Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old February 5 2009, 05:33 AM   #1
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

BSG ratings rock!

Irrelevant to BSG's fate but a good sign for Caprica:

Overall, the January 16 episode, the first of the series' highly-anticipated final installment, averaged a 2.0 HH rating, 1.8 million Adults 18-49 (up +38% over the Live +Same Day ratings), 1.9 million Adults 25-54 (+35%), and 2.8 million total viewers (+32%). This was the best performance for Battlestar Galactica in total viewers since the season 2 premiere in July 2005.
Old February 5 2009, 05:36 AM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: BSG ratings rock!

Sweet!

That said, I'm happy with its fate. It's ending at just the right time.
Old February 5 2009, 06:39 AM   #3
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Hm. Could it be that the word of mouth promotion started to pick up in the mid season gap? I always suspected that 5 years from now the number of people who would have watched if they felt the same way at the time would be huge.
Old February 5 2009, 06:55 AM   #4
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Irrelevant to BSG's fate but a good sign for Caprica:

Overall, the January 16 episode, the first of the series' highly-anticipated final installment, averaged a 2.0 HH rating, 1.8 million Adults 18-49 (up +38% over the Live +Same Day ratings), 1.9 million Adults 25-54 (+35%), and 2.8 million total viewers (+32%). This was the best performance for Battlestar Galactica in total viewers since the season 2 premiere in July 2005.
Sorry..not impressed...Yeah, I know viewing habits are different...but 2 million? This show just is not seen beyond the genre fans it has. Heck, almost the same amount of people watch GENERAL HOSPITAL every day....and compared to TNG, and even Deep Space Nine's ratings (both sydicated) BSG isn't even in the same ball park....

And one must ask why are nuBSG's numbers down compared to its own highs from seasons one and two??? Erosion...pure and simple.

Rob
Old February 5 2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Skywalker
Admiral

2 million is good for a five-year old show on Sci-Fi. There's no point in comparing its ratings to shows on broadcast networks.
Old February 5 2009, 08:39 AM   #6
billcosby
Commodore

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post

And one must ask why are nuBSG's numbers down compared to its own highs from seasons one and two??? Erosion...pure and simple.

Rob
"Battlestar? Oh, is that still on? I thought it finished last year."
-casual viewer

Old February 5 2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Lately, I've been thinking that if Moore hadn't pulled the plug on BSG, it would have gotten renewed for a 5th season. Caprica getting a full season order started that belief and now this news about the ratings has me believing it even more.
Old February 5 2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Sorry..not impressed...Yeah, I know viewing habits are different...but 2 million? This show just is not seen beyond the genre fans it has. Heck, almost the same amount of people watch GENERAL HOSPITAL every day....and compared to TNG, and even Deep Space Nine's ratings (both sydicated) BSG isn't even in the same ball park....

2.8 million is good for a cable series... esp. a scifi cable series. For a little perspective check out this story from last year regarding AMC's Mad Men.

"Mad Men" scored record ratings in its second-season premiere.

The AMC drama drew nearly 2 million viewers, more than double last season's average (915,000) and, in an even bigger coup, tripled its average of adults 18-49. The episode also posted impressive gains from its lead-in (an airing of "Jerry Maguire," which netted 1.1 million).

The show, a drama about 1960s-era Madison Avenue, made Emmy history earlier this month, picking up one of basic cable's first-ever outstanding drama series nominations and 16 nods overall, the most for any drama series this year.

SOURCE
That's right... even after Mad Men's viewers doubled from season one they still weren't getting 2 million viewers. And that is for a series with a far more mainstream premise that regularly dominates the awards ceremonies.

BSG is doing very well. Good for them, they deserve it.
Old February 5 2009, 04:50 PM   #9
lorelai2112
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry, but these aren't good numbers, its Sci Fi spin. SciFi has combined the overnight same day ratings with the DVR +7 day numbers to get this figure. And it's only for the 4.5 "season" premier. Numbers have been dropping since and last week it was bested by three other Sci Fi shows: Ghost Hunters International,Wyvern (Movie), and ECW. Actual viewers last week: 1,560,000. DVR results take 3 weeks to come back and may help this a bit, but overall, I think these are bad numbers especially considering the show is in it's final episodes.

(http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/02/03...066#more-12066)

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
Old February 5 2009, 04:51 PM   #10
flavaflav
Commander

meh... and i thought Terminator had bad ratings.
Old February 5 2009, 05:38 PM   #11
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Once an endpoint for the series was decided, I stopped caring about ratings. They only matter to me when the survival/renewal of future seasons is at stake. I stopped bothering with LOST's ratings too once they announced the end-point of the series.
Old February 5 2009, 09:14 PM   #12
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
Once an endpoint for the series was decided, I stopped caring about ratings. They only matter to me when the survival/renewal of future seasons is at stake. I stopped bothering with LOST's ratings too once they announced the end-point of the series.
Indeed. At this point, ratings won't affect anything. BSG is ending. It's final episodes have been filmed and will air. Fans will get to watch the story reach its natural ending. The same is true for "Lost". The end-date has been selected. ABC isn't going to cancel it beforehand. Ratings don't really matter anymore. The only thing I care about is telling good stories.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Old February 5 2009, 10:57 PM   #13
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Eh. Nobody watched The Wire, either. Mad Men likewise has a pretty minuscule audience. Frankly, I'm amazed so many people watched The Sopranos. You want numbers? Go watch Paula and Simon drive another poor chick to off herself.

EDIT: I see Kelso already noted Mad Men.
Old February 5 2009, 11:11 PM   #14
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

lorelai2112 wrote: View Post
Sorry, but these aren't good numbers, its Sci Fi spin. SciFi has combined the overnight same day ratings with the DVR +7 day numbers to get this figure. And it's only for the 4.5 "season" premier.
Sure they're putting it in a good light, but Battlestar is one of the most DVR'd and BitTorrented shows currently on TV. Also, these are the best numbers the show has seen since it's season 2 premiere, so I'm sure they're happy.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Old February 6 2009, 01:39 AM   #15
lorelai2112
Lieutenant Junior Grade

IndyJones wrote: View Post

Sure they're putting it in a good light, but Battlestar is one of the most DVR'd and BitTorrented shows currently on TV. Also, these are the best numbers the show has seen since it's season 2 premiere, so I'm sure they're happy.
With due respect, I don't think they, as in the studio and network, are really happy about being high on the BitTorrented lists. That means people are getting their copy-written material illegally which could mean DVD sales they may not get. Also, networks care about advertising and people DVRing and downloading the show aren't watching those ads. That means the network has to charge less for that time. The Sci Fi spin is to make things sound rosey but it's hard for me to think everything's all that great when they once hit a near 3 million mark. Sci Fi used to have at least 3 shows in the cable top 20 each week. None of their shows make that now. So I can't buy the "greatest numbers ever..." line from Sci Fi when I know they've had better numbers.