Woman” to Odo's “Spock” to know she was doing.

Odo never pushed his shapeshifting to the max. He could've/should've counter-infiltrated the Dominion, pretended to be a Founder more than effing onceNot to mention imitating Jem'Hadar, Vorta, and Cardassians.

Odo also could've used his authoritah, as a(n ersatz) Founder, to order around Vorta & Jem'Hadar

Back to core-topic: was up with Odo's untapped shapeshiting talent(s), assuming there are any Especially, in particular, Odo's utter failure at impersonating human(oid) faces

At series end it would've been to show Odo shapeshifting into a perfect double of Sisko &/or other DS9 crew. This would show he finally has it & doesn't belong on the Island of Misfit Shapeshifters

2 Herberts {Femme-Odo,Laas} failed at teaching Odo how to be just simply a garden-variety changeling.I'd like to think in the decade Odo's been a Great Linker, that now he can finally imitate human(oid) faces, as well as infernos, clouds & interstellar debris.

I mean, seriously Odo

Your view(s)>
Aquehonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 04:06 AM   #2
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Why was Odo such a lousy bush-league shapeshifter?

You sure like your emoticons, don't you?

Odo has a few disadvantages: for one thing, he's young. Although this was no impediment to Laas, it seems like Laas was never under the thumb of a solid. Odo, on the other hand, was pretty much at the mercy of Dr. Mora and the Cardassians for much of his life. Odds are he didn't get to explore his abilities a whole lot under their gentle tutelage. He also hadn't had a lot of exposure to his own kind.

Also, there is no reason to think there isn't some natural talent involved in shapeshifting. Could be he just wasn't naturally that good at it. Laas seemed to be extremely adept, and there were changelings that had no trouble convincingly replacing humans and other solids.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Marie1
Rear Admiral

He was taught to shapeshift by a Bajoran. A Bajoran who thought he was goop. I'm surprised he did as good as he did. He learned quicker after meeting the Founders.
Vote: RA Avatar Contest #21!
"He sings lounges? I'm not familiar with that musical form."
-Taran'atar, DS9-R Mission Gamma 3 --Save Taran'atar!
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 07:17 AM   #4
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

For many years, this was a guy who was probably trying not to call attention to the fact he was a shapeshifter. I don't think he practiced behind closed doors and maybe even felt resentful every time he had to do it based on the way they treated him like he was the entertainment early on. I can see his development as a shapeshifter was slowed by this, but also, his straightforward and honest personality may hamper him to some extent. He may not be a guy, er, thing who can fully get into being something other than the identity he'd worked hard to make for himself. The more time he spends with his own people, the more quickly he will "catch up," I'm sure.
JNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Odo has a few disadvantages: for one thing, he's young. Although this was no impediment to Laas, it seems like Laas was never under the thumb of a solid. Odo, on the other hand, was pretty much at the mercy of Dr. Mora and the Cardassians for much of his life. Odds are he didn't get to explore his abilities a whole lot under their gentle tutelage. He also hadn't had a lot of exposure to his own kind.
I agree with this. Plus, IIRC, Laas first started shapeshifting over a century earlier, whereas Odo started taking on non-gelatinous forms little more than a decade before the series started. So Laas has had a lot more time to practice. Odo is still maturing as a Changeling.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Photon
Commodore

Aquehonga wrote: View Post
As correctly noted by the changeling impersonating Robert Foxworth's admiral character in that 2-parter when the Founders went to San Francisco.

Laas the Louse tried to educate Odo in the ways of shapeshifting, Laas's only positive contribution was that.

Prior to Kid Nausea, err, Laas's failed teaching experience, the Femme-Odo didn't accomplish much in the Teaching-to-Shapeshift Dept either. She was too busy being “Romulan Commander Woman” to Odo's “Spock” to know she was doing.

Odo never pushed his shapeshifting to the max. He could've/should've counter-infiltrated the Dominion, pretended to be a Founder more than effing onceNot to mention imitating Jem'Hadar, Vorta, and Cardassians.

