Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 22 2009, 06:59 PM   #76
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Dark Avengers - Your thoughts

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
In a fairly spoiler filled article, Bendis explains Dark Avengers #1
I only read about half of it cause I may buy it and don't want to be totally spoiled.

I like this statement from Bendis.
Re: Villians as the Heroes
Brian Michael Bendis: Really, what the Dark Reign is about, and Dark Avengers in particular, is this idea that everyone is the hero of his own story. This is one of the mantras of recent modern fiction. Norman never sees himself as the villain. Everyone's got their own point of view.

I was riffing on this back in Goldfish. Every once in awhile I see someone refer to themselves in a comic book as a criminal, or "I'm the bad guy." They'll actually say, "I'm the bad guy." And I'm like, no one actually thinks they're a bad guy! You know? Even the sociopaths have a complete agenda. So I really wanted to explore that. Norman is the hero of his story, and everyone on his team is the hero of their story. Yes, they have vendettas, and absolutely, they want to stick it to the man and let everyone have it. But how they're doing it is through this idea of being the hero of their own story.
We've probably all heard an actor or two describe playing a villian and the villians we love are usually the ones where their prespective can be seen if not empathized with. Not sure if I can recall a time in the comics where outside of Kravens Last Hunt I've seen the bad guy try to identify with the counterpart by actually becoming him.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 06:31 AM   #77
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Thrall wrote:
He does this because he knows all of those little kids and young adults and people who like light-hearted fun, who cried at the end of The Dark Phoenix Saga or cheered when Peter and Mary Jane got married, aren't there anymore to support the company. They're all watching Dragonball Z or reading Naruto mangas. They could care less about the adult-oriented Superhero genre of comic books that 20-30 something year old Internet Geeks love. Naruto and Inuyasha are escapist fun that cater to things they want to see and read about. Spider-man and The X-Men are confusing, overbearingly adult, and involve storylines that would be better suited for episodes of Deadwood or Nip/Tuck then Stan Lee's universe.
To be fair the Manga/Anime industry is having it's own struggles namely fans who refuse to buy the DVDs thinking they're a waste of money while downloading all the shows for free off the net. Kids are going into stores and reading the mangas then put them back on the shelf without paying a dime. Also add the fact that if a title doesn't do to well it may not get finished. (who wants to buy a book with no ending?)

As for the OT the only thing that's bothered me is how Stark supposedly went through and erased all his tech data and destroyed all his previous armor models, and conveniently leaves behind a suit for Osborne to find? I'm hoping that's a plant a trap left by Tony since Iron Man armors after the first armor wars were equipped with an anti theft device which destroys the armor if somebody other than Stark puts it on or tries to copy the technology.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 06:58 PM   #78
Hermiod
Admiral

What the frak does that bitch Moonstone think she's doing in my Carol's costume ?
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 07:29 PM   #79
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
What the frak does that bitch Moonstone think she's doing in my Carol's costume ?
That doesn't look like Ms. Marvel's costume. It looks closer to Captain Marvel's to me.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 07:33 PM   #80
Hermiod
Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
That doesn't look like Ms. Marvel's costume. It looks closer to Captain Marvel's to me.
It's the original Ms. Marvel costume.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 08:25 PM   #81
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Getting out of perpetual lockdown at Thunderbolts' Mountain. As an Avenger, she gets a luxury apartment in the city, a generous stipend, and the freedom to come and go as she chooses so long as she shows up when they call her.

At least that's the way a friend explained it to me.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 09:21 PM   #82
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I think my copy of this is in black and white which is why the exposed naval seems so odd to me. Moonstone has hers covered up.

With Venom pretending to be Spider-Man, does that mean that Spider-Man is now registered and the police and capekillers and/or what ever H.A.M.M.E.R. is replacing the Cape Killers with don't no longer have dibs on Pete's ass?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; January 25 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 11:21 PM   #83
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Which isn't worn anymore.

Which means it's up for grabs.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 11:47 PM   #84
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I would have preferred that Ultra or some other teen side kick took up that costume and called themself "Miss Marvel".... (or Aunt May as Matron Marvel?).

I think it's giving her the choices of A: lead the Avengers, B: Go to Prison, or C: Run like a scurvy fugitive that has her halfway pissed off at Norman, taking her name and costume is only going to be gravey... Y'know since the public can't tell the difference, you'd have to wonder what sort of negative PR is planned to discredit these "heroes" before Norman just shuffles their costumes to... karla could make Paris Hilton look perfectly respectable if she put her mind to it and really between mac, the symbiote and Norman... Spider-Man is going to be blowing his nose on the flag while urinating on pensioners soon enough.

What's the She-Thing Ms Marvel up to these days?

Old January 26 2009, 04:31 PM   #85
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I finally sat down and read my issue last night.
Thought it was a good read but my only issue is Tony having all those suits there. You'd think that tech of that magnitude would have a type of self destruct. Either in each suit and/or in the room housing them. Tony tried to tie off loose ends over in his series and I'm just supposed to believe he forgot about this big armory of suits??

Not sure what was given to Venom/Gargan to make him morph down into a Spidey sized ratio/proportional person but why was that needed. I don't follow T-Bolts with regularity so why couldn't Gargan will the symbiote to simply appear as Spidey. Why the "drug"?

So Ares and 'Captain Marvel' are who they say. It appears Sentry is as well but who knows for sure with mr. splintered psyche.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2009, 05:20 PM   #86
DanTheGrey
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DanTheGrey

^ Exactly, or some sort of neural interface lockout or something on the suits or some other protection on it.

I just feel like Marvel has lost the plot with mega-event after mega-event. I admit I miss the even older days of the 80's with each comic having it's discrete stuff, but when there was a crossover it meant something. This "throw all your favourites in the blender and see what happens" isn't clicking with me.

And I'm also annoyed with my favourite Ultimate titles being done after/as part of Ultimatum.
Old January 26 2009, 06:20 PM   #87
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I have a very simple theory about the Sentry.

Osborn and the Void used to hang out.

Crimelording it up.

Osborn knows how to kill the Void.

(It's to do with the Hulk. If he Sentry makes him weaker, then the void will make him stronger, but no ones told that to Bob yet.)

Perhaps Osborns insanity protected him from the Sentry whiping his adventures from realities recall?