Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 20 36.36%
Above Average 22 40.00%
Average 11 20.00%
Below Average 2 3.64%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 5 2009, 05:18 AM   #76
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Lost 5x04: "The Little Prince"

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Yeah, I've had this theory for awhile. The Swan sat on a micro black hole that existed in equilibrium within the Island due to its weird properties. Dharma, in its finite wisdom, decided to poke a hole in the dam so to speak, hoping harness the energy from a pinpoint hole in the black hole. This is why if you don't push the button it will destroy the world; it periodically vents the released energy harmlessly. If you don't push the button, the black hole escapes its captivity and devours the planet. The fail safe key permanently seals the Dharma hole in the barrier, so that no more energy can escape, but this also means Dharma could never hope to harness that energy for good (hence why they didn't just seal it in the first place).
That.. is... actaully a very good theory, I like it

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old February 5 2009, 05:21 AM   #77
Mr Light
Admiral

It's been so long I don't remember, but I think the black hole thing might've been semi-confirmed by the creators in an interview/DVD? Or maybe I just think too highly of my own theories

Old February 5 2009, 05:23 AM   #78
Mr Light
Admiral

This also explains they don't just have an automated computer program perform the button pushing. They were afraid gravitational distortions or an EM pulse would short out the computer. That's why they need living people pushing the button.

Old February 5 2009, 05:34 AM   #79
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Lots of people were convinced she was an Other who got exiled or ran away from them. Too many holes in her story, like how she's never seen the Others before only heard their whispers, then all of a sudden she's an expert at tracking and capturing them and is an expert on Ben and how he'll lie for a long time under torture... It appeared that she was married to Ben and had Alex with him but then ran off for some reason. I never thought it myself but it was a plausible theory. Still could be true if she just joins the Others after the Frenchies get killed.
I've never heard any of those theories. I also never once thought that Alex was Ben's kid. As for how Rousseau knows so much about the Others, I just figured that she knew what she knew because of her time on the island, hiding and watching. I do think she had some brief encounters with them early on though. Looks like we'll actually see what happened in the next few weeks.
Old February 5 2009, 06:49 AM   #80
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Solid great episode. I'm really enjoying this season.

Does Hawkins/Widmore stay in touch?

Desmond is en route to LA. Given that he has a sail boat he will most likely dock in the very same marina as the group of Ben, Sun, Aaron, Kate, Jack are gathered explaining how they'd cross paths. Or will they cross paths after they leave dock and they are en route. Didn't see them meeting up at marina but makes so much sense for this show. Doesn't feel contrived but is plausible.

Like how the show is using time travel to explore and address outstanding mysteries of the island that could only be done through time travel. Plus I always get a kick out of the stroll down memory lane a la "All Good Things..." we've been treated to this season as we revisit familiar events in the history of the show.

I'm thinking now Miles is Chang's son we briefly saw in the 5.1 teaser. Pretty clever and subtle on the writers part.
Who is darting Sayid and Hurley? Ben? Widmore? Just because the guy had Kate's address doesn't necessarily mean they are linked or it could be misdirection.

We saw Dan in the Orchid as it was being constructed in the 70s by Dharma in episode 5.1. Tonite we saw that survivors have decided to go to the Orchid, what if by the time they get there they will be in the 70s and Dan goes in there since he is the only one that knows of it and how it works. Will this also lead to crossing path with Chang?

Sun came to LA to eliminate Ben. Did Ben use himself as bait to lure her here so he could take her back to the island? Certainly would be in Ben's manipulative style.

Who are the new mystery attackers? We never learned what time period this was.

They did a good job with casting the younger Hawkins and Widmore last week and did a good job this week with the younger Rousseau. Jin probably thinks he struck his head a bit too hard when he sees this young Rousseau. He never learned that Rousseau was killed by the mercenaries.

We know the survivors are in 1988 since Rousseau crashed 16 years earlier and furthermore we know the Purge didn't occur until 1992 since in "Cabin Fever" we learned it occurred 12 years earlier. So maybe they'll cross paths with Dharma in the 80s.