Odo also could've used his authoritah, as a(n ersatz) Founder, to order around Vorta & Jem'Hadar

Back to core-topic: was up with Odo's untapped shapeshiting talent(s), assuming there are any Especially, in particular, Odo's utter failure at impersonating human(oid) faces

At series end it would've been to show Odo shapeshifting into a perfect double of Sisko &/or other DS9 crew. This would show he finally has it & doesn't belong on the Island of Misfit Shapeshifters

2 Herberts {Femme-Odo,Laas} failed at teaching Odo how to be just simply a garden-variety changeling.I'd like to think in the decade Odo's been a Great Linker, that now he can finally imitate human(oid) faces, as well as infernos, clouds & interstellar debris.

I mean, seriously Odo

Your view(s)>
Dude, I gotta migrane after reading that. Chill on the smiles
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 02:20 AM   #7
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

JNG wrote: View Post
For many years, this was a guy who was probably trying not to call attention to the fact he was a shapeshifter. I don't think he practiced behind closed doors and maybe even felt resentful every time he had to do it based on the way they treated him like he was the entertainment early on. I can see his development as a shapeshifter was slowed by this, but also, his straightforward and honest personality may hamper him to some extent. He may not be a guy, er, thing who can fully get into being something other than the identity he'd worked hard to make for himself. The more time he spends with his own people, the more quickly he will "catch up," I'm sure.
Thats how I've always saw it, as well as his youth compared to Laas. That episode got into it a little. Odo saw it as an uncomfortable disturbance. He just wanted to fit in and be accepted, not draw attention to himself as being different.

I'm sure on some level that with his infatuation, and then relationship with Kira, it heightened his need to feel more 'normal' to her.
Old February 5 2009, 04:05 AM   #8
mythme
Commodore

The future Odo in "Children of Time" nearly perfected how to imitate a face, although it took a few generations to do so. Odo never really seemed all that interested in perfecting his shapeshifting skills. When he first met his people he seemed almost befuddled at the idea that they would spend hours in the form of rock for the sake of experiencing what its like to be a rock.
Old February 5 2009, 04:12 AM   #9
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

mythme wrote: View Post
The future Odo in "Children of Time" nearly perfected how to imitate a face, although it took a few generations to do so. Odo never really seemed all that interested in perfecting his shapeshifting skills. When he first met his people he seemed almost befuddled at the idea that they would spend hours in the form of rock for the sake of experiencing what its like to be a rock.
He can't do ears, but he can get all the feathers right on a Tarkelian hawk. Weird.
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 06:56 AM   #10
Navaros
Commodore

It is obviously simply that way to dumb-down the show for the sake of not confusing the audience. Same reason why the female Founder, Laas, and other Founders always look like Odo even though they hate humanoids and are good shapeshifters, hence that makes no sense whatosever on many levels.

Also, there are more sensible practical implications. It's not like they are gonna give RA's lines to the other actors. That would have been a tragic waste of RA's amazing talents.
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 01:06 PM   #11
Anwar
Vice Admiral

At first they said that Odo's less than normal face was the result of him only wanting to look like a basic solid form/it was the best he could do.

Later on, I think they just retconned it so that the smoothface look is the default solid form any changeling automatically assumes when being solid without impersonating someone else. In their DNA, I suppose.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 02:44 PM   #12
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

Anwar wrote: View Post
Later on, I think they just retconned it so that the smoothface look is the default solid form any changeling automatically assumes when being solid without impersonating someone else. In their DNA, I suppose.
That might not be far off in logic. It could be a common thing they implant in their biology, a standard image to help connect them with their people. Maybe because they knew he'd spend all his time with solids.
Old February 6 2009, 01:07 AM   #13
mythme
Commodore

jamestyler wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
That might not be far off in logic. It could be a common thing they implant in their biology, a standard image to help connect them with their people. Maybe because they knew he'd spend all his time with solids.
Compound this with the fact that humanoid-shape changelings look a lot like humanoids who seeded the Galaxy in "The Chase" (their representitive played by Salome Jens coincidently) - hence we might have the basis of an interesting backstory for a future novel.
Old February 6 2009, 01:36 AM   #14
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I theorized a while back that the Founders were probably one of the first forms of life to emerge as a result of the Progenitors.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 02:50 AM   #15
jamestyler
Commodore

mythme wrote: View Post
Compound this with the fact that humanoid-shape changelings look a lot like humanoids who seeded the Galaxy in "The Chase" (their representitive played by Salome Jens coincidently) - hence we might have the basis of an interesting backstory for a future novel.
Thats true, and I never even thought about it. I remember when the female changling showed up and noticing some odd similarities.

Good call