Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 31 2009, 10:16 AM   #1
Aquehonga
Fleet Captain

Location: nuSpringville Transbus Hub: there be Yukon deers on them buses!
Remember the good ole weeknights when TNT aired B5 reruns at 7:PM?

And now?

Nobody shows B5 in reruns.

Of course I'm going back many moons ago now. TNT aired B5 reruns weeknights@7:00pm in the fall of 1997 & spring of 1998.

You'd think SPIKE would acquire & air B5 reruns, back to back weeknights with their DS9 reruns?

I wonder if SPIKE even has DS9 anymore while we're on the subject

Anyway, if SPIKE doesn't have DS9 anymore, whoever acquires it should also acquire BABYLON 5, & show'em back to back like see.

I ain't in no mood to be shellin' out bags of shells for dvd sets see.

And diggin' for'em on u-tube can be a killjoy. Git me? OK pal!
Aquehonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Remember the good ole weeknights when TNT aired B5 reruns at 7:PM?

Those TNT showings were particularly special to me since that's the way I saw the first 3.5 seasons for the first time. Sci-Fi Channel also aired B5 for a year or two after TNT stopped. But B5 is such a cult niche show I don't think it'd be worth it for anyone to start airing it again.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Yup, that was my introduction to the show.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2009, 05:46 PM   #4
cylkoth
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Those TNT showings were particularly special to me since that's the way I saw the first 3.5 seasons for the first time. Sci-Fi Channel also aired B5 for a year or two after TNT stopped. But B5 is such a cult niche show I don't think it'd be worth it for anyone to start airing it again.
I hate that genre shows get slapped with the 'cult niche' tag. What made B5 reruns special is that they were a ratings success, leading TNT to order 5 movies and a spinoff. And they treated it as a success, not dismissing it's audience as outside the mainstream, as genre shows are typecast now-in spite of how good their ratings are. Look at the push TNT gave when they started airing it...
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue60b5/index.html
http://www.ntua.gr/lurk/misc/tntletter.html

Here's an old article I found while trying to search for cable ratings info on B5's run on TNT. I wanted to pin down just how well it did before posting the numbers my memory recalls reading about..didn't find what I wanted, but this story, which doesn't focus on hard numbers, is an informative read on how well it performed back in the day...
After four seasons in first-run syndication with iffy chances of renewal each summer, "B5" found what seemed to be a savior in TNT, sister company to "B5" producer Warner Bros. First the network bought the rights to "B5" reruns, then funded the show's fifth and final season as well as several TV movies.
Things seemed just ducky. As TV critics were questioning the vitality of the "Star Trek" franchise, "Babylon 5" garnered a new cachet. Suddenly there were "B5" magazines, books, even action figures.
"All science fiction gets more than sci-fi fans," said TNT senior vice president of programming Lisa Mateas in January 1998. "What does Hollywood do when they want to cast a wide net? They make a sci-fi movie."
http://www.post-gazette.com/tv/19990606crusadea4.asp
Old January 31 2009, 10:11 PM   #5
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Aquehonga wrote: View Post

Nobody shows B5 in reruns.
You'd think Skiffy would air it, get some viewers and introduce a new generation to classic scifi like Babylon-5. Surely a B-5 marathon would pull better ratings than Ripleys Believe it or Not and Wrestling reruns.

TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Orintho
Vice Admiral

I don't understand why the Scifi network does not step in and actively pursue broadcast rights to all the major genre series. Shows like Star Trek, B5, etc. provide rather good syndication ratings.
Old January 31 2009, 11:17 PM   #7
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Because they're incredibly expensive.

Spike is dropping Trek from their schedules. TNG left last year, DS9 has ended, and Voyager is on its last legs (airs at 3:00 am three nights a week and is normally preempted).

B5 is available on AOL TV. I think they have exclusive rights to it.
Old January 31 2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Orintho
Vice Admiral

They do cost, but you got to spend money to make it sometimes. Spike had Trek but buried in late night oblivion. These shows need to run at a better time to hit the target audience.
Old February 1 2009, 12:00 AM   #9
cylkoth
Commodore

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ Because they're incredibly expensive.

