Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 30 2009, 06:29 PM   #1
cybersoldier
Commander

TNG remastered

With Star Trek remastered coming soon to blu-ray next year and the new Trek film and TNG going back to syndication. When do you think TNG will start getting the remastered treatment?
cybersoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2009, 10:38 PM   #2
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Re: TNG remastered

I think TNG's effects are perfectly fine as they are. Yes, they're not the CGI 'masterpieces' of today, but they're still high-quality work - I think a lot of what they did with pratical models matches what we do with the CGI ones.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Josh Kelton
Lieutenant

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
I think TNG's effects are perfectly fine as they are.
And the fact they've said it would be more difficult than TOS since effects were done on video, rather than film.
Josh Kelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2009, 11:16 PM   #4
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Josh Kelton wrote: View Post
And the fact they've said it would be more difficult than TOS since effects were done on video, rather than film.
Worse...the OUTPUT was to video, meaning the film masters of the LA footage are also gone.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2009, 01:17 AM   #5
trevanian
Rear Admiral

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Worse...the OUTPUT was to video, meaning the film masters of the LA footage are also gone.
They should have been archived, tossing the live-action makes no sense, but then again this is Paramount, who wouldn't pay to keep the vfx elements from TMP so they all got tossed from EEG and Apogee in the early 80s.

I'd figure the live-action film elements would have been archived along with the miniature film elements, but again ... this is paramount.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2009, 05:29 AM   #6
Lyon_Wonder
Commander

trevanian wrote: View Post
darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post

They should have been archived, tossing the live-action makes no sense, but then again this is Paramount, who wouldn't pay to keep the vfx elements from TMP so they all got tossed from EEG and Apogee in the early 80s.

I'd figure the live-action film elements would have been archived along with the miniature film elements, but again ... this is paramount.
At least they aren't like what BBC did to their film archives in the 60s and 70s.
Lyon_Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Dukhat
Commodore

It is extremely unlikely that TNG is going to be remastered. They've already stated that the costs to have it done would far outweigh the returns, so it's not viable for them to do it. And quite frankly, there's only a few TNG episodes that it would benefit from anyway, so there's no point in doing it to begin with.
Old January 31 2009, 06:15 AM   #8
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

I think TNG's effects are perfectly fine as they are. Yes, they're not the CGI 'masterpieces' of today, but they're still high-quality work - I think a lot of what they did with pratical models matches what we do with the CGI ones.
Exactly. I think films are relying on CGI way to much nowadays. CGI is good for say, Disney films or any other kind of anime films, but I wish they would use more "real" effects like they used to back in the day instead of using CGI. With CGI, a lot of times you can tell the scene or object is fake. With some real effects, at least in modern times, some things look more real in a movie when it is a prop or some other type of special effects.
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 01:14 AM   #9
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

I see no compelling reason to do a TNG remastered, at least not the kind of thing where you actually re-do shots or effects. Perhaps at some point a total cleanup and revitalization of the prints or whatever but ... content wise, it stand up perfectly well 98% of the time.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 07:02 AM   #10
cybersoldier
Commander

Dukhat wrote: View Post
It is extremely unlikely that TNG is going to be remastered. They've already stated that the costs to have it done would far outweigh the returns, so it's not viable for them to do it. And quite frankly, there's only a few TNG episodes that it would benefit from anyway, so there's no point in doing it to begin with.
Agree, I would like perhaps a remastered version with Cause and Effect, Best of Both Worlds, Q who? Aquiel- the alien at the end. If I say the only if I had to choose to redo would just be the ship shots at least the ones with ship to ship battles. I love TNG, I would just hate to see this series no to get the same or similar treatment like TOS
Old February 1 2009, 06:30 PM   #11
flightmech73
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to flightmech73 Send a message via Yahoo to flightmech73

darkshadow0001 wrote: View Post
Exactly. I think films are relying on CGI way to much nowadays. CGI is good for say, Disney films or any other kind of anime films, but I wish they would use more "real" effects like they used to back in the day instead of using CGI. With CGI, a lot of times you can tell the scene or object is fake. With some real effects, at least in modern times, some things look more real in a movie when it is a prop or some other type of special effects.
I agree completely. I think half the reason I couldn't get into Babylon 5 is the cheezie CG. When the ships blew up there were smooth shapes slowly moving around in an unnatural way. When you use a real model with real explosives It brings it to life. Like when the Ent. D was stuck in time reliving Dr Frasier Cranes miranda class hitting the nessel then blowing up. Man ya cant CG that any better. It was perfect.
flightmech73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Dukhat
Commodore

cybersoldier wrote: View Post
Dukhat wrote: View Post
Agree, I would like perhaps a remastered version with Cause and Effect, Best of Both Worlds, Q who? Aquiel- the alien at the end. If I say the only if I had to choose to redo would just be the ship shots at least the ones with ship to ship battles. I love TNG, I would just hate to see this series no to get the same or similar treatment like TOS
There are only three episodes I'd like to see remastered: BoBW, Unification, and Redemption, because those were the episodes that had the most amount of ships in a scene. I could care less about anything else.
Old February 1 2009, 07:23 PM   #13
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

I don't see any reason to remaster TNG...

I'd rather see the money go into re-vizing/remastering the effects in Star Trek V -- under Shatner's supervision.
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2009, 12:29 AM   #14
cybersoldier
Commander

QuasarVM wrote: View Post

I'd rather see the money go into re-vizing/remastering the effects in Star Trek V -- under Shatner's supervision.
Insurrection's sfx have a better shot of being redone, Star Trek V, shatner wanted to do a lot and with the reboot, I doubt it would happen with either, but it might be interesting to see to see how it would look if shatner got to the money to do what he wanted. The question would be if he doesn't go over budget again.
Old February 2 2009, 12:47 AM   #15
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

cybersoldier wrote: View Post
QuasarVM wrote: View Post

Insurrection's sfx have a better shot of being redone, Star Trek V, shatner wanted to do a lot and with the reboot, I doubt it would happen with either, but it might be interesting to see to see how it would look if shatner got to the money to do what he wanted. The question would be if he doesn't go over budget again.

It would require a much bigger budget than TMP did...simply because -- IMHO -- EVERY shot would have to be replaced and the rockman sequence would have to be created...
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote