Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Kes V Seven of Nine
Kes 24 20.87%
7 of 9 67 58.26%
I liked them both equally 22 19.13%
I disliked them both equally 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 16 2009, 11:09 PM   #16
Spock-2012
Lieutenant

Re: Kes V Seven of Nine

Well, if we had learned more about Kes's abilities, it would have been interesting. Also, she never really had much of a character...we didn't know hobbies so well, and we also never really knew any love interests, I don't think.

Seven was definately over-used, but in a useful way. We got to see her develop human characteristics, and a love interest. Though she didn't need quite as much attention, even though she was borg and all...

Both were useful in their own ways, but I would have liked to see Kes more.
Old January 16 2009, 11:23 PM   #17
john titor
Captain

7 was really annoying, the tone of voice she used was grating to say the least and she was very in your face. Whereas Kes was much more understated. I think Lien was the better actress too as she didn't over act was more subtle in her role.
Old January 17 2009, 12:25 AM   #18
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

I also think that both characters could have had coexisted on the show.

Kes was a good character, and so was Seven.
Old January 17 2009, 01:03 AM   #19
stj
Rear Admiral

I really, really liked Jennifer Lien. But Seven of Nine was the better character.
Old January 17 2009, 04:38 AM   #20
donners22
Commodore

I found Kes completely bland, though she was treated very badly with the Neelix Is Jealous scenes they had for a while.

Kes was starting to get a little interesting as she developed her powers, but at the same time, they were too strong to have the character realistically kept around.

Seven was a fantastic character, so well developed over the years (final romance aside) and brilliantly played. I'll never forget Jeri Ryan playing all those different characters, including a Ferengi. The only problems with Seven were the complete overload of her in season five, and the use of her as a deus ex machina to resolve so many episodes.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
Old January 17 2009, 11:45 PM   #21
crouteru
Captain

I voted for Seven.

Despite the initial reasons for casting Jeri Ryan, I felt that she did a superb job acting wise and she also had some strong material to work with. I did also like Kes, and Jennifer Lien did a good enough job. It would've been interesting to watch her powers develop and to see her grow into old age over the course of the series. She definately had more potential than a rookie Ops officer and a wannabe Ambassador and bad cook.
Old January 18 2009, 06:44 PM   #22
Piper
Fleet Captain

I've always thought that Kes is a bit of an underrated character. She had more potential than I think the writers recognised, as they never seemed to know quite what to do with her.

For that reason, Seven was a stronger character in that her arc was far more clearly defined, and reasonably interesting. Unfortunately, her progression to becoming more human is not unlike Data's, which to me always brings it back a bit. It also didn't help that so much of S4, and arguably the subsequent seasons, was devoted to her to the detriment of certain other characters who fell by the wayside.

For these reasons, although I think that Seven probably is a better character, I would vote for Kes.
Old January 21 2009, 12:00 AM   #23
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

Kes had an interesting storyline and a lot of potential, but it was never used very well. Part of the problem is that (IMO) Jennifer Lien's acting chops just weren't up to the job.

7 was overused, but overall a much more interesting character. And Jeri Ryan is an utterly spectacular woman to look at.
Old January 21 2009, 12:37 AM   #24
Gov Kodos
Admiral

I liked both but have a preference for Seven, especially in season 4. I do wish that they hadn't humanised her so much. I'd rather she'd been used to explore the Borg and what they might have become without the assimilate everything aspect. It might have been used as a long term arc in relation to the Queen's statement of allowing Seven to remain on Voyager. Instead of the Queen being standard villain #1424355, she and Seven could have been a longer arc about getting the Borg to change from the monsters they were.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old January 21 2009, 12:50 AM   #25
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Kes. Seven of Nine was just there to be hot in a catsuit. Jennifer Lien was hot enough, but not for the powers that be, apparently.

-Tom Clancy
Old January 21 2009, 01:21 AM   #26
Akiraprise

stj wrote: View Post
I really, really liked Jennifer Lien. But Seven of Nine was the better character.
My feelings as well.

I liked both characters. But when we compare the two Seven was more fleshed out then Kes in the end.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Old January 21 2009, 03:08 AM   #27
flightmech73
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to flightmech73 Send a message via Yahoo to flightmech73

Evil_Kirkneivel wrote: View Post
That's a tough question for me to answer. Each was so different than the other. Kes was very appealing to me, with her pixie haircut, sensual voice, and intelligence. Seven of Nine was the opposite - in your face lil Abner body in a catsuit to appeal to young (and old) fanboys. Kes was under-used; Seven over-used. They could have easily existed together on the show, since their characters and stories had little in common.
Right of the bat this is how i feel about it too. I think towards the end of Kes's run there was so much more to learn. We were really getting down to what her speices was all about. and i really loved the long hair. I never did like the pixie wig. looked to fake. As far as 7 I cant argue with a hot blond in a cat suit but i think she was over used too. I started calling Voyerger the 7 of 9 show.
Old January 21 2009, 07:16 PM   #28
Lynx
Rear Admiral

One thing that I think that we should consider when we are comparing the characters and the actresses are the roles the characters were supposed to have in the show.

Kes was supposed to be more of a background main character. If we look at the first episodes, the foreground main character was Janeway with Chakotay as no. 2 while Paris, Tuvok and Torres came straight after. The Doctor, Kes, Neelix and Kim were more like background main characters.

That changed later on when The Doctor got a more prominent role

However, that meant that Kes was kept in the background in many episodes but when she was given a place under the spotlight, we could actually see that the character had a lot of quality. The same for Jennifer Lien's acting. When she was given the chance to shine, she took it.

When Seven was brought in, her role was immediately one of the foreground main characters (if not the main character). The show became focused on three characters: Seven, The Doctor and Janeway while the others were in a way shoved in the background. That gave Seven a lot of screen time and it also gave Ryan the opportunity to show her skills more than the amount of screen time that was given to Jennifer Lien.

Therefore it's hard to compare the characters and the actresses. They were very different and had such different roles.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Old January 21 2009, 07:19 PM   #29
kimc
Coffee Mod

Lynx wrote: View Post
However, that meant that Kes was kept in the background in many episodes but when she was given a place under the spotlight, we could actually see that the character had a lot of quality. The same for Jennifer Lien's acting. When she was given the chance to shine, she took it.
I have to agree this is the case in episodes like "Warlord".

Old January 21 2009, 09:48 PM   #30
exodus
Fleet Admiral

kimc wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
I have to agree this is the case in episodes like "Warlord".
Now compare "Warlord" to "Infinate Regress".

Lien was so-so. If she put the emotional impact into "Warlord" like Ryan did with "Regress", there would be no doubt that Kes would have been the breakout character without them ever needing Seven.

All Seven was is a restart to the character Kes was meant to be.