Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 27 2009, 12:34 AM   #16
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

Re: what is your favorite class of starship and y

For me as the name implies I really dig the Miranda class vessels. The Wrath of Khan was my first experience of Star Trek and I loved it. The Connie was the hero ship and fantastic but the Reliant seemed rugged and compact and the fact it went toe to toe with the flagship says something about it. Later usages of the ship also implied it as being a tough little ship - outfitted as the Souyez class etc and serving on the border etc.

But these two designs the Connie and Miranda have inspired much of the rest - The Galaxy and Nebula borne of them for example. But also like the Intrepid class and the Akira. Would love to have seen it on telly or featured more on the big screen. Really cool and powerful but seems rather practical in its function.

Of course as mentioned the Romulan's Big Green D'Bird - unfortunate that its sheer scale and size was often not conveyed on the screen. One wicked enemy to come against. Shinzon's new ship had nothing on it for meaness and impressing the enemy facing it.

The Klingon bird of prey is also one swoopy mean fighter too - Dominion war showed it kicking ass [though by the same token the DW horribly maligned the reputation of the Miranda sob]
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 02:25 AM   #17
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The original Connie and the refit Connie are tied for first place. I don't think I have to explain my decision.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 02:57 AM   #18
Autobot
Captain

Q: Favourite Starship Class and Y

Starship Class: Nebula, always seemed like a quick and nimble ship without the engineering hull section.
Y: I like the capital Y for purely aesthetic reasons, when it doesn't extend below the line you're writing on.

:P
Old January 27 2009, 06:05 AM   #19
CoveSanta
Rear Admiral

I have to give another vote for the refit Constitution as portrayed in TMP. Just an absolute work of art. It still looked good in TMP-TUC, of course, but the work of ILM in the subsequent films, as good as their people are, just never captured the beauty of the ship like the way Douglas Trumbull and his team filmed it for TMP. He really had the care for the product and an attention to detail that makes the visual effects of TMP stand up to this day. And beauty of the effects shots aside, I just like that design, inside and out. It really looks practical and functional as well as beautiful.

Beyond that, I do like the Galaxy and the Intrepid. I really am much more fond of the Intrepid than most people seem to be here. I also really like the Defiant. Really believable as a Federation warship.

The Excelsior has never particularly grown on me. Nor have most of the newer designs like the Soverign, the Akira, the NX-01, and so forth.
CoveSanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 09:04 AM   #20
judge alba
senior street judge

my favorite ship class is a toss up between the 'nx' class if a starfleet ship or the klingon bird of prey
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 11:37 AM   #21
roy sholay
Cadet

rofeta wrote: View Post
The Akira class. I like the design, it looks fast and powerful.
Yay! Someone with sense! ;p I lOVE the Akira class, but have you ever noticed it looks like the Enterprise NX01 upside down....?
roy sholay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 02:07 PM   #22
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

roy sholay wrote: View Post
rofeta wrote: View Post
The Akira class. I like the design, it looks fast and powerful.
Yay! Someone with sense! ;p I lOVE the Akira class, but have you ever noticed it looks like the Enterprise NX01 upside down....?
No, the NX-01 looks like an Akira turned upside down. Just because Enterprise was a prequel doesn't mean it came first.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 03:39 PM   #23
JayTheTrekkie
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JayTheTrekkie

Sovereign all the way! Followed by Galaxy Class, Intrepid Class, Defiant Class, Akira Class, Nebula Class, Excelsior Class, and the Ambassador Class
JayTheTrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 07:17 PM   #24
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

the Ambassador class has been my favorite fromt he first time I saw it. It's a nice progression from the Connie, just nice graceful lines. I also love the Conistitution refit, Nebula, and Defiant class ships.

I could never really put my finger on why I don't care for the Soverign, maybe because it looks slightly different in every movie, I don't know. It just doesn't look right for some reason.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 07:30 PM   #25
Captain Gandalf
Commodore

Here's another vote for the original Constitution Class.
Captain Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 08:47 PM   #26
TigerOfDarkness
Fleet Captain

I vote for the original Consitiution class as well. My only justification is that I think it looks nicest.
Old January 28 2009, 12:07 AM   #27
mirandafave
Fleet Captain

Autobot wrote: View Post
Q: Favourite Starship Class and Y

Starship Class: Nebula, always seemed like a quick and nimble ship without the engineering hull section.
Y: I like the capital Y for purely aesthetic reasons, when it doesn't extend below the line you're writing on.

:P

Sadly took me a minute to get what the heck you were on about!!
mirandafave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 12:42 AM   #28
Stewey
Rear Admiral

Lots of variety in the answers which shows that there is a ship for everyone. I'm assuming its fed ships that are being asked of so for me it would have to be the Excelsior class. To me it is a very nice evolutionary step from the constitution refit, which is my second favourite.

The refit just looks right, adapted for the then modern style without taking too much away from the original ship. To me it doesn't seem to have dated too much, I think the design could sell well today if shown for the first time. The long scene which shows off the refit in TMP is still one of my favourite scenes from the entire franchise, the way the music matches the imagry still works so well.

"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin.
Stewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 03:57 AM   #29
Autobot
Captain

mirandafave wrote: View Post

Sadly took me a minute to get what the heck you were on about!!

Old February 1 2009, 03:26 PM   #30
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

trekkerguy wrote: View Post
The non-refit Excelsior class.

It personifies Star Trek design in my opinion and has an almost majestic appearence.
I loved that design too - though the first glimpse of it in TSFS was one of the best shots. I recently watched the extras on the DVD to hear the design logic was a Japanese Starship.

More recently the Akira and NX-01 styles have appealed top me. Maybe as it was something reletavly fresh, plus the Sovereign with it's more high-tech look.

The movie era E-Refit style will always be one of the favourites too, though the Nebula and the Intrepid never really appealed to me. They both had some ugly angles - such as the beauty shot of Voyager that was throw around in it's first year. Awful.