Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the two-hour premiere...
The first hour was EXCELLENT. 59 61.46%
The first hour was ABOVE AVERAGE. 29 30.21%
The first hour was AVERAGE. 7 7.29%
The first hour was BELOW AVERAGE. 1 1.04%
The first hour was POOR. 0 0%
The second hour was EXCELLENT. 38 39.58%
The second hour was ABOVE AVERAGE. 40 41.67%
The second hour was AVERAGE. 12 12.50%
The second hour was BELOW AVERAGE. 3 3.13%
The second hour was POOR. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22 2009, 04:49 PM   #91
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Re: Lost 5x01: "Because You Left" & 5x02: "The Lie"

I love how the show just went completely batshit with the sci-fi and gave up all pretense of being "accessible to casual fans" or whatnot - i mean at this point there's only two mini-seasons left and are pretty much guaranteed, it seems to have freed them.

The whole thing was big dramatic action-sci-fi spectacle at this point.

The time skipping thing I think has finally opened up the story to some sort of predestination paradox I think. I'm wondering what if the island's "original inhabitants" are actually the Lostaways, or descendents of the Lostaways?
Old January 22 2009, 05:39 PM   #92
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^ Again, I'd be surprised if this didn't come into play to some extent at least. Going well back into time might be how the Losties ultimately escape the problems of being found by modern society.
Old January 22 2009, 05:45 PM   #93
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The show became really engaging lost night when I realized that nearly everything was no footage and the only end point we have between now and the end of the season or series is that Locke is going to die. They can take the story literally anywhere.
Old January 22 2009, 06:28 PM   #94
Gertch
Admiral

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
After last night's episodes, I've come to the conclusion that I'm:

A) too old;
B) too dumb;
C) too unimaginative or;
D) all of the above

to truly understand and enjoy this show. This show has just totally gone over my head. I don't know why I watch it anymore, it's like a train wreck that I can't turn away from.
How about overwhelmed? I had a little overload by the end. So much had gone on and trying to fit the pieces together was tiring.
Old January 22 2009, 06:33 PM   #95
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
And what did they mean by "cut off her other hand"? Will she lose a hand?
I can only hope

But I respect that some people like this character. You can all go back to the beach and do nothing with her while the island skips through time.

Maab of the Ten Tribes wrote: View Post
Did anyone else think there is a significance to them showing Sawyer's foot all messed up? There has to be something to that because it looked mighty messed up. Maybe he loses a toe?....Hmmm.
I love this theory. The losties being the first residents of the island is a cool ending.
Old January 22 2009, 06:36 PM   #96
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Gertch wrote: View Post
gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
After last night's episodes, I've come to the conclusion that I'm:

A) too old;
B) too dumb;
C) too unimaginative or;
D) all of the above

to truly understand and enjoy this show. This show has just totally gone over my head. I don't know why I watch it anymore, it's like a train wreck that I can't turn away from.
How about overwhelmed? I had a little overload by the end. So much had gone on and trying to fit the pieces together was tiring.
*raises hand*

I'll admit to that. I think it was somewhat mitigated, though, by the fact that I knew it was probably going to be chaotic going in. So while I was watching last night I made a conscious effort not to play puzzlemaster as I often do while I was watching the show. Just sort of let it happen.

Of course all that's out the fucking window now Watched it again this morning and my mind's in overdrive!
Old January 22 2009, 07:00 PM   #97
Gertch
Admiral

DeafPoet wrote: View Post
Of course all that's out the fucking window now Watched it again this morning and my mind's in overdrive!
I teased my 7yo that she missed it last night and I forgot to record it. She looked so crestfallen I had to tell her I really did and we'll watch one before she goes to bed tonight.

I just hope I don't have as much trouble sleeping as I did last night because of the show.
Old January 22 2009, 07:53 PM   #98
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
I'm wondering what if the island's "original inhabitants" are actually the Lostaways, or descendents of the Lostaways?
That's something I considered while I was watching last night. Could the Losties actually be the "Hostiles," the indiginous population that Dharma feared? The only one of them we ever really saw clearly (I think) was Richard Alpert. And who knows what the hell is up with that guy. He is everywhere.
—T.S. Eliot
Old January 22 2009, 08:31 PM   #99
Mallet
Fleet Captain

I don't think that the guys who jumped Sawyer & Juliette at the end of the second episode were Dharma. They were a lot more militant and vicious then any Dharma people we've seen before. Dharma people seemed to be basically a bunch of hippies & scientists, not guys willing to cut off peoples hands just to make a point. They seemed more like military or mercenaries then Dharma employees.

I wonder if these were some of the people who first "discovered" the island in the modern era, leading up to Dharma arriving to study it. Maybe they were sent out by Hanso to find and "claim" the island?

The fire arrow shooters were the "Hostiles" or "Natives" to the island, trying to kill off the new arrivals (both the Losties and the soldiers).
Old January 22 2009, 08:47 PM   #100
Mr Light
Admiral

Dharma wasn't THAT nice. They set up a station to gas the entire Island with instant death. The Arrow was created to research how to kill the Natives. Even Ben's cutesy little schoolteacher whipped out a rifle the second the alarm went off.

Old January 22 2009, 11:51 PM   #101
label
Vice Admiral

DeafPoet wrote: View Post
Faraday said the island is moving or the Losties/Freighties are. And he said both are equally likely. All we can tell at this point is that the island moved (possibly more than once) at least in location if not time, and the survivors are probably the only ones skipping around in time.
Here's what I got from the episode.

The Island only moved to those who were outside of "the radius" as Daniel phrased it. If you're on Daniel's boat when the event happened, the Island never moved from their vantage point. It was only to those outside the radius that the island would have appeared to disappear.

Also, the Island itself is not jumping through time, everyone else is, execpt of the hostiles/others who are tethered to the island. This is why when Locke asks where everyone went, Richard replies, "we didn't leave, you did".

Last edited by label; January 23 2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old January 23 2009, 12:32 AM   #102
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

One thing I'd forgotten until now, but I found it kinda annoying that Sawyer only mentioned Locke as being missing from the Still-Lostaways numbers. I mean, I understand why the writers did it if they're not yet ready to bring her back into the story, but after the fuss Sawyer made about looking after her last season, doesn't Claire deserve a mention from him?
Old January 23 2009, 01:32 AM   #103
spocksbrain
Lieutenant Commander

At the very end, they hide the face of that old British woman Ben seeks out in the church for a few moments so that she can turn around for a "big reveal". Um, were we supposed to recognize her? I sure didn't. Maybe that's Farraday's mother (who is supposed to be at Oxford)? She seems to know some physics. She was also typing on an old Apple IIe, like in the Swan Station.

If this entire season is bouncing back and forth through time on the island and the Six trying to get it together on the mainland, that's going to be pretty boring.
Old January 23 2009, 02:00 AM   #104
Agent Richard07
Admiral

spocksbrain wrote: View Post
Um, were we supposed to recognize her? I sure didn't.
I'm noticing that a lot of people didn't. She was in Desmond's time-travelling "flashback" to 1996 and she knew about him and the island. Something like that should have made her a pretty memorable character.
Old January 23 2009, 02:18 AM   #105
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I gave them both an above average since I was entertained by them, but I really don't know how to feel about what is going on. I liked Lost as a character show with sci-fi elements, but now it is going all sci-fi with little character work. I guess I'm the one person who liked the flashback format.