RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 510
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 23 2009, 12:49 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Trek Blu-Ray Release Details

As if an all-new feature film won't be enough to satisfy Trek fans in the month of May, Paramount and CBS are reportedly planning to roll out the first Blu-Ray releases of both Trek on film and Trek on television.

According to a new report posted on the Digital Bits, CBS is planning to release the first season of the original Trek series in a set that will include both the remastered and the original broadcast versions of each episode. The set will be released on the same day Paramount will release the so-called 'Kirk/Spock' box set, containing the first six episodes in their original theatrical versions.

Earlier in the week, the Norwegian DVD site release.no reported that Europe would see the release of a 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture Trilogy' set, including the first three feature films. In addition, they reported plans by Paramount to also release separate Blu-Ray discs of the second, third, fourth and sixth films, with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier apparently missing in action in Europe.

Release.no also posted the first cover images of both the Trilogy box set and CBS's package for the first TOS season. The reported release date for all these sets is the 13th of May, neatly coinciding with the May 8 release date of the new film.

For the original reports, please head over to the Digital Bits and release.no.

Old January 23 2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Admiral Bear
Captain

Re: Trek Blu-Ray Release Details

Cue even more wince inducing, rip off prices from Paramount.

I can see that Trek movie trilogy boxset being at least $80 or $90 and Lord only knows how much over in the UK.
Old January 23 2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

Then don't buy them.

I'm glad to finally see a remastered/original effects combo box for Star Trek Season 1. Let's hope it is the cleaned up copies of the print used for remastering for the original version.
Old January 23 2009, 06:03 PM   #4
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

Meh. Blu-Ray won't last.
Old January 23 2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

trekkerguy wrote: View Post
Meh. Blu-Ray won't last.
I doubt that.
Old January 23 2009, 06:24 PM   #6
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Finally both remastered and original versions in the same set...

...and still the moaning continues!

I don't have Blu-ray yet (only bought my first 1080i LCD at Xmas) but it's good to know they'll be out there when I get around to it.
Old January 23 2009, 07:10 PM   #7
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Meh. Blu-Ray won't last.
I doubt that.
Good for you.
Old January 23 2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Admiral Bear
Captain

Meh. Blu-Ray won't last.
Agreed. I read a report a few weeks ago which quoted a guy from Sony saying blu-ray will be dead within 5 years.
Old January 23 2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Meh. Blu-Ray won't last.
I doubt that.
Good for you.
I don't give a fuck how long the format stays on the shelves, as long as it's long enough for the catalogue to sufficiently widen and for all new releases to be on it.

Oh look, that already happened. And when it finally goes the way of VHS, I'll still have discs full of lovely 1080p content at bitrates most current digital download services could only dream of.

So whatever happens, yes. It's very good for me.

Last edited by Jim Steele; January 23 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old January 23 2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Saxman1
Commodore

Here's the problem for me, at least: we just picked up a Blu-Ray player and yeah, it's great and all that. However, the format is pretty much about $30 per disc whether it's a concert, TV show or movie. I forget how many discs are in TOS (I have the original DVD Gold, Blue and Red boxes)? That's maybe about 9-10 discs? Multiply that by 9 and you are at about $270 for season one. Not biting at that price.
Old January 23 2009, 09:11 PM   #11
James Bond
Rear Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
As if an all-new feature film won't be enough to satisfy Trek fans in the month of May, Paramount and CBS are reportedly planning to roll out the first Blu-Ray releases of both Trek on film and Trek on television.<p>According to a new report posted on the <A class="link" HREF="http://www.thedigitalbits.com/">Digital Bits</A>, CBS is planning to release the first season of the original Trek series in a set that will include both the remastered and the original broadcast versions of each episode. The set will be released on the same day Paramount will release the so-called 'Kirk/Spock' box set, containing the first six episodes in their original theatrical versions.<p>Earlier in the week, the Norwegian DVD site <A class="link" HREF="http://www.release.no/artikkel.asp?ID=5546">release.no</A> reported that Europe would see the release of a 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture Trilogy' set, including the first three feature films. In addition, they reported plans by Paramount to also release separate Blu-Ray discs of the second, third, fourth and sixth films, with <i>Star Trek V: The Final Frontier</i> apparently missing in action in Europe.<p>Release.no also posted the first <A class="link" HREF="http://www.release.no/artikkel.asp?ID=5546">cover images</A> of both the Trilogy box set and CBS's package for the first TOS season. The reported release date for all these sets is the 13th of May, neatly coinciding with the May 8 release date of the new film.<p>For the original reports, please head over to the <A class="link" HREF="http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents">Digital Bits</A> and <A class="link" HREF="http://www.release.no/artikkel.asp?ID=5546">release.no</A>.<center></center>
About freaking time.

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Meh. Blu-Ray won't last.
Agreed. I read a report a few weeks ago which quoted a guy from Sony saying blu-ray will be dead within 5 years.
Care to post a link to that article?
Old January 23 2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

I'd like to see that too, considering his bosses would have flipped their fuckin' lids.
Old January 23 2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via AIM to Tinkertoyz76

Paramount has actually been one of the better studios when it comes to priceing of catalog titles released on bluray.

recent catalog releases of movies such as topgun, the truman show, Ghost, and the upcomming Friday the 13th uncut can be had for 19.99 apiece.

the studios that have been charging outrageous prices on bluray has been FOX/MGM.

And paramount has been excellent when it comes to providing special feature content for there bluray releases(especially in terms of making sure most of it is presented in HD)

just take a look at the upcomming friday the 13th bluray.

for those of you who have to be spoil sports and rain on everyone elses parade boo on you, if you dont like guess what you dont have to buy it.

no one is holding a gun to your head, plus you and i both no that first week that places like BestBuy and Frys will have excellent prices on these, to use as loss leaders to get people in the store to buy other items or to upgrade a to bluray player or HD tv.

look at mgms recent releases of the bond films, those have a high msrp but frys had them for 16.99 each for individuals and about 49 a piece for the 3 disc box sets.

and admiral bear, the movie trilogy set is not even a us release.
the us release will be all 6 movies.

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Cue even more wince inducing, rip off prices from Paramount.

I can see that Trek movie trilogy boxset being at least $80 or $90 and Lord only knows how much over in the UK.
Old January 23 2009, 11:32 PM   #14
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via AIM to Tinkertoyz76

saxman paramount usually sets the msrp for recent theatrical releases at 39.99 MSRP which the store usually then price at 25.99 to 29.99
and for catalog titles the MSRP is usually about 28.99 which stores then price between 14.99 and 24.99. Tv series are a litttle more of course cause your buying an entire season and the theory is if you are buying the season your probably not going to bother watching reruns on television, so thats less viewers to help sell advertising time by the network. also the television series being released through CBS which is now a seperate company from paramount where as the movies are being released by parmount its self.

the 1season remaster that came out on hddvd a while back had a msrp of 199.99 and couldbe had in stores or onlinefor anywhere for 99.99 to 149.99. part of the justification for this price was it was an hd dvd combo disc which one side was hd dvd one side was standard dvd.

the blurays will be simply single sided bluray only discs.
most likely these will be in the range of 79.99 to 129.99 when released.

i dont know where you get your bluray pricing from but do a little research both in store and online and you will find that you can get great deals relatively easily.

And to the person who said bluray will be dead in 5 years, i have a suggestion to you, why dont you get over your anger at the fact that hd dvd lost and move on. if bluray is going to be dead in five years, why is it the only growth made in the home video market this last christmas was on bluray.
(
Saxman1 wrote: View Post
Here's the problem for me, at least: we just picked up a Blu-Ray player and yeah, it's great and all that. However, the format is pretty much about $30 per disc whether it's a concert, TV show or movie. I forget how many discs are in TOS (I have the original DVD Gold, Blue and Red boxes)? That's maybe about 9-10 discs? Multiply that by 9 and you are at about $270 for season one. Not biting at that price.
Old January 24 2009, 05:47 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Sucks that the first six films will only be in their theatrical versions. I much preferred the special editions (of TMP, TWOK and TUC).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.