Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old October 31 2008, 07:20 PM   #61
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson
Re: ST:TOS - General Fanfic

So, sell me. ::pokes:: Who are they? I've managed to read through two posted stories here; what's up with yours? LOL! And will it take me months to read 'em all?
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2008, 08:25 PM   #62
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

SLWatson wrote: View Post
So, sell me. :okes:: Who are they? I've managed to read through two posted stories here; what's up with yours? LOL! And will it take me months to read 'em all?
Normally, I'd PM you with the info, but as you're not able to receive them yet:
http://fiction.hopestation.net/views...php?seriesid=6

Old October 31 2008, 09:05 PM   #63
SLWatson
Captain

This'll apparently be my fifty-first post. So, if it lets me PM and that, I'll let you know some of my thoughts about Embers of the Fire here soon, I hope.
Old November 4 2008, 09:32 PM   #64
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I liked the fluffy piece and the grim one. I'd keep fiddling with that one-you are right to not be satisfied-I got the feeling thier was s'posed to be something else involved but not sure what-something about friendship making the load easier to bear, maybe......Hmmmmm..... which isn't to say it isn't good-it is.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2008, 09:36 PM   #65
SLWatson
Captain

Mistral wrote: View Post
I liked the fluffy piece and the grim one. I'd keep fiddling with that one-you are right to not be satisfied-I got the feeling thier was s'posed to be something else involved but not sure what-something about friendship making the load easier to bear, maybe......Hmmmmm..... which isn't to say it isn't good-it is.
Thank you! And yeah, I noticed that too, but despite going over it obsessively a dozen times, couldn't find exactly what it was throwing me off. Still, it was good enough to pass inspection, and hopefully the answer will someday come to me; it's not one of my priority pieces, but maybe I'll be able to figure it out in time.
Old January 21 2009, 07:12 AM   #66
SLWatson
Captain

Title: Mothers
Series: ST:TOS, General
Rating: G
Characters: Winona, Amanda
Disclaimer: They're all Paramount's, not mine.
Archive/Repost: Sure, just lemme know where.
Notes: Prompted by Anna Amuse, off of the word 'carriage' and it turned out coherent enough to post. Winona Kirk, holding her eight-month-old son at a diplomatic function of some sort, gets to share a moment of motherhood with Amanda, long before that's significant.

--

The ceremonies were over, and the reception was in full swing. Winona stayed on the sidelines; she would have probably gone into the fray, just to be near George, but with Jimmy in her arms it was nearly impossible. At times like this, she wished she'd brought a carriage, or even a stroller.

It was a beautiful night, though. Warm, even a little humid, with the smell of the gardens close at hand and filling the air with a sweet scent that made her nostalgic for the wildflowers she used to collect as a child.

She knew George would be over just as soon as he managed to disengage himself from the people who all wanted a piece of him right now. In the meantime, she could wait.

"It's a beautiful night," a woman's voice said, and Winona turned her head to find the speaker. She was a slim, pretty woman; dark hair, blue eyes.

"Yes, it is," Winona replied, with a smile, looking back out into the darkness. "Are you here with someone?"

"I am," the woman said, then took a deep breath of the night air. "How old?" she asked, a question that mothers nearly always asked that way. People without children tended to ask, "How old is your son?" But mothers always seemed to only ask, "How old?" and other mothers recognized it.

"Eight months." Winona smiled proudly. Jimmy had been quiet all evening, wide-eyed and awed by everything. Likewise, though, he was at the age where he was perfectly content observing it all from his mother's arms.

The woman nodded, and her expression when Winona looked back at her was warm and genuine. "What's his name?"

"James." There was a brief pause, then Winona had to chuckle. "A very heavy James right now."

The woman's smile turned sympathetic, and Winona was even more certain then that she was a mother. "May I?"

It was up in the air whether or not Jimmy would be willing to nestle into someone else's arms for a few minutes to give hers a break, but Winona nodded and offered the baby over. And he went willingly enough, though he stared at the woman's face intently, maybe a little warily.

