Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 28 2009, 03:59 PM   #136
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: A Singular Destiny review thread (possible spoilers)

Aaron McGuire wrote: View Post
I just finished the book (ok I finished it three days ago) and I loved it. Nice set up for the political changes going on in the trek universe.
Thanks!

But I have to ask: What species are the individuals H'a'e'd't'd'o'i'r and B'w'e'd'l'e'r (as well as other similarly named beings that show up in the book) supposed to be?
A species I haven't gotten around to naming yet. I've used that naming convention elsewhere. Really do need to name those buggers.............................

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 04:04 PM   #137
LightningStorm
The Borg King

Aaron McGuire wrote: View Post
But I have to ask: What species are the individuals H'a'e'd't'd'o'i'r and B'w'e'd'l'e'r (as well as other similarly named beings that show up in the book) supposed to be?
In addition to that question, I was wondering a couple of things. How are they pronounced. I know the apostrophes are stops and such but if we were to force them into an English pronunciation what would they sound like? Reason I ask is because they both appear (to me) like somewhat joke type names because I see them as "head into door" and "bewilder." But, maybe I was feeling wacky at the time I read them.
Old January 28 2009, 04:13 PM   #138
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

KRAD wrote: View Post
A species I haven't gotten around to naming yet. I've used that naming convention elsewhere. Really do need to name those buggers.............................
I had assumed that they were Hamalki. Though I guess we never saw a Hamalki whose name had vowels in it. (Actually, were there any named Hamalki beyond K't'lk/K's't'lk?)

It also occurs to me that the name fits Xenexian conventions, as in M'k'n'zy of Calhoun. (Though no other Xenexian ever seemed to need that many glottal stops. No wonder he changed his name to "Mackenzie".)
Old January 28 2009, 04:44 PM   #139
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

I haven't run the idea past Diane Duane just yet, but surely Hamalki have their own ethnic group-equivalents with their own naming practices? And Peter David could confirm/debunk for Xenexians on the same question, right?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 05:03 PM   #140
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Curse you, KRAD, and your increasingly evil laugh!
Why? He's pretty much confirmed that the issue in question isn't as dire as it seems at all.
Old January 28 2009, 05:24 PM   #141
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
I haven't run the idea past Diane Duane just yet, but surely Hamalki have their own ethnic group-equivalents with their own naming practices? And Peter David could confirm/debunk for Xenexians on the same question, right?
This would suggest that alien races can have multiple ethnic groups, which is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.
Old January 28 2009, 07:37 PM   #142
Aaron McGuire
Fleet Captain

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
DEWLine wrote: View Post
This would suggest that alien races can have multiple ethnic groups, which is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard.
Next they'll try to tell us that these species have different languages too. Preposterous.

Aaron McGuire
Aaron McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 08:23 PM   #143
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

^ And different haircuts....

Old January 28 2009, 08:36 PM   #144
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

KRAD - Thanks for the good read. A good set-up for what seems to be coming next in the ST universe.

Like Sonek Pran and hope we get to see more of him again. Once I read your acknowledgements in the back of the book and saw that you had originally intended to dedicate the book to Arlo Guthrie, the resemblence between him and Pran struck me. How much did you base this character on Guthrie? Or am I just imagining the similarity?
Old January 28 2009, 08:57 PM   #145
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

Mysterion wrote: View Post
KRAD - Thanks for the good read. A good set-up for what seems to be coming next in the ST universe.
Thanks so much!

Like Sonek Pran and hope we get to see more of him again. Once I read your acknowledgements in the back of the book and saw that you had originally intended to dedicate the book to Arlo Guthrie, the resemblence between him and Pran struck me. How much did you base this character on Guthrie? Or am I just imagining the similarity?
You're not imagining anything. Pran is very much inspired, physically, philosophically, and conversationally, by Arlo, who has long been one of my heroes. (And who is also a Star Trek fan, incidentally.)

Old January 28 2009, 09:10 PM   #146
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

^^^^^
Spiffy! Thanks again.

Good to know I'm not (totally) nuts. Soon as Pran had a banjo I had "Motorcycle (Significance of the Pickle) Song" stuck in my head.
Old January 29 2009, 02:47 AM   #147
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

William Leisner wrote: View Post
ClayinCA wrote: View Post
This may be a bad sign...

I noticed that Borders' website page for A Singular Destiny lists the book as "available online only." This is separate from its status as a pre-order, so it looks as though the book, even when it comes out, will not be sold at Borders B&M stores (further ensuring that I won't be shopping at Borders for much longer).
I don't know what Borders thinks they're doing. This was the same message they had for Errand of Fury Book 3, and it doesn't seem like they intend to carry Shards and Shadows in store, either. Not putting new releases into their stores (even if its just the less mainstream titles that are being sacrificed) hardly seems to be the way to bring customers in.

I know this is a bit late in the conversation but that doesn't surprise me. There was only one copy of ASD at the one I went to here in the Twin Cities (rosedale mall location to any fellow Minnesotans) and the amount of Trek books was small, twenty tops.
Old January 29 2009, 12:14 PM   #148
Nutcase
Ensign

My copy of this finally arrived into the UK yesterday and I've just finished it... and what a great read! It sets the ground for the subsequent novels perfectly, I can't wait to find out what happens next, and Pran was such a great central character. It was also great to hear some more of the Aventine's adventures, and the names of the ship's shuttles was a lovely touch. Equally lovely was the appearences of a certain ancient human Admiral... when he was first hinted at I thought to myself... could it be? And I was right, fantastic! Some great touches throughout the book - not least the list of the dead - I was zipping through it thinking that there was bound to be a well-known name or two 'hidden' in here somewhere... and it makes me very curious about some of the Trek books out later this year...

Overall, a fantastic read! Now I need to get my hands on your new Farscape comic series, since I've just finished watching the whole of that series in order, and can't wait to see what happens next there...
Nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2009, 03:38 PM   #149
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

Nutcase wrote: View Post
My copy of this finally arrived into the UK yesterday and I've just finished it... and what a great read!
Thanks so very much!

and the names of the ship's shuttles was a lovely touch.
It struck me and Marco both as being 100% in character for Dax.

Overall, a fantastic read! Now I need to get my hands on your new Farscape comic series, since I've just finished watching the whole of that series in order, and can't wait to see what happens next there...
The first issue is sold out, but it's being reprinted on 4 February, which is also when #2 will hit the stands, so haunt your local comic shop next Wednesday....

Old January 29 2009, 06:24 PM   #150
Nutcase
Ensign

One other thing too - what I particularly loved also (far too many things in total!) was how the 'threat' facing the Federation was in fact another alliance of species/planets. It makes it impossible for the reader to second-guess what on earth will happen next, which makes the excitement for the future books build further. In contrast, had the threat simply been those species building some sort of new superweapon, for example, the reader would guess that eventually the storyline would focus on it's destruction by the Federation (or at least their attempts to do so).

OK, maybe the new alliance will eventually build a new superweapon, which the Federation will have to destroy by firing a transphasic torpedo down its exhaust port just before it becomes operational (where have I heard a similar plan to that before...) but that simply hasn't been hinted at by the authors yet
Nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote