Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 23 2009, 02:16 AM   #46
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: 2009 Oscar Nominations

The Dark Knight didn't deserve any nominations in my opinion, no matter how popular it was. Ledger's performance was excellent, but it was not a challenging role. Downey's performance was much superior, much more challenging technically and even funnier.

Sites like metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes can still suffer sampling errors. The large number of samples doesn't remove the problem of rating ambiguous reviews. Even worse, regarding critical reviews as samples of a move's quality, then simply counting them doesn't address systematic errors in the reviewing process. Such as the desire of critics to not be too different from their audience. Indeed, many critics operate as a feature designed to attract readers, and their reviews as a whole operate as barometers of popularity, not artistic quality. The emphasis on internet feedback has sharpened this tendency.

Don't forget, reverse snobbery ("just plain folks" or faux populism) is no more valid than snobbery.

Anyone who imagines Hollywood is some far left ivory tower either hasn't actually been paying attention to what's on their screens, or has a far right perspective. Or both.

As for rants about PC---everyone who is being honest knows that pretty much the only "PC" that is widespread is disdain for people who use racial epithets. Feeling that is dire insult says too much about you.
Old January 23 2009, 02:19 AM   #47
T'Baio
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Ledger's performance was excellent, but it was not a challenging role. Downey's performance was much superior, much more challenging technically and even funnier.
While The Dark Knight didn't deserve a Best Picture nod, and RDJ's performance truly is worthy, don't discount Ledger's...which is also more than worthy. There is some truly phenomenal acting going on there, like that which is rarely seen. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea in terms of how enjoyable one finds it, but it's one hell of a performance.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 03:31 AM   #48
Neroon
Mod of balance

Top41 wrote: View Post
I can't believe Revolutionary Road was totally shut out. Kate Winslet and Leonard DiCaprio were both phenomenal, and the adaptation was incredibly true to the book.
That actually didn't surprise me at all. The reviews I've read have been very mixed at best, though most have been very complimentary of Winslet. I hope she pulls in Oscar gold some day, because she's truly been taking chances in a variety of films.

T'Baio wrote: View Post
While The Dark Knight didn't deserve a Best Picture nod, and RDJ's performance truly is worthy, don't discount Ledger's...which is also more than worthy. There is some truly phenomenal acting going on there, like that which is rarely seen. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea in terms of how enjoyable one finds it, but it's one hell of a performance.
Couldn't agree with you more. I went to see The Dark Knight fully expecting to be underwhelmed considering the galactic hype, especially when it came to Heath Leder's turn as the Joker. But her impressed me to significant degrees. His performance really seemed to depict a strange madness I hadn't seen before. Death or not, in my eyes e fully deserves at least the nomination.
Old January 23 2009, 04:56 AM   #49
ZUUL-iet
Gate Keeper

Send a message via Yahoo to ZUUL-iet

Once again Kate Winslet gets an Oscar nom. Sadly, I fear once again she'll leave empty handed.

There is no Zion Ravescene, only Zulu Romeo...
ZUUL-iet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 05:03 AM   #50
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
Nice to see that one wasn't overlooked. But Roarke has got it in the can.
Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder! That's the greatest nomination the Oscars have ever made!
Another field where the winner is a foregone conclusion, but I'm sure Downey will get more insane roles like that, which will give him chances to win...hey what about Cowboys and Aliens?
What the hell is Milk or The Reader? Has any average film goer even heard of these films?
The Oscars are becoming an art-film ghetto. But I prefer that to them becoming just another iteration of the People's Choice Award. Let em be highbrow, they'll pay for it by taking a hit in the Nielsens.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 01:02 PM   #51
Kira's Mummy
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mummy's Twitter Profile

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
Once again Kate Winslet gets an Oscar nom. Sadly, I fear once again she'll leave empty handed.
If Angelina Jolie wins instead of Kate Winslet, I will barf. I'm annoyed she got a nomination over Sally Hawkins.
Old January 23 2009, 02:06 PM   #52
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Zion Ravescene wrote: View Post
Well she needs to do a film about the Holocaust
"I'm doing it because I've noticed that if you do a film about the Holocaust you're guaranteed an Oscar. I've been nominated four times; never won. The whole world is going 'why hasn't Winslet won one?' That's it, that's why I'm doing it. Schlinder's bloody List! The Pianist. Oscar's coming out of their arse"
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 02:12 PM   #53
Neroon
Mod of balance

Ethros wrote: View Post
"The Reader" is just that, isn't it?
Old January 23 2009, 02:43 PM   #54
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder! That's the greatest nomination the Oscars have ever made! I love Ledgers performance, but I hope RDJ wins, as the nomination and performance is more courageous than Ledgers.

Way to go, RDJ!
Yeah, but he's not going to win. That award belongs and will stay with Heath.
Old January 23 2009, 07:13 PM   #55
T'Baio
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder! That's the greatest nomination the Oscars have ever made! I love Ledgers performance, but I hope RDJ wins, as the nomination and performance is more courageous than Ledgers.

Way to go, RDJ!
Yeah, but he's not going to win. That award belongs and will stay with Heath.
Captain Obvious, here.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 07:24 PM   #56
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
Ethros wrote: View Post
"The Reader" is just that, isn't it?
I don't know anything about it
*looks on Wiki*
Haha, yes more or less. That makes that scene in Extras even more funny
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 07:32 PM   #57
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
What the hell is Milk or The Reader? Has any average film goer even heard of these films?
The Oscars are becoming an art-film ghetto. But I prefer that to them becoming just another iteration of the People's Choice Award. Let em be highbrow, they'll pay for it by taking a hit in the Nielsens.
I can't speak to Milk or The Reader which I haven't seen and may very well be art house films, but Frost/Nixon and in particular Slumdog Millionaire, while small films are not. Frost/Nixon, as strange as it is going to sound, is more like a crowd pleasing boxing film than anything else. Subject matter and quality aside, it's structured like a Rocky film; Nixon as Apollo Creed. And Slumdog while quite good and inventive in many places, mixes very familiar audience pleasing Hollywood ideas. It is only the central plot conceit and the "exotic" locale which hides this familiarity from immediate detection.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 12:31 AM   #58
Orintho
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Ledger's performance was excellent, but it was not a challenging role. Downey's performance was much superior, much more challenging technically and even funnier.
Great point. RDJ did an outstanding job, but his role did not quite hit those depths that I saw Ledger pull off. Every now and then an actor really hits it, and Ledger did. But this is one of the problems with the nature of this kind of award show - so many great performances can get overlooked or not even recognized, let alone the problem of different performances 'competing'.
Old January 24 2009, 12:37 AM   #59
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Even if you forget the subject matter - which is admittedly Oscar bait, Milk is just a great looking film and as such, deserves to at least be acknowledged.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2009, 02:40 AM   #60
Neroon
Mod of balance

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Even if you forget the subject matter - which is admittedly Oscar bait, Milk is just a great looking film and as such, deserves to at least be acknowledged.
It's that point that I think gets lost in the shuffle sometimes. Winning the Oscar is a great achievement, the goal of so many pictures. However, just being nominated is a great thing to. Is it as great as winning? No, but it sure has its benefits.