Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 26 2009, 10:33 PM   #16
Alrik
Rear Admiral

Re: 1970s Children's TOS Tunics

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
22 Stars wrote: View Post
cooleddie74;2540766
[B wrote:

DAVID SPADE?![/b]

You're a jerk, that's a great pic!
I was just joshing.

I liked it too. You should see MY pics from the mid-to-late 70s. I look like someone shrunk Luke Skywalker down to a midget with Down's Syndrome.
I'd like to think that any photographic evidence of me in the 70s had been lost in a fire somewhere, but alas, I'm sure my mother has them tucked away somewhere. Leisure Suits should have been considered child abuse.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2009, 11:44 PM   #17
Masquerade
Rear Admiral

I had the Captain's gold shirt, and the red Engineer's shirt. C.1975. Never got the Science blue, because a friend had it. I still have them, albeit in a clset at my Mom's house. They are each about as big as my hands held together.

It's funny you mention this. I was thinking about them the other day as I was browsing these.
Old January 27 2009, 08:04 AM   #18
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

plynch wrote: View Post
You have solved one of the mysteries of my life! Thanks a lot.

(Now if I could only see a picture of a 1969 flat, stuffed, Mattell pillow with a pull-string. It was a psychedelic dog - painted like the owl in the Tootsie Pop commercial and it said things like, "You'd cry too if you were painted blue," and, "Nobody loves me." Must have been when acid first infiltrated the toy-making ranks. It existed - I'd just like to see a picture.)
I'VE STILL GOT MINE!! The string broke a long time ago, but I've still got the poor thing. I'll get a pic the next time I dig into the storage unit.

Oh, and I also had one of those shirts. Kinda wish I'd gotten the long sleeve one, but at the time, I opted for the short sleeve because the long sleeve had ribbed cuffs, like the collar, which I knew was inaccurate, and no rank stripes. It wasn't until they were off the market that it dawned on me that it'd be a simple matter to fix the cuffs.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 05:31 PM   #19
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
You have solved one of the mysteries of my life! Thanks a lot.

(Now if I could only see a picture of a 1969 flat, stuffed, Mattell pillow with a pull-string. It was a psychedelic dog - painted like the owl in the Tootsie Pop commercial and it said things like, "You'd cry too if you were painted blue," and, "Nobody loves me." Must have been when acid first infiltrated the toy-making ranks. It existed - I'd just like to see a picture.)
I'VE STILL GOT MINE!! The string broke a long time ago, but I've still got the poor thing. I'll get a pic the next time I dig into the storage unit.

Oh, and I also had one of those shirts. Kinda wish I'd gotten the long sleeve one, but at the time, I opted for the short sleeve because the long sleeve had ribbed cuffs, like the collar, which I knew was inaccurate, and no rank stripes. It wasn't until they were off the market that it dawned on me that it'd be a simple matter to fix the cuffs.
Is that (the depressed dog, "Puppy Patter") NOT one of the strangest toys evah? A depressed, psychedelic dog. Wow. I'm glad you still have yours. There are Mattell collectors out there. Thanks for the reply on this non-Trek sideline. Although, I CAN kinda picture him in "The Way to Eden."

"Steppin in to Eden. Yea, brother. You'd cry too, if you were painted blue, Herbert."
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 09:35 PM   #20
Doomsday
Lieutenant Commander

Sometime in the late 70's, I ordered a pattern from the Lincoln Enterprises mail order catalog, along with the Command Insignia patch. Then, my girlfriend(who is now my wife)'s mother made it from the pattern. We were actually able to find the rank braiding in the fabric store, and it looks exactly like what they used on the show. I wore it for a Halloween party. Because it was based on a so-called "official" pattern, and we were careful to buy the correct fabric, it looked very authentic, even though it's homemade. I just wore it with black slacks and black boots. I also had the AMT exploration set, phaser/tricorder/communicator, and brought that to the party as well.

I have no actual pics from that party, but I still have the tunic. Although, I doubt I could fit in it now.

Years later, my wife bought the first season TNG uniform pattern at a fabric store, and made one for me and my son(who was 8 at the time) and we both wore them when I took him out for trick-or-treat.

I still have both, but alas, probably cannot wear them, due to midlife expansion.
Old January 27 2009, 10:41 PM   #21
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

Old store-bought TOS shirts were so much cooler looking than TNG costumes. Simpler to sew/make, and usually more colorful with bigger insignias whether sewn or ironed on.
Old January 27 2009, 11:22 PM   #22
22 Stars
Commodore

cooleddie74;2540766
[B wrote:

DAVID SPADE?![/b]

I was just joshing.

I liked it too. You should see MY pics from the mid-to-late 70s. I look like someone shrunk Luke Skywalker down to a midget with Down's Syndrome.
lol oh, ok. sorry man.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 11:31 PM   #23
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I was just joshing.

lol oh, ok. sorry man.
We are children of the 1970s. Looking dorky was a legal requirement.
Old January 28 2009, 12:18 AM   #24
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

Hey, man, I know my pic is dorky, but David Spade? That was a pretty low blow.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 12:21 AM   #25
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

ToddPence wrote: View Post
Hey, man, I know my pic is dorky, but David Spade? That was a pretty low blow.

I have my low moments. Ask anyone who got their blood tests back.
Old January 28 2009, 06:40 AM   #26
Super Grover
Vice Admiral

I remember being in the cloth store with my mom, and I saw a star Trek Butterick pattern.
Bobby "Oh, you mean like Chlamydia?"
Super Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 07:28 PM   #27
Tan Ru
Captain

Here's me in mine, circa 1976:

Yeah, but the blue science tunic while sporting Chekov's famous hair?? What's the deal dude?

I'm just joshin' ya too. Hey, my school pics from 70's make me look like a blond Bobby Brady. I have nothing Trek related though... (darn it!)
Old January 28 2009, 10:02 PM   #28
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Tan Ru wrote: View Post
Here's me in mine, circa 1976:

Yeah, but the blue science tunic while sporting Chekov's famous hair?? What's the deal dude?

I'm just joshin' ya too. Hey, my school pics from 70's make me look like a blond Bobby Brady. I have nothing Trek related though... (darn it!)
You should see a photo of me from 1976 or '77 when I was in my terrible twos. I had a TODDLER LEISURE JACKET on.

I'm feeling much better now.
Old January 29 2009, 09:00 AM   #29
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Even at that age, the command insignia on the blue shirt caught my attention.

After all, I not only had the Starfleet Tech Manual, but one of those jackets from that AMT offer.

Now if only I could locate that school picture...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2009, 09:55 PM   #30
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

When I was that age, I had several TREK books like the TECHNICAL MANUAL...and was starting to collect the Fotonovel adaptations of a dozen of the original episodes. They used to sell them for 99 cents a pop at Rose's department stores near the lunch counters.