The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 30 2009, 09:57 PM   #16
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Doomsday Machine: Where's Uhura?

Took a sickday. That time of the month.
Old January 30 2009, 10:10 PM   #17
The Creeper
Commodore

For all that legwork M'Sharak, thank you.

I agree then, she was off duty at that time.

However, aren't the senior bridge crew-members, of which I thought she was one, required to man their station in an emergency no matter the time or, is there a senior bridge crew-member for each department for each duty shift?
Old January 30 2009, 10:42 PM   #18
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

"Senior bridge crew"? Was there such a thing in TOS? The navagator spot was a game of musical chairs until Chekov and Sulu was ofen MIA from helm. At times it was funny when they'd use a stock shot of helm/navagation but you could tell it wasn't the same duo that was manning those station in the episode.
Old January 30 2009, 10:56 PM   #19
The Creeper
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
"Senior bridge crew"? Was there such a thing in TOS? The navagator spot was a game of musical chairs until Chekov and Sulu was ofen MIA from helm. At times it was funny when they'd use a stock shot of helm/navagation but you could tell it wasn't the same duo that was manning those station in the episode.
I am probably getting my Treks mixed up. I remember someone, maybe it was Riker, saying Senior Officers to the bridge That implies to me that specif people are being called to duty but yeah, it probably wasn't in TOS.
Old January 30 2009, 11:28 PM   #20
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
In her quarters, getting her top off.
That's not all she got off.
"I'll ram her right down that thing's throat."
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 07:33 AM   #21
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Well, it was certainly pretty strongly implied that she was the department chief of the communications section, since any time they had a briefing with "all the department chiefs" she was there. If she was on board, regardless of her assigned duty shift, she'd be on the bridge once that red alert siren started going off.

So, it's a pretty safe bet she was on leave and away from the ship at the time. Maybe even in the Rigel system (wouldn't that have been a nice bit of added drama to the story?).
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 02:50 PM   #22
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

She was at Wrigley's Pleasure Planet -- chewing spearmint gum!
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 08:47 PM   #23
Timo
Admiral

There doesn't seem to be a rule about the most senior officer rushing to a specific station during alerts: Chekov, who is highly unlikely to be the Dept Chief of Navigation, doesn't have to hand over his buttons and switches to any of the full Lieutenants aboard, certainly. Thus, the TV episodes simply seem to represent adventures that happened on the shifts of these particular officers...

We have some reason to think that Sulu and Uhura could be the heads of their departments, yes. Spock obviously heads Sciences, in addition to his XO job, and Scotty heads Engineering. But there's still room for speculation there.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 08:53 PM   #24
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral

Early versions of the script had her getting her bikini line waxed, with McCoy mentioning that, from what he's seen, it would take a week.

Joe, noted Trek historian
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 11:40 PM   #25
KeepOnTrekking
Commodore

In my own personal canon, I prefer to believe that she's still on medical leave being retrained after having her memory wiped by Nomad in "The Changeling."
KeepOnTrekking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 12:07 AM   #26
Red Ranger
Admiral

As I recall, Uhura wasn't often off the bridge. And aside from TAS, the only other officer we saw at that station during the series was Palmer. And Chekov, in one movie. (Would've been nice to see a guy manning communications just once during the series -- I think Uhura told a male colleague to "take over for me" in Mirror, Mirror.)

George Takei was missing from some season two eps because he was filming The Green Berets with John Wayne. What was Nichelle Nichols doing when she was missing? Was it simply that her contract was only for a specific number of eps per season?

Red Ranger

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 12:31 AM   #27
cybersoldier
Commander

On vacation?
cybersoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 10:40 PM   #28
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

Besides "The Doomsday Machine", Uhura was also absent from "Miri", "The Devil in the Dark", "Wolf in the Fold" (filmed just after Doomsday Machine), "The Paradise Syndrome" (although she does appear in stock footage long shots), "The Empath", "The Way to Eden", "All Our Yesterdays" and "Turnabout Intruder".

Four other officers served as the Enterprise communications bridge officer during TOS: Alden, Farrell, Pamler and "Lisa".
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 10:44 PM   #29
Vance
Vice Admiral

We've actually hit this before. "Out of Character", Nichols was not a regular cast member, but a 'day player' - a few steps up from an extra, but not by all that much. This limited the amount of time she could have on screen, due to union rules (which were and are very strict about such things).

In character, she simply wasn't on shift for the few hours while this was occuring. With her station already covered, when the red alert sirens blare, she had damn well better be at quarters, as regulations dictate.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2009, 05:08 AM   #30
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Vance wrote: View Post
We've actually hit this before. "Out of Character", Nichols was not a regular cast member, but a 'day player' - a few steps up from an extra, but not by all that much. This limited the amount of time she could have on screen, due to union rules (which were and are very strict about such things).
That is a key bit of business that has been overlooked over the years, especially by Nichols, Takei, Doohan....not so much by Koenig, he's a big boy and knows the rules, but the others, in all the adulation that was rained upon them at the conventions, kinda forgot that there were only three regular cast members, Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelly, and Shatner was signed, and paid, as the star of the show.

The only other cast member who was signed as a regular was Grace Lee Whitney (note that she was in most of those first thirteen episodes, even if she just walked into a room and looked at somebody, she was there and got paid...until some unnamed lowlife studio exec tried to rape her and then had her fired, but that's another topic).

Hell, Eddie Paskey (Lt. Leslie) was in more episodes than George Takei, but I have yet to hear Paskey come out with a tell-all book about how Shatner is a rat bastard.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote