Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 31 2009, 10:22 PM   #16
Neopeius
Admiral

Re: Why no sequal to JC The Thing.

There is a cool PC/console game which takes place after the events of the movie (and presumably changes those events a bit).

I used to play it in the garage in the dark with the windows open to let the frigid winter breeze in. When the little Thingies would pop up at you, it was totally freaky.

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2009, 10:31 PM   #17
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It's on Sci-Fi Channel tonight, I should see if it's actually in true HD. How the hell did they manage to slip that in with Abominable, Yeti, Ice Spiders and Wyvern? I think someone's head is going to roll when they find out that they aired a half-way decent movie on Saturday night.

Neopeius wrote: View Post
I used to play it in the garage in the dark with the windows open to let the frigid winter breeze in. When the little Thingies would pop up at you, it was totally freaky.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 05:53 AM   #18
Neopeius
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

Neopeius wrote: View Post
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
Totally serious. I'm all about atmosphere.

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 11:38 AM   #19
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

The worst thing about a possible sequel/prequel is that they'd use CG. There's something more visceral about using latex and rubber and fake blood and so on that CG can't match.
The thing is you know the creature isn't real anyway...but the practical effects are right there in front of the camera...while my eye can still spot the CG quite easily. Especially if it's creature effects (CG backgrounds and buildings are usually quite good).
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 07:38 PM   #20
Aquehonga
Fleet Captain

Location: nuSpringville Transbus Hub: there be Yukon deers on them buses!

Leave it alone I say. JC's film was a cover of an original THING from the late 1950's.

Not every movie has to be prequalled/sequalled.

J effing C
Aquehonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 12:36 AM   #21
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
The worst thing about a possible sequel/prequel is that they'd use CG. There's something more visceral about using latex and rubber and fake blood and so on that CG can't match.
The thing is you know the creature isn't real anyway...but the practical effects are right there in front of the camera...while my eye can still spot the CG quite easily. Especially if it's creature effects (CG backgrounds and buildings are usually quite good).

I've never understood that arguement though. Surely your eye can tell when something is a piece of rubber. A rubber Thing-dog is just as fake as a CGI Thing-dog and the big advantage to the CGI dog is you can't see the seams where the dog ends and the stuntman underneath begins.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 12:48 AM   #22
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
I prefer leaving it at the ambiguous ending...
Me too.

It was a nice ending. No dramatic shoot out, just Snake Plis... I mean Kurt Russell giving the alien a fuck you, then he's stuck in the cold, not even knowing if he's killed the damned thing. Why do we need to have everything handed to us on a plate?

As an aside, the first time I got to sit down and watch the thing was with my ex (something to thank her for, how's about that). After seeing every last detail for the first time, I could hardly bear to have her touch me in bed afterwards. Kissing me, hands running all over me, all I could thing of was the damned Thing!
Old February 2 2009, 01:12 AM   #23
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Great, with Moore on this, we'll end up being confronted by the innate humanity of the Thing and how we're no better than it and maybe we actually deserve to be wiped out by it. The film will be alternately super awesome and hugely depressing. And gritty. And dark.

And the Norwegians will be Swedes and one of the Swedes will be a woman, cause Moore likes to change shit up.

No sequel unless Carpenter and Russell are in it.

And JC's The Thing is NOT a remake of that bullshit '50s flick. They're both independent adaptations of the original short story "Who Goes There?"
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 06:32 AM   #24
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Aquehonga wrote: View Post
Leave it alone I say. JC's film was a cover of an original THING from the late 1950's.

Not every movie has to be prequalled/sequalled.

J effing C

Not only that, it was a very faithful take on the source material, that is, the short story Who Goes There.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 01:53 PM   #25
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Nardpuncher wrote: View Post

I've never understood that arguement though. Surely your eye can tell when something is a piece of rubber. A rubber Thing-dog is just as fake as a CGI Thing-dog and the big advantage to the CGI dog is you can't see the seams where the dog ends and the stuntman underneath begins.

What it is is that I've already suspended my disbelief, I know there's no alien there, but when they use rubber and latex and whatnot...that stuff is really in front of the camera. The eye can see that and it helps to make it seem more real.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 05:57 PM   #26
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I haven't seen this movie in a long time, but I always thought of JC's version as a sequel to the 50's version. The main thing that leads me to this is the scene where they are viewing the videos/films the Norwegians made of the ufo. those clips look exactly like clips from the original movie.
Old February 2 2009, 09:20 PM   #27
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
I haven't seen this movie in a long time, but I always thought of JC's version as a sequel to the 50's version. The main thing that leads me to this is the scene where they are viewing the videos/films the Norwegians made of the ufo. those clips look exactly like clips from the original movie.
The 50s version takes place in the 50s, yes? The 80s one takes place in the 80s. Unless the 50s cast were all secretly Norwegians and hung out in Antarctica for thirty years before all dying horrible deaths a couple days before the start of JC's film, I'd say sequel doesn't really fit.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 08:58 AM   #28
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Old February 4 2009, 01:57 PM   #29
Starkers
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I think it's just a homage to the 50s film (not the first time Carpenter did this)

The Thing is a film that doesn't need a sequel. There's little point. Either the Thing is dead in the end (and probably so are Childes and MacCready) or else the Thing survived. Frankly if it survived mankind is screwed.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2009, 12:24 AM   #30
DaleC76
Captain

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
There were a few Darkhorse Comic miniseries sequels. I only read the first one; it was pretty well done.
On the DVD, Carpenter himself said he considered the Dark House miniseries to be the sequel to the film.