Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 28 2009, 11:05 PM   #76
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ms. Marvel - SPOILERS

Is her death a response to poor sales on her book?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 11:12 PM   #77
Hermiod
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Is her death a response to poor sales on her book?
I have no idea how well her book sells or any interest.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 11:26 PM   #78
matthunter
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
How much shit is Carol going to get from the rest of the new Averngers when she shows up with her tail between her legs at Bucky's pad?

"Sorry for spending the last 6 months hunting y'all like dogs."
The way Marvel's going at the moment, I'd give it five minutes before she and a male New Avenger act upon their long-unspoken lust for each other and all is forgiven.

Look how quickly She-Hulk went from boffing Stark to beating the crap outta him (before getting a dose of S.P.I.N. tech...)

And, yeah, I know... it's She-Hulk... but c'mon. Clint Barton's only been restored to life for... how long? And he's had more tail than I've gotten in 10 years. These characters are horn-dogs.
If you're frustrated with a smug, arrogant right-wing nutjob poster who never backs up their arguments and twists out of answering straight questions, try the Ignore feature! Now with raspberry filling.
matthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 11:32 PM   #79
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

How serious is her thing with Simon?

Old January 28 2009, 11:50 PM   #80
goblin9
Ensign

Ms. Marvel book does not sell very good. Diamond (the selling for retailers in the US) puts the book in the 30000 copies area with a steady slow decline.

the books of 20000 and below are those which usually get canceled.

The reason for the titular character change is definitely about boosting sales during Dark Reign. But this does not mean the slaughtering of Carol, just a temporary change in direction, like all Dark Reign titles.

Now, Hermiod - just think about it. If the reason for not putting a funeral issue is "People do not care enough", do you really think they would publish one-shots like "Ms. Marvel - Storyteller"? A funeral one-shot would sell better for sure. Esp. if you can put "Dark Reign" tag on the cover.

Also, people care more about Wasp in "Mighty Avengers" than about Carol Danvers in "Ms. Marvel"? She really isn't some random character.

Carol Danvers just joined the New Avengers. She appeared in 48 and 49 and on the cover of 50. Bendis announced in an interview, the same day Brian Reed tried to market the death of Carol Danvers, that Carol will be a big part in New Avengers.

As for the Simon thing, I read somewhere that Bendis mentioning Wonder Man to appear in New Avengers 51. Also, I clearly remember Reed answering in his board to Wonder Man fan, that Wonder Man will appear in the Avengers and will continue a plot started in Ms. Marvel (The only plot he got there was romance with Carol).
goblin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2009, 12:06 AM   #81
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I mean seriously did anyone give a poop about Mar-Vel before he died in that Jim Starlin masterpiece The Death of Captain Marvel? His death made him.

Old January 29 2009, 12:25 AM   #82
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
All I can do at this point is shake my head and laugh. Obviously, it's Quesada's mission in life for nuMarvel to beat out nuBSG and All-Star Batman as the most juvenile kewlness on the planet.

What's the problem with that in funnybooks?
Heh.

The problem, for one thing, is that even though comics are still considered a children's medium, the average age of the readers is older than it used to be (which is not entirely a good thing); so the audience should be looking for more sophisticated content. Personally, I barely bother with Marvel anymore. Secondly, it used to be that the creators behind the books were mature adults who, even if they created stories that were accessible to younger readers, wrote on a level that adults could appreciate and kids could reach for. The current crop under Joe Quesada seem like they've graduated from keying cars and spray-painting graffiti on houses to destroying the creations of greater talents who came before them. They not only lack talent and/or skill, they lack respect.
Old January 29 2009, 12:34 AM   #83
3D Master
Rear Admiral

To illustrate the horror of this: Who the F is Moonstone!? And why the F should I care one wit that she disrespectfully takes Ms Marvel's name for herself!?
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2009, 12:44 AM   #84
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

3D Master wrote: View Post
To illustrate the horror of this: Who the F is Moonstone!?
She's been around since the late 70's. Never a top tier villain, but I had more than a few old Hulk and Captain America comics with her in them.

She eventually became one of the original Thunderbolts, which was a pretty big thing in the 90's.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2009, 12:59 AM   #85
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

She spent the entire Siege at Avengers Mansion trying to wrestle control of the Masters of Evil from Baron Zemo using "psychology".

Oh, and she used to have sex with Hawkeye.

Old January 30 2009, 11:08 PM   #86
Hermiod
Admiral

I've read #35 now and I'm starting to worry that the fake-out is, in fact, a double fake-out and she's going to die despite the false identity.

And what is going on with her powers ? She punches Marvel Boy and hurts him but the dialogue (and last month's issue) make it seem like there's something odd going on.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2009, 01:24 AM   #87
Pensive
Fleet Captain

View Pensive's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Pensive Send a message via Yahoo to Pensive

matthunter wrote: View Post
Look how quickly She-Hulk went from boffing Stark to beating the crap outta him (before getting a dose of S.P.I.N. tech...)
I think that's more a reflection on Tony's boffing habits than hers.

I was a little underwhelmed with the latest Ms. Marvel ish-- put me in the camp of people who are like "Who the hell is Mar-vell/Noh-varr/Captain Marvel and why the hell does he matter and have a church"
Old January 31 2009, 02:37 AM   #88
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Church was a Skrull plot which has been annihilated.

Oh, and there was a She Hulk Doppleganger from an alternate dimension wandering around for years, so really, she never slept with Juggernaut.

Old January 31 2009, 04:20 AM   #89
JM1776
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
The current crop under Joe Quesada seem like they've graduated from keying cars and spray-painting graffiti on houses to destroying the creations of greater talents who came before them. They not only lack talent and/or skill, they lack respect.
Well and truly said.
Old February 1 2009, 12:44 AM   #90
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It hasn't happened yet. You don't lose a book and get replaced by someone skinnier, younger and blonder just because you change your name. Well, Supergirl did.

We are going to see the death of Ms. Marvel and it's going to great.