The weakest parts which thankfully didn't take up too much time were the attempts to create emotional resonance with Sawyer missing Kate. I've never cared for them or Jack/Kate myself.

Last edited by startrekwatcher; February 5 2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old February 5 2009, 07:12 AM   #81
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Above Average.

Much like last year, Episode 4 is Kate-centric (so to speak) and not as good as the three that preceded it.

Don't get me wrong though. It's light years better than "Eggtown."

I'll admit that I'll probably be eating crow from a couple weeks ago when I thought there was no way they'd do that thing with Dr. Chang's baby that was spoiler-coded upthread. Indeed, given the time-line of killer nosebleeds, it seems very likely.

Jack may end up being completely wrong about trusting Ben, but it's good to see him getting back to being a little decisive and not quite so much of a whiner. Sawyer continues to be one of my favourites this season and his stuff with Juliet was really good. Then again, you could put Juliet in a room with a potted plant and I'd call it great TV. I may be biased.

Sawyer also had the same thought I had when I saw the hatch light in a promo picture. Why doesn't John go over there and tell himself to fucking man up?

Anyway, it's true that nothing of huge consequence really happened in the episode, but rather than the stall eps of old, it was pretty clear that this is a set-up episode and it's actually going somewhere good.

Couple of thoughts:

- They kind of cheated on Jin if his circumstance is what it appears to be at face value. After all, that was a pretty serious explosion. Then again, within the rules of of the show it may not be cheating at all. Maybe the island still has a few errands for Mr. Kwon to run.

- I was spoiled that Young Rousseau was going to be showing up at some point this season but even if I hadn't been I think I still would have been disappointed with how they revealed it. It was telegraphed like ten minutes before she actually said her name and then they played ominous music like it was supposed to be shocking. I'm happy that she's there though. Now that they've got the clumsy reveal out of the way they can get down to the business of doing some cool shit. Did Jin flip out and cut off Montand's arm? I can't wait to find out.

- Ben retaining Dan Norton is pretty cool, I just don't know what he's driving at. What's the point of taking Aaron away from Kate? They all have to go back, unless there's some weird rules as to how that we're not aware of. Also, Jack has a good point: It's gotta be more than a coincidence that Norton is also Mrs. Littleton's lawyer.

- Finally, not a lot of Hurley love this week, but his one brief scene was gold. Hurley in an orange jumpsuit using his one phone call on Jack and looking thrilled to be there was great! Dude has an odd love of being incarcerated
Old February 5 2009, 07:27 AM   #82
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

good episode, although im strill trying to figure out one thing. The scene where they were getting shot at, and then it flashed and they went back in time, while on the boat, how did the boat also go back in time with them? I thought only they could travel back and forth. So when they jumped thru time, wouldnt they just end up in the ocean during that storm, kayak-less?

Also during the scene where Claire was giving birth, during that very scene wasn't Jin and Charlie there as well to witness Aaron's birth? Yet they were nowhere to be found here, Charlie for obvious reasons, but Jin I'm sure to wait and show for the reveal.

They could have easily chose another time and place for Sawyer to see Kate.
Old February 5 2009, 07:34 AM   #83
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
good episode, although im strill trying to figure out one thing. The scene where they were getting shot at, and then it flashed and they went back in time, while on the boat, how did the boat also go back in time with them? I thought only they could travel back and forth. So when they jumped thru time, wouldnt they just end up in the ocean during that storm, kayak-less?
They haven't explained how it works but they've established that stuff that's on you during a flash goes with you. Like Daniel's zodiac, Locke's compass or their clothes. Daniel mentions something about it in "Because You Left."

Also during the scene where Claire was giving birth, during that very scene wasn't Jin and Charlie there as well to witness Aaron's birth?
Charlie and Jin were off finding help and supplies, IIRC. For the moment of truth I think it was just Kate. Which jives, since most of the footage from tonight's scene was stock.

They could have easily chose another time and place for Sawyer to see Kate.
Well yeah but then you can't do the cool hatch light thing from "Deus Ex Machina" which was happening at the same time. I thought it worked pretty well.
Old February 5 2009, 07:42 AM   #84
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

CHarlie and Jin were there while Clair was pushing the baby out, BUT, they were standing far back during the original episode. When Sawyer was watching in tonight's episode they were just probably simply out of his line of sight. But in the original episode yes they were there during the birth sequence.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old February 5 2009, 07:43 AM   #85
Aragorn
Admiral

Is it weird that I'm loving this ride Lost is taking me on, but I wish they hadn't gone all sci fi?
Old February 5 2009, 07:45 AM   #86
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
CHarlie and Jin were there while Clair was pushing the baby out, BUT, they were standing far back during the original episode. When Sawyer was watching in tonight's episode they were just probably simply out of his line of sight. But in the original episode yes they were there during the birth sequence.
I stand corrected. You've seen it more recently than I have so I defer to your call, sir.

So yeah, I guess Sawyer couldn't see them from where he was standing. Anyway, I feel it's a minor gripe. The whole point was Sawyer being gutted by seeing Kate again. Josh Holloway played it great and anything else would have been kind of a distraction.
Old February 5 2009, 07:50 AM   #87
Mallet
Fleet Captain

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post

Who are the new mystery attackers? We never learned what time period this was.
Well, we know it was the future since the Losties camp was there but deserted and all the food stuff used up. So it had to have been after the Oceanic Six got off the island. How far in the future was it? Well the camp was still standing, but it looked in bad shape... So maybe 3 years?

Is it possible that those boats "were/are/will be" the ones the Oceanic Six use to return to the island? Somebody that was in them flew on that Indian Airway before paddling to the island. My money is on it being Jack, Kate & the rest who made it off.

Imagine this scenario... Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hurley, Aaron, Ben, Sun, Desmond, Frank and Locke's body paddle up to the Island in those two boats. They get out and begin exploring trying to find everyone they left behind. Meanwhile Sawyer and the Others show up and take one of the boats.

Jack and the others return to the beach and see someone paddling away in one of their boats. They don't know who so they give chase.

Not likely I know, but it could happen.
Old February 5 2009, 12:03 PM   #88
chrisspringob
Commodore

Lindley wrote: View Post
Um, I just realized something.....Walt totally has to get in on this time-travel stuff at some point so he can "drop in" on Shannon and Locke.
Same thing could explain appearances by several of the supposedly "dead" characters, like Christian Shephard.
Old February 5 2009, 12:11 PM   #89
chrisspringob
Commodore

Yeah, I've had this theory for awhile. The Swan sat on a micro black hole that existed in equilibrium within the Island due to its weird properties. Dharma, in its finite wisdom, decided to poke a hole in the dam so to speak, hoping harness the energy from a pinpoint hole in the black hole. This is why if you don't push the button it will destroy the world; it periodically vents the released energy harmlessly. If you don't push the button, the black hole escapes its captivity and devours the planet. The fail safe key permanently seals the Dharma hole in the barrier, so that no more energy can escape, but this also means Dharma could never hope to harness that energy for good (hence why they didn't just seal it in the first place).
Hmmmm......could be, but I still think the nuke from "Jughead" is going to play into the craziness of the island somehow, possibly the radiation leaking from the nuke interacted with some pre-existing craziness about the island, which led to all the time travel, or something like that.

I just think the nuke is going to come up again in a big way. It wasn't just an accident that they made a big deal out of showing it in that ep.
Old February 5 2009, 03:05 PM   #90
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
Desmond is en route to LA. Given that he has a sail boat he will most likely dock in the very same marina as the group of Ben, Sun, Aaron, Kate, Jack are gathered explaining how they'd cross paths. Or will they cross paths after they leave dock and they are en route. Didn't see them meeting up at marina but makes so much sense for this show. Doesn't feel contrived but is plausible.
Hard to imagine a boat sailing from England to Los Angeles after sailing through the Panama Canal (or going around the Horn) in such a short time.