Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 14 2009, 10:14 PM   #31
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: G.I. Joe Poster

if they wanted a truly international strike team movie, they should've gone with Action Force who's line up includes Germans, Brits, a Kiwi (called Kiwi), an Arab, a Mexican, an Argentinian, an Icelander, a Belgian, a Frenchman, a Russian and several Brits and Yanks.

i'm actually giving serious thought to writing that movie and seeing if i can flog it to Working Title...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 12:36 AM   #32
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
This is an American concept that been globalized to play internationally. It is a broadening of the concept, and as such a good thing.
For other countries' audiences, but I would think you wouldn't go out of the way to piss off the audience in it's country of origin.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 06:34 AM   #33
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Most words ever.

And "The Rise of Cobra"? **gag** Of course, I'm biased, I hate "Rise of..." 's
Awww, man. Beat me to it.

Oh, well. I'll watch it for Scarlett and cool Cobra gear. Snake Eyes bores me though. If it's the Rise of Cobra, why is Snake Eyes the only thing on the poster? Fanboys. Loser fanboys is why.

EDIT: Jumping on the "International Strikeforce Bullshit"

*Checks his hundreds of GI Joe figs* Hmmm...all members of the US Armed Forces. *Double checks the more numerous Cobra guys* Interesting...lots of international mercenaries. I'm sensing something...it's almost as if the premise of GI Joe is American Military badassery versus International Terrorism.

America's the international community's whipping boy until some psycho dictator decides he wants to rule the world or genocide his own people, then it's all "Where's America? Why aren't the Americans stepping up and doing anything? The Americans are all rich and fat. They should spend their treasure and spill their blood to save the rest of the world. It's the least they can do since their country isn't a shithole like 2/3 of ours are."

Seriously, whose first response to impending doom is "Call the French!" "Brazil will save us" "Trouble in Denmark, get the Chinese on the phone" or "If Only the Japanese were here!" What? No "Thank God, the Russians are coming"?

The strategic reality of the world is that most countries don't have the resources for a GI JOE operation or the balls to use one if they did. Of those that do, most you don't want anywhere near you to begin with. That leaves the US and the UK (and associated nations like Australia and Canada) to break out the mop when the shit hits the fan.

I can see these guys joining up for some JOE special ops, but the Rainbow Coalition the movie people are going for here is stupid.

Last edited by Base_Delta_Zero; January 24 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 08:36 AM   #34
captcalhoun
Admiral

WRONG! Big Ben is from the SAS and Boomerang is Australian. PLUS there's a load of Russian Oktober Guard figures.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 12:52 PM   #35
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Tom Cruise was not the last samurai. The title of the movie referred to Ken Watanabe's character.
I always assumed that the "Samurai" of the title was plural, which would also make sense. In any case, I'm British, fairly liberal, and I've had some criticisms of American foreign policy and whatnot recently, but I'm still pissed off about them mucking up GI-Joe. Even without the "Real American Hero" tagline, there's still no more American sounding name for a force than GI-Joe. The history of the phrase should never be ignored, it just makes a movie with an already silly premise (no bad thing) more ridiculous.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 12:58 PM   #36
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I can't be the only one who really doesn't give a damn about G.I. JOE being turned into an international unit.

And I agree with Bishbot, I always interpreted The Last Samurai to be Katsumoto and his clan, not just Katsumoto, and definitely not Algren.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 02:15 PM   #37
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Some of the changes seem a bit odd to me - Duke water boarding prisoners, a french Joe code-named "cynical smoker" who doesn't do anything but turns up at the end demanding a medal, Ace wiping out half the joes in a friendly fire incident...

It looks ok but it's no Team America.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 04:42 PM   #38
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Hey, would you look at that. A genre film with 'Rise Of' in the title; This thing has originality written all over it. Maybe Cobra can get together with The Lycans, The Machines, and The Silver Surfer for a little party. I think they're serving cake as we speak, down in the I don't have a frickin' original idea in my wallet sized brain pavilion.
Old January 24 2009, 10:07 PM   #39
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

Wow, the hypocrisy in this thread reeks like no other.

"OMG! They changed the wording on GI JOE! OMG! IT SUCKS! THEY WENT INTERNATIONAL"

"Holy shit, Transformers they changed everything! OMG! IT ROCKED"

Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 12:04 AM   #40
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post

"OMG! They changed the wording on GI JOE! OMG! IT SUCKS! THEY WENT INTERNATIONAL"

Transformers has gone through many many changes over the last 25 years. Just at a rough count I can come up with ten different Transformers universes, including the movieverse. I'm not an expert on GI-Joe, but I know a fair bit, and it doesn't seem to have been anywhere near as mutable, its not really surprising that people are pissed.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 01:05 AM   #41
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Yeah, NO ONE complained about the changes to the Tranformers, there was absolutely no controversy whatsoever associated with that movie.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 04:48 AM   #42
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

Bishbot wrote: View Post

Transformers has gone through many many changes over the last 25 years. Just at a rough count I can come up with ten different Transformers universes, including the movieverse. I'm not an expert on GI-Joe, but I know a fair bit, and it doesn't seem to have been anywhere near as mutable, its not really surprising that people are pissed.
GI Joe has gone through many, many changes from Eco Terrorism to the Ninja thing. Read some of the comics.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 05:33 AM   #43
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

GI Joe has gone through many, many changes from Eco Terrorism to the Ninja thing. Read some of the comics.
The difference is, all those sub-lines of Joe toys came out in the same set "universe" as the original "Real American Hero" line. "Transformers" has made several clear continuity breaks in its time. Within G1 there were already at least four distinct timelines. G1 is a totally separate entity from the "Unicron" trilogy (though the "Unicron" trilogy does reference some G1 stuff, mostly as a nod to fans more than continuity). Those series are themselves separate from "Robots in Disguise" and so on.
Old January 25 2009, 05:53 AM   #44
ancient
Vice Admiral

Regardless of anything else, G.I. Joe = American soldier.

That's out here in real world land.

This is like making a movie about the "Royal Navy" and having it be an international crime-fighting boat squad that happens to have a few Brit members. It's ok if the premise is silly (international crime-fighting boat squad ) as long as you don't have a blatently contradictory title. If you're going to use a real world term, it should logically fit into your premise and you shouldn't change the premise so that it no longer fits.

"Transformers" was still about transforming robots, I think.
Old January 25 2009, 09:27 AM   #45
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral

DeVario wrote: View Post
If this movie doesn't end with a "and knowing's half the battle" PSA, then I'm boycotting, dammit!
Hahaha yes, they gotta put one in the end during the credits. My favorite is the one with Torpedo. It's the one with the kid drowning and then he shows up. "Hey use your head don't lose it"

Oh man, classic Joe.
the_wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote