RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 556
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 21 2009, 06:27 PM   #31
Scout101
Admiral

Re: 24's Change

Season 4 was definitely the breaking point, where the show just took a flying leap off of 'quasi-reality' mountain. At least in the first seasons, you could follow most of what was going on (stupid moments aside, most of the plot kinda worked).

Season 4 was all about misdirection to try and 'shake up' the franchise. Great, now it's a shock a minute. Plot makes no sense, though. We talked about it at the time, but when you write down the bad guy's entire "plan" and say it at once, a retarded 3rd grader would have told him that it's no good. Plan 1, which is just misdirection for plan 2, which is a distraction while we work on plan 3, and so on. For like 15 plans. And most of them relied on the plan before it to work perfectly, but without time to communicate or change things up if there is a snag. How the FBI, CIA, and CTU all missed the chatter on these 15 plans is beyond imagining. Several of the diversion plans would have been a better primary goal if it hadn't been half-assed, as well. When your diversion is worse than your primary goal...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2009, 07:39 PM   #32
Aragorn
Admiral

Season four makes perfect sense!

A computer device that somehow controls every nuclear power plant in the USA and has more authority than people actually working in those power plants is stolen, and Secretary of Defense James Heller is kidnapped and broadcast on the internet as a diversion to upload the MacGuffin without anyone noticing. All this is somehow a distraction for their rogue stealth fighter pilot to fly up to Air Force One and blow it out of the sky (who probably would've been more successful if there had been no prior terrorist activites that day because no one would've noticed)... just so that they can get their hands on the football, even though the codes would've been immediately changed and their are easier ways to obtain a nuclear missile, which they also had to steal at around the same time. And all this to fire the nuclear missile at Los Angeles, where the bad guys have been the whole time and are still there when the nuke is launched.

And don't forget the businessmen that would rather start a war with government agents (the business has their own personal military team?!?!?!?) than admit they unknowingly helped a terrorist.

And the character who might as well have been wearing an "I'm a mole" shirt when she was introduced.

And CTU vehicles all come with ski masks in case you need to rob a place.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2009, 07:49 PM   #33
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Lets not forget the real world intruded. The first scene of Day One had a last minute edit following 9/11. To go over the top of what was happening in the world the actions of the CTU became increasingly surreal.
Old January 22 2009, 04:07 AM   #34
Scout101
Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Season four makes perfect sense!

A computer device that somehow controls every nuclear power plant in the USA and has more authority than people actually working in those power plants is stolen, and Secretary of Defense James Heller is kidnapped and broadcast on the internet as a diversion to upload the MacGuffin without anyone noticing. All this is somehow a distraction for their rogue stealth fighter pilot to fly up to Air Force One and blow it out of the sky (who probably would've been more successful if there had been no prior terrorist activites that day because no one would've noticed)... just so that they can get their hands on the football, even though the codes would've been immediately changed and their are easier ways to obtain a nuclear missile, which they also had to steal at around the same time. And all this to fire the nuclear missile at Los Angeles, where the bad guys have been the whole time and are still there when the nuke is launched.

And don't forget the businessmen that would rather start a war with government agents (the business has their own personal military team?!?!?!?) than admit they unknowingly helped a terrorist.

And the character who might as well have been wearing an "I'm a mole" shirt when she was introduced.

And CTU vehicles all come with ski masks in case you need to rob a place.

like i said: the bad guys would have been better with a retarded 3rd grader in charge. Plan has way too many steps, all depending on the last one working perfectly. And just stealing the 'magic nuke plant blow up device' and melting down plants would have been MORE than a good enough terrorist plot. Melting down a bunch of plants in order to try and launch a nuke? isn't that LESS damage than just the meltdown?

kinda like planning to shoot someone in the stomach so they don't notice you gave them a noogie...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 08:54 PM   #35
Harvey
Admiral

24 has never been believable, but since the third season the plot twists are the equivalent of soap opera. They operate without internal logic nor thought towards continuity, but instead are invented out of thin air in order to perpetuate less than 24 hours of ideas across an entire season. The real time device is nothing more than a formality beginning with the fourth season, too.

I thought season five was surprisingly well plotted for a season (like all the others) that was basically written on the run and had little respect for the real-time device. It's the only one since season two that I particularly care for as a whole. But make no mistake--it's still as preposterous as 24 can get.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 11:07 PM   #36
Top41

Save for Day 6, which really did get frustrating, I've always enjoyed each season of 24. As long as it keeps me entertained and doesn't veer too far into the ridiculous (which let's face it, 24 often does), I'm happy.

I really found the Kim subplot annoying as hell in season two. I was rewatching the first few eps with my roommate a few months ago and had forgotten how stupid that whole thing was. And yet, there were a lot of good things about s.2 (like Mason and the nukes). I thought the ending sucked, though.

I'd have to rewatch it, but I remember season three being really good (after slightly slow start) with what is possibly the most disturbing hour of 24, ever (the Chappelle episode--if you've seen it, you know what I mean).

I liked seasons four and five, too. And of course, season one was awesome, if just for being the first and having that wholly original feel.

Season 6 had one of the best starts of any season...and then really went to the depths of sucktitude with the cartoonishly bad Daddy Bauer.

I hope season seven is good. I'm enjoying it so far!
Old January 22 2009, 11:13 PM   #37
Aragorn
Admiral

Season one was the best because the stakes were more personal and realistic, and the surprises were new. Remember when Alan York was revealed not to be Alan York? Now we expect anyone can become the bad guy and it won't come as a surprise -- even if it completely comes out of nowhere and contradicts the previous episodes (Logan).
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 03:36 AM   #38
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Just finished re-watching Season 2.

And GOD I keep forgetting how inspid Kim's plot was in that season. She just does one dumb thing after another.
Old January 23 2009, 07:56 AM   #39
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

Season 6 was extremely disappointing. The first four episodes, which were released on DVD at the time together, were GREAT. Maybe the best four episodes of '24' in one arc.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, the season went into the crapper. I swear that the writers had this great idea for the first four episodes....but then they realized that was all they had. I think either they were just winging it for the rest of that season, or they let the D Team take over.

I still think that Season 5 is the best, just because of President Logan. He makes that entire season almost by himself.

We are now 5 episodes into Season 7, and so far it has not really been worth having to wait twice as long as usual to see it. I hope it will get better soon, because I'm not that impressed yet.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 05:26 PM   #40
Mr Light
Admiral

The first 8 episodes of this season were filmed two years ago before the strike. So starting with ep9 is when they had that extra year to plan and write, so I'd hope to see an upswing in quality then.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 07:36 PM   #41
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The first 8 episodes of this season were filmed two years ago before the strike. So starting with ep9 is when they had that extra year to plan and write, so I'd hope to see an upswing in quality then.
Or we'll see a lot of retconning and other gaffes that completely kill any hope for continuity over the course of the season.
Old January 23 2009, 07:44 PM   #42
mrcoaster
Fleet Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post

kinda like planning to shoot someone in the stomach so they don't notice you gave them a noogie...

I love this analogy!

The last couple of seasons had me rolling my eyes A LOT during the episodes. I've been enjoying the change of pace in this season quite a bit more so far. It's not perfect, but I'm not as annoyed with it's flaws. Though we were cracking up hysterically when Garafolo and Chloe battled. "It's Chloe vs. Chloe!"

I'm just waiting for Kim to call and complain that Jack needs to come and meet her new boyfriend - and right this second!