"Hello there, James," the woman said, holding him as if it were second nature. After a few moments of pondering on the situation carefully, Jimmy offered a smile back. With babies, it was all or nothing -- he went from curiosity to a wide grin, then right back to curiosity, all in a moment.

Winona appreciated the break, and let her arms rest at her side for a moment, watching the interchange. There was a brief look of something... almost like sorrow, on the woman's face for the briefest of moments. "My name's Winona," she offered.

The woman looked up from where she was making faces at Jimmy, obviously not caring that she looked silly. Definitely a Mom. "A pleasure. I'm Amanda."

"How old?" Winona asked.

"Too old to hold like this," Amanda replied, cradling James a little closer as he carefully started picking at the simple necklace she was wearing. And Winona understood that look; Sam was now the same way. "He's three now. I can pick him up, but it doesn't seem he's nearly so willing as he was at this age."

Winona had no reply to that; she just nodded. There was no doubting she sympathized.

There was a call towards Amanda from inside, and she looked over at Winona apologetically. "Time to go back to the socializing. But thank you."

Winona carefully took Jimmy back, chuckling, "I should be thanking you. My arms needed a little rest."

"No... no, it was my pleasure." Amanda smiled again, this time at Jimmy, and was rewarded with a smile back. And then, with one more look to Winona, a look shared between mothers, she went back inside.

Winona watched her go, then turned back to look back out at the night, holding her son.

Maybe she didn't need a carriage afterall.
Old January 21 2009, 12:11 PM   #67
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

This is really good. I enjoyed it.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2009, 07:36 PM   #68
SLWatson
Captain

USS Fardell wrote: View Post
This is really good. I enjoyed it.
Thanks!
Old January 23 2009, 09:59 PM   #69
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Sweet. My boy doesn't like being cuddled so much anymore, either. Except when he's tired...

Old January 23 2009, 10:15 PM   #70
SLWatson
Captain

Sweet. My boy doesn't like being cuddled so much anymore, either. Except when he's tired...
My oldest doesn't anymore, but my youngest still does. Thanks!
Old January 24 2009, 01:24 AM   #71
trampledamage
Clone

Just read all the stories - wonderful little scenes. What I enjoy about your writing is also what I like about LA Graf's novels (and it's wonderful that you've taken their depiction of Sulu, he's a much more rounded character than Sulu usually gets to be) - and that's the description of the every-day life.

With created universes like Trek what really makes it work for me is the description of what happens in the down-time, when the crew aren't saving the universe. You write those moments - and I love it!

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 01:27 AM   #72
SLWatson
Captain

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Just read all the stories - wonderful little scenes. What I enjoy about your writing is also what I like about LA Graf's novels (and it's wonderful that you've taken their depiction of Sulu, he's a much more rounded character than Sulu usually gets to be) - and that's the description of the every-day life.

With created universes like Trek what really makes it work for me is the description of what happens in the down-time, when the crew aren't saving the universe. You write those moments - and I love it!
Thanks so much! Yes, I really like L.A. Graf novels too, mostly. There's a heavy Chekov lean, but mostly the characters are treated as being more like being living and breathing people than the rest of the authors manage.
Old January 27 2009, 09:32 PM   #73
Mistral
Vice Admiral

SLWatson wrote: View Post
trampledamage wrote: View Post

Thanks so much! Yes, I really like L.A. Graf novels too, mostly. There's a heavy Chekov lean, but mostly the characters are treated as being more like being living and breathing people than the rest of the authors manage.
Oooohh! What you said! Don't let that get back to Dayton Ward! He's got a tongue like a razor!

Old January 27 2009, 09:46 PM   #74
SLWatson
Captain

Oooohh! What you said! Don't let that get back to Dayton Ward! He's got a tongue like a razor!
Oh? Do tell. ::grins::
Old January 27 2009, 09:48 PM   #75
Mistral
Vice Admiral

You shoulda seen the terrible things he said to me after I invited all of the published authors over on the Trek Lit Forum over to his house for New Years Eve!