Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 27 2009, 05:55 AM   #61
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: Welling: Why no Superman?

^ I think that they selected him because of the look. Welling looked more like Superman back when Smallville began and was a bit more unknown (Ackles had been on Dawson's Creek).
Old January 27 2009, 06:04 AM   #62
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Eh, I'd say it worked out pretty well for him in the end. Dean is a far more rewarding and challenging character than Smallville's Clark has been or ever will be.
Can't argue with that. Dean admitting that he'd enjoyed torturing the other souls in hell after he finally got off the carving rack? Wowza. Don't think Welling would have quite been up to that, but he has more of a Superman/Clark Kent "look," I grant you that.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 06:59 AM   #63
jbny67
Commander

A few years ago, when I was already saying a lot of the things being said in this thread, I started watching the show with a different mindset.
It takes place in an alternate universe. One where Superman as we have known him does not exist. Sort of the modern day Bizarro World. In this case, it could be called Angst World.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 07:00 AM   #64
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

jbny67 wrote: View Post
A few years ago, when I was already saying a lot of the things being said in this thread, I started watching the show with a different mindset.
It takes place in an alternate universe. One where Superman as we have known him does not exist. Sort of the modern day Bizarro World. In this case, it could be called Angst World.
Better known as The WB Universe.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 07:25 AM   #65
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Tom Welling is a hard person to figure out.

Beyond everything already said about his reluctance to play Superman he is a recluse. He rarely gives interviews or makes appearances related to the show. When there are charity events with the cast he is usually the one no-show.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 01:37 PM   #66
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Aragorn wrote: View Post
That Welling is a control freak when it comes to his wardrobe but is a total yes man when it comes to all the crappy scripts says it all.
Welling is the same as 99% of all actors, he takes the advice of his agent. Actors act, they don't generally know shit managing careers or quality of scripts, so they hire professionals.

If the directors had a problem with it they could/would have negotiated with his agent. For example, if they truly felt wearing the suit or glasses would harm his future prospects, then pay him a significant bonus to compensate. Or completely refute the theory with evidence. But they just accepted it because that wasn't where they were going with the show anyway.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 01:12 AM   #67
TGTheodore
Writer

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Welling is the same as 99% of all actors, he takes the advice of his agent. Actors act, they don't generally know shit managing careers or quality of scripts, so they hire professionals.
Oh, puh-LEEZE. What a steamy load ...

--Ted
Old January 28 2009, 01:17 AM   #68
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Agents know more about script quality than actors?
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 02:23 AM   #69
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

TGTheodore wrote: View Post
LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Oh, puh-LEEZE. What a steamy load ...

--Ted
You know, I'll be the first to say I over simplified that for the sake of brief post.

But maybe you could open up a little and tell me why you think that instead of just mouthing off?

Meanwhile, a very very very tiny percentage of actors have vetos over scripts or are allowed to rewrite their own material. When Welling started out and was signing his contract he wasn't in that league. He's not in that league now. He's not a writer. He may be a good reader, in the sense that he looks into what he's reading and considerers the source material, but we don't know that. A good actor follows direction.

Actors don't manage their own careers when they start out, and very rarely when they are experienced. Welling didn't write his first contract, he didn't write in his vetos, and he had no huge negotiating power. His agent did the work he was paid to do.

The studio and producers of Smallville had all the power to refuse Welling and his agent when they wanted that stipulation, the fact is they were going that direction anyway. If they weren't then they wouldn't have agreed.

If you think that's a pile of steaming shit, you're welcome to explain why.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 06:32 PM   #70
TGTheodore
Writer

I'm commenting on your blanket comment about actors. NOT the Welling situation.

And since you proposed the comment, you please give specific examples of these 99% brain-dead actors of which you speak. (And tabloids don't count as reference materials)

But I've got to tell you, you seem way too smart to buy into the lazy perception that actors are stupid and don't know anything about issues.

--Ted

Last edited by TGTheodore; January 28 2009 at 06:48 PM.
TGTheodore is offline   Reply With Quote