Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old February 3 2009, 12:00 PM   #16
Timo
Admiral

Re: Constellation class

Hmm... I'd still argue that the torpedo tubes indicated by the model are all pointing forward from the pylon junctures, as per the reuse of Constitution-refit neck elements, and that this ship lacks aft torpedo tubes since there aren't suitable surface features for them. Or if there's an aft tube or a pair of them, it would go between the impulse engines where there are some greeblies on the desktop model and a greebled cover plate for the motion control arm in the photographic model.

Also, the warp core should probably have a central reaction chamber thingamabob, as portrayed in "Peak Performance", rather than a featureless straight shaft. Okay, so the Hathaway might have had a reactor refit, as many of her consoles also looked more modern than those of the Stargazer. But in that case, the reactor in this MSD might be made more "TMP'ish" still.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2009, 08:25 PM   #17
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I would also put at least a few antimatter pods back between the impulse engines. Also, why did you make the warp core shorter?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 06:41 AM   #18
LCARS 24
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
Hmm... I'd still argue that the torpedo tubes indicated by the model are all pointing forward from the pylon junctures, as per the reuse of Constitution-refit neck elements, and that this ship lacks aft torpedo tubes since there aren't suitable surface features for them. Or if there's an aft tube or a pair of them, it would go between the impulse engines where there are some greeblies on the desktop model and a greebled cover plate for the motion control arm in the photographic model.

Also, the warp core should probably have a central reaction chamber thingamabob, as portrayed in "Peak Performance", rather than a featureless straight shaft. Okay, so the Hathaway might have had a reactor refit, as many of her consoles also looked more modern than those of the Stargazer. But in that case, the reactor in this MSD might be made more "TMP'ish" still.

Timo Saloniemi
Thanks, Timo. This shot of one of the filming models shows a door at the rear for the strut between the top two nacelles that I assumed was for a probe\torpedo launcher. Am I wrong about that?

http://lcars24.com/const-imp.jpg

I also mistakenly took other features on this model for the impulse engines before seeing th error of my ways.

About the intermix chamber and adjacent equipment, I thought I was moving that away from the impluse engines just to make it easy on the viewer but ended up not putting it in the new location. I'll fix that. Thanks for spotting my error.

Praetor wrote: View Post
I would also put at least a few antimatter pods back between the impulse engines. Also, why did you make the warp core shorter?
Thanks, Praetor. Locating the anitmatter pods between the two sets of impulse engines depicted sounds good. I think I'll do that.

The reason I shortened the core was for conformity with this aft cutaway published in Star Trek: The Magazine, which I could perhaps just as easily ignore, since it's not really canon.

http://lcars24.com/constcut.jpg
LCARS 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 08:09 AM   #19
Timo
Admiral

This shot of one of the filming models shows a door at the rear for the strut between the top two nacelles that I assumed was for a probe\torpedo launcher. Am I wrong about that?
Those are actually the bottom nacelles... The ship is mounted upside down in that picture!

Okay, that could be a door covering a torpedo tube - especially when the torpedo decks on the pylon junctures also have doors (or, in reality, don't have the muzzle bits glued on). Or, if we want to get fancy, it could be a door for a trailing sensor array...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Praetor
Vice Admiral

LCARS 24 wrote: View Post
Thanks, Praetor. Locating the anitmatter pods between the two sets of impulse engines depicted sounds good. I think I'll do that.

The reason I shortened the core was for conformity with this aft cutaway published in Star Trek: The Magazine, which I could perhaps just as easily ignore, since it's not really canon.

http://lcars24.com/constcut.jpg
I may be wrong (and maybe Timo wants to have a look to see what he thinks, or maybe we could conjur up Rick Sternbach) but I think that's a Shane Johnson/'Mr. Scott's Guide' style computer core coming up from the 'processors' at the bottom to connect to the underside of the bridge.

At least that's always what I thought since it wasn't explicitly labelled 'intermix chamber' and seemed to flow into the part labeled 'computer core.' It never entered my mind that it might be the warp core but now I'm having my doubts.

And that mystery door... that I just can't figure what would be most logical for it to be.