Spike is dropping Trek from their schedules. TNG left last year,
And Sci Fi picked it up. They replaced ENT Mondays with it during mid summer before they slotted Lost reruns there in the fall, now TNG appears to be replacing it-the network Feb schedule has it every Monday, with Lost bumped to 2 hrs on Tuesdays.
Maybe with Spike's contract (possibly?) expired, they can pick up DS9 too.

But they'd probably treat it as shabbily as they treat most everything else we love, and give us even more to whine about.
Old February 1 2009, 12:39 AM   #10
nx1701g
Admiral

^ But they don't appear to be keeping TNG with its return to syndication.
Old February 1 2009, 03:07 AM   #11
chrisspringob
Commodore

For me the "good ole days" were from 1995-1997, when B5 and DS9 were both in first run syndication (that was B5's 3rd and 4th season and DS9's 4th and 5th).

Those were also my freshman and sophomore years of college. I was away at college in Minneapolis, and the local affiliate there showed DS9 on Thursday night at 7pm, followed by B5 at 8pm. This was up against NBC's Thursday night lineup, which featured shows such as Friends and Seinfeld. The bulk of the TV viewers in the dorm I lived in wanted to watch NBC. But there were multiple TV lounges, and a group of us sci-fi geeks would squat at one of the TV lounges at least 20 minutes beforehand, and claim that one as our own, then settle in for two hours of sci-fi goodness.

Man, that was an awesome time for SF TV.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 03:43 AM   #12
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

I remember when Babylon 5 was reduced to the wee hours of the morning time slot, and I, being an unemployed insomniac at the time, would watch the damn show.

Those were the days.

I remember a Houston UPN station showing the first run DS9 episodes right after Voyager. IT WAS TREK-TACULAR.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 04:19 AM   #13
Aquehonga
Fleet Captain

Location: nuSpringville Transbus Hub: there be Yukon deers on them buses!

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
I remember when Babylon 5 was reduced to the wee hours of the morning time slot
Yeah! I think it was 6:am in my TV market Something ludicrous like that. TNT

That was some serious horsehockey
Aquehonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 04:54 AM   #14
chrisspringob
Commodore

Aquehonga wrote: View Post
MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
I remember when Babylon 5 was reduced to the wee hours of the morning time slot
Yeah! I think it was 6:am in my TV market Something ludicrous like that. TNT
TNT did move it to 6am at one point, but that was when they were showing it in reruns a couple of years after the series had ended its original run. And that was the nationwide timeslot, not a market-by-market thing.

What MJP *might* be referring to is the crazy scheduling that took place during the show's original run, before the TNT days. In B5's first run, the show was only picked up by TNT in the 5th season. Seasons 1-4 were in first run syndication, same situation as TNG and DS9 had. First run syndication means that individual TV stations around the country buy the broadcast rights to the show, and show it in whatever timeslot they like.

Like I said before, during Seasons 3-4, I was lucky enough to be living in Minneapolis, where the show was on Thursday nights at 8pm, a very reasonable hour. But lots of other markets had the show on at completely crazy times. I was living in Milwaukee during Seasons 1-2, and I think for most of that time, it was on at like 11:30pm on Saturday night, or something like that.

The worst was the Final Four episodes of Season 4, which had been held for months after the rest of Season 4 aired, but months before Season 5 was to start up on TNT. Stations were dumping those eps at crazy times like 1am. Some stations dropped the show completely, and people living in those markets had no way of watching those four episodes. Must have royally sucked for them.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 04:57 AM   #15
Mr Light
Admiral

I started watching B5 halfway through the fourth season (unfortunately after the good stuff had already happened). It aired Saturday nights prime-time. But when the final four of S4 came around, it was airing at 5am on a Monday or something like that! I actually missed the S4 finale because they only aired it once and never reran it like they normally did, I had to wait a year or so for it to come around on the TNT strip.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote