TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 22 2009, 08:17 AM   #31
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG
Re: A Singular Destiny review thread (possible spoilers)

Ktrek wrote: View Post
You guys from Israel could always buy a Sony Reader or a Kindle and not have to pay such outrageous postage fees and also get the books in a more timely manner in most cases. I personally prefer paper copies but if I lived in a place like you do I would do what I needed to.

Kevin
Well, I prefer the dead-tree versions as well...

I think that my LCS does a great job in that regard:

1. While the cost of a Trek novel when ordered or bought in one of the main bookstore chains is approx. 15.5 USD, the cost through my LCS is approx. 11 USD (including all costs) so it's not THAT expensive...

2. The LCS guys know what a Trek fan I am, so they often order a Trek novel just for me (thy did it in the case of Mere Mortals, which Id missed in Previews...). If for some reason I don't want the book, they just put it on display (though in several years, there was only time I declined a Trek book )
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 11:31 AM   #32
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel

Ktrek wrote: View Post
You guys from Israel could always buy a Sony Reader or a Kindle and not have to pay such outrageous postage fees and also get the books in a more timely manner in most cases. I personally prefer paper copies but if I lived in a place like you do I would do what I needed to.

Kevin

Ya know Kevin, I live in NY and it's never a problem for me to get the books. However, I happen to have an apt here in Jerusalem where I am staying for a few months visiting friends and family and I am still getting my stuff in a timely matter.

At one point, Barnes and Nobles was going to open a store near the Western Wall Mall but the deal fell through over a few disagreements but rumor has it that they have restarted negotiations to bring them here.
Old January 22 2009, 07:24 PM   #33
DarkHorizon
Captain

So, I managed to write a full review of the novel, reposted here from my blog:

So, Destiny has reshaped the state of the Star Trek universe. And now, the ripples from that catastrophic trilogy are beginning to spread. A Singular Destiny is the first novel to explore this new horizon - and it sets the seeds for the next two years’ worth of stories.

Ever since ASD was announced, I’ve been looking forward to its release, particularly since Keith R.A. DeCandido described it as “Clancy-esque” (I’ve been a fan of Tom Clancy ever since I read Red October at about age ten - well, of everything up until The Bear and the Dragon, anyway… but that’s an entirely different post). It’s a rare beast, this - a political thriller - which, like Clancy’s work, fits a lot of apparently unconnected events into a grand tapestry that leaves us hurtling along with the story.

It’s a few months after the end of Lost Souls, and the devastation isn’t going anywhere. Across the galaxy, empires and civilizations are struggling to rebuild, and to cope with the enormous refugee crisis that has accompanied the Borg invasion. Supplies are shorter, fleet resources are scarce, and hungry eyes are focusing on those weakened by invasion.

As the first book in the sequence helpfully titled “Cleaning Up Mack’s Mess”, A Singular Destiny has a lot to deal with. But, by not tying the story to any of the main casts, DeCandido is once again able to encompass a larger portion of the Star Trek universe, and address issues that have a more wide-ranging impact. After such a universe-affecting event like Destiny, this is exactly the book to follow it - showing how that universe as a whole is affected, instead of focusing on the effects on one small group of people.

Blending in between chapters are snippets of various documents, transcripts, and other material - along the lines of DeCandido’s work in the Shards and Shadows story “Family Matters” - to further establish the situation the Star Trek universe finds itself in. And these aren’t just throwaway asides, either - two in particular have major impact, one (between Chapters 7 and 8) especially so, which had me cursing DeCandido rather loudly for being such a magnificent bastard…

The new character we are presented with, Sonek Pran, is very much in the Jack Ryan mould - the man in the middle of it all, slowly piecing things together to realise the full scope of what’s unfolding. Being a brand new character thrown straight into the narrative, there is always the danger of appearing far too good to be true; whilst there are brief moments the character grates, it never gets to the point where the character appears larger than life - there’s no convoluted past relationship with every major character, nor endless discussions about his history (the bits that do appear are relevant to the plot, or right at the start, when the character is introduced) - or overpowers the storyline.

Throwing more focus on newly-promoted Captain Ezri Dax and the Aventine is a good move, since we didn’t get a huge amount of time in Destiny to explore this new ship and her crew. The continuing look at the political figures of the Federation - established by DeCandido in A Time for War, A Time for Peace, and explored still further in the wonderful Articles of the Federation (to which there is a minor callback - or, at least, an addressing of a continuity question that resulted from AotF and Before Dishonor) - helps to further develop the universe. And there are lots of wonderful little hints about, and cameos by, familiar characters, in some cases pushing their individual stories forward a little bit more since we last saw them.

The Kinshaya intrigued me - I shall have to see if I can get hold of a copy of The Final Reflection,which introduces them - hopefully, we’ll get to explore them a bit more in the coming novels.

So, now we have a new power on the scene - the Typhon Pact - who outnumber, outgun and surround the Federation. Now, my hope is that we don’t just dive back into another war in 2010 when The Typhon Pact miniseries begins, but that we get a tale of political machinations and a cold war. Personally, I think that bouncing from crisis to crisis can get a little bit tiresome - note the ongoing discussions in the comic book world about “event fatigue” - and something a bit different could be called for this time around.

All in all, though, this is another strong novel from DeCandido - poignant, witty, exciting, and heartfelt. It leaves you wanting to know more about what’s coming next - and the handy release schedule on the inside back cover certainly helps with that!
Old January 22 2009, 07:29 PM   #34
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
^Yeah, I was glad I read through that carefully. Whatever it means, the books in... the series in question... are certainly going to be interesting.
That was particularly depressing to see, at least in one case.
Old January 22 2009, 07:36 PM   #35
Jean-Luc Picard
Lieutenant

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
^Yeah, I was glad I read through that carefully. Whatever it means, the books in... the series in question... are certainly going to be interesting.
Now I am really intrigued...
Jean-Luc Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 07:47 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer

DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
The Kinshaya intrigued me - I shall have to see if I can get hold of a copy of The Final Reflection,which introduces them - hopefully, we’ll get to explore them a bit more in the coming novels.
The Kinshaya were only alluded to in The Final Reflection, not depicted or explored in any detail. ASD is the first novel that's ever portrayed them "onscreen" or established anything about their culture.

They also appear in a FASA role-playing game book that John M. Ford wrote, The Klingons, but their description there is incompatible with what's described in ASD. I found this description online:

The Kinshaya average 2 metres tall and mass about 200kg. They have no discernable head, and their sensory organs are set in the upper torso, between the massive armoured shoulders. They are bipedal, with two arms, from which hang thick folds of skin resembling wings or a heavy cloak. The legs are covered in overlapping bony plates. The shoulders have similar plates, from which project a number of spikes or horns. They are covered in short green/black fur. The “face” has two large round twin-lensed eyes, a flap-covered breathing orifice and a round mouth ringed with three rows of sharp teeth. A third sight organ is in back, and is capable of not much more than detecting motion and light or dark. The hearing organs are covered by skin. To a Human, they would resemble a huge bat (though no Human has ever seen one), and to Klingons they look much like demons of myth.
Keith's Kinshaya are quadrupeds with actual wings and large, expressive ears. I imagined something like griffins. They do have the spherical black ships mentioned in the gaming material, though.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 08:27 PM   #37
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

RonG wrote: View Post
The LCS guys know what a Trek fan I am, so they often order a Trek novel just for me (thy did it in the case of Mere Mortals, which Id missed in Previews...).
Unfortunately, Diamond cancelled orders on Mere Mortals, probably because they were too low.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 08:58 PM   #38
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The LCS guys know what a Trek fan I am, so they often order a Trek novel just for me (thy did it in the case of Mere Mortals, which Id missed in Previews...).
Unfortunately, Diamond cancelled orders on Mere Mortals, probably because they were too low.
So how come they were able to send out copies? Did they cancel orders other than the preliminary ones?
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 09:44 PM   #39
JD
Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Come, could you guys tell us? In spoiler coding of course.
Old January 22 2009, 09:52 PM   #40
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
So how come they were able to send out copies? Did they cancel orders other than the preliminary ones?
Oh, Mere Mortals. My bad, sorry. I thought you meant Mere Anarchy. (It's the "Mere" that threw me.) Which was reported on Psi Phi as having had its orders through Diamond cancelled last week.

Obviously, I need more coffee.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 10:02 PM   #41
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Come, could you guys tell us? In spoiler coding of course.
I think people should wait and read the book-- it'll be more fun that way, honest-- but if you absolutely can't wait, I suppose there's no harm in saying that

Like I say, whether the report is right or not, the future looks interesting.
Old January 22 2009, 10:06 PM   #42
LightningStorm
The Borg King

I think people should wait and read the book-- it'll be more fun that way, honest-- but if you absolutely can't wait, I suppose there's no harm in saying that

OMG. Thanks KRAD! I'm not looking forward to the

Last edited by LightningStorm; January 22 2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Attempt to avoid misunderstanding
LightningStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 10:17 PM   #43
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

^ I think we might as well start it, get it over with.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 10:21 PM   #44
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 10:50 PM   #45
JD
Admiral

LightningStorm wrote: View Post

Hmm, very intersting. Especially given where we saw that character's closest relation in the last book.