Here and here are great links from Doug Drexler's blog where the Constellation/Stargazer is discussed a bit, particularly the differences between Picard's model and the filming model.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old February 4 2009, 09:17 PM   #21
LCARS 24
Commodore

Maybe so. I thought the thing you drew below the bridge of the Miranda class was an ODN trunk line, not being an expert like you guys. Maybe I should do it like that with this one. It looks nice.

But here it is with the warp core lengthened a little, the misplaced intermix chamber restored, and antimatter storage where Gerard Gillan thought it should be.

I know it's traditional on TrekBBS to drag out making a schematic for one ship for years, but I'd like to call this one done, if possible. Of course, if there are any corrections to make, I'll make them.

Old February 4 2009, 09:35 PM   #22
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

Looks fine as it is, at least to me. All the relevant parts are there, in logical locations.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 09:41 PM   #23
ancient
Vice Admiral

I really like this ship, even though it suffers a bit from ship-of-the-week syndrome. I think it'd be neat to come up with a sleeker, less junked up version.

Anyway, good work on the diagram!
Old February 4 2009, 09:44 PM   #24
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Maybe so. I thought the thing you drew below the bridge of the Miranda class was an ODN trunk line, not being an expert like you guys. Maybe I should do it like that with this one. It looks nice.

But here it is with the warp core lengthened a little, the misplaced intermix chamber restored, and antimatter storage where Gerard Gillan thought it should be.

I know it's traditional on TrekBBS to drag out making a schematic for one ship for years, but I'd like to call this one done, if possible. Of course, if there are any corrections to make, I'll make them.

Yeah, I think the TMP-era ships maybe all had those direct ODN trunks, but later they drifted away from it by TNG times. Anyway, I think the Constellation looks great as it is.
Old February 4 2009, 09:50 PM   #25
LCARS 24
Commodore

Well, here it is with the Praetor touch. I like it better this way.

Old February 4 2009, 10:35 PM   #26
SoM
Commander

Okay, I'm probably looking right at it, but where's the warp core on the last few versions?
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 11:10 PM   #27
miraclefan
Commodore

Looking much better man!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2009, 11:23 PM   #28
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Well, I like it but I may be biased.

SoM wrote: View Post
Okay, I'm probably looking right at it, but where's the warp core on the last few versions?
It runs vertically from upper pylon to lower pylon, just between the bussards and warp coils. It's the orangey stripe looking thing.
Old February 6 2009, 06:21 AM   #29
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
I might suggest the "auxiliary bridge" is in fact the location of the warp core. For one, it would have an unobstructed vertical path for ejection, unlike in the case of a vertical core in the pylons. And its hatchlike elements could be how the fuel tanks are topped up. The drive plasma would fire up along the leading edge of the pylons, then.
That's a nice idea, but that would also lead to a LOT of power transfer conduits. Still, other ships seem to have a lot of PTC, and perhaps the main part of the core with the dilithium chamber can be ejected after the antimatter pods anyway, leaving behind just PTCs? Alternatively, it could be some type of dedicated astrometrics-type 'observatory.'

The lance-like protrusion underneath the hull could be a sensor element - but it also shares something with the cylinders we see at the corners of Miranda class roll bars.

So perhaps a supergun, even though we never saw those cylinders act in a gunlike manner on the Mirandas. Or, as I'd prefer, this cylinder could be a miniature form of the front end of Kirk's ship: this could be the main deflector of the Constellation, just like the pods on the Miranda would be its main deflectors.
I think Rick Sternbach wrote in his writeup for the Star Trek Magazine that it was a long-range 'sensor gun' more or less like you say it's analagous to the main sensor on the Constitution. The main deflector could still be kept where it is.

Also, the big bulges on the underside flanking this "lance" could be the fuel tanks of the ship. That is, instead of the neat multiple "canisters" inside the hull, this ship could have two large volumes basically similar to the tanks of the Galaxy.
You know, those have always bothered me. I'd say they're either deuterium tanks or the Starfleet ship equivalent of 'radar domes.'

Just wild suggestions. The ship appears just fine as it is in that latest MSD.
Timo Saloniemi
Agreed.
The big "gun" is a long range sensor, very very narrow angle FOV. The STM article described it. The bulges are short range sensor domes. Starfleet says the Constellation class is a class of science vessel but shhhh don't tell anyone it's really a fast recon ship.

Rick
www.spacemodelsystems.com
Old February 6 2009, 06:56 AM   #30
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Thanks for clarifying, maestro!