TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old January 21 2009, 04:37 PM   #1
VeryCherry
Ensign

Nimoy, Quinto - Spock Comparison

Let me just first say, I'm not a first generation Star Trek fan. I grew up watching episodes of TOS on re-run and was around for TNG when it originally released. I was a teenager at the time. I've always been a huge fan of Star Trek, and TOS has held a special place with me. Not because of the writing, or the costumes, but the characters.

I was disappointed with the casting of Zachary Quinto as Spock. With the inclusion of Leonard Nimoy in the film, I thought it was crucial that they get the casting correct for Spock. I think Leonard Nimoy has a much more chiseled, rugged look. Where as, Zachary Quinto has a very round, boyish face. I know I'm not the target audience, but I can't help but be disappointed. At the very least, they could have got the make-up right!

Am I alone in this thought? Everywhere I turn, people say that the casting was spot on.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Old January 21 2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Tyberius
Commander

Re: Nimoy, Quinto - Spock Comparison

I thinks it is as close as you can get without cloning the guy. Maybe there was a better looking actor, but the guy still has to act, and still has to work well with the director and all that. Given the requirements of the job I say it is good enough.

Pine/Shatner, on the other hand...

VeryCherry wrote: View Post
Let me just first say, I'm not a first generation Star Trek fan. I grew up watching episodes of TOS on re-run and was around for TNG when it originally released. I was a teenager at the time. I've always been a huge fan of Star Trek, and TOS has held a special place with me. Not because of the writing, or the costumes, but the characters.

I was disappointed with the casting of Zachary Quinto as Spock. With the inclusion of Leonard Nimoy in the film, I thought it was crucial that they get the casting correct for Spock. I think Leonard Nimoy has a much more chiseled, rugged look. Where as, Zachary Quinto has a very round, boyish face. I know I'm not the target audience, but I can't help but be disappointed. At the very least, they could have got the make-up right!

Am I alone in this thought? Everywhere I turn, people say that the casting was spot on.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Old January 21 2009, 04:55 PM   #3
The Keeper
Commodore

What did you expect, a clone of Nimoy?

Little known hit crime drama series on FX: The Bridge. It's crazy good!
Old January 21 2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Ah, but would Quinto be able to pull off a 'Carl Spock' as well as Nimoy?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old January 21 2009, 06:02 PM   #5
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

The problem for me is recasting at all. I've known these characters played by the same people my whole life. Quinto doesn't have Nimoy's chiseled, stoic, and almost fearsome look. But neither does anyone else I can think of, and it's obvious that casting unkowns wasn't on the table, so he's about as good as it's going to get. I look forward to seeing what he does with the part.
Old January 21 2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

...I think Leonard Nimoy has a much more chiseled, rugged look. Where as, Zachary Quinto has a very round, boyish face....
Well, then maybe the 130 year difference in the ages of the two characters will be more believable.

I agree that it was more important for young Spock to look like Nimoy than it was for the other characters to look like the originals (since Nimoy is in this), but I think he looks close enough.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Old January 21 2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

I think Quinto looks terrific as Spock.

- Bertrand Russell
Old January 21 2009, 07:14 PM   #8
VeryCherry
Ensign

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
The problem for me is recasting at all. I've known these characters played by the same people my whole life. Quinto doesn't have Nimoy's chiseled, stoic, and almost fearsome look. But neither does anyone else I can think of, and it's obvious that casting unkowns wasn't on the table, so he's about as good as it's going to get. I look forward to seeing what he does with the part.
I know exactly how you feel. I was disappointed with almost all the re-casting, but Spock hit home. I just can't see Zachary Quinto as Spock and take it seriously. I don't think Chris Pine has the hair to play Kirk. Karl Urban is an okay fit for McCoy. I don't very much care for Simon Pegg, but he can probably pull off Scotty. Anton Yelchin looks dopey, but Chekov sort of was. I thought Uhura and Sulu were okay re-casts.

They could have atleast done more with the make-up for Zachary Quinto to make him closer resemble Leonard Nimoy, and the Spock we all know and love. I have a feeling it will be a good movie, people will enjoy it, but it wont feel much like Star Trek.
Old January 21 2009, 07:33 PM   #9
T'Aerwynd
Lieutenant Commander

At first, I thought this was going to be a serious thread.
Old January 21 2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

...I don't think Chris Pine has the hair to play Kirk...
Then again, neither did Shatner

Seriously though, I don't know what you mean by this. Are you being literal? If you are, then I think Chris Pine's hair is similar to the hair "look" that young Shatner had -- but I don't see how the actor's hair should make a difference. If it was really important to Abrams that Pine have the same hair as a 1966 Captain Kirk, then they would have died it and styled it that way.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; January 22 2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old January 21 2009, 09:41 PM   #11
THE CHEBB
Captain

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
...I don't think Chris Pine has the hair to play Kirk...
Then again, neither did Shatner
LOL!
Old January 23 2009, 04:35 PM   #12
VeryCherry
Ensign

T'Aerwynd wrote: View Post
At first, I thought this was going to be a serious thread.
I think Zachary Quinto would have been a better fit for a World of Warcraft movie.
Old January 23 2009, 07:31 PM   #13
Basil
Fleet Captain

Quinto doesn't have a round face -- that would be Simon Pegg. Quinto has a longish, big-nosed face somewhat like Nimoy has, so there is a similarity of type. But his features make him look more like a young Dennis Quaid than a young Leonard Nimoy. The baby fat gives Quinto a doughier look than Nimoy, but most young actors today have that slightly doughy look, perhaps because of ethnic differences, perhaps because of lifestyle ones. Where I grew up, there were a lot of people that had that "chiseled," weathered look, along with straight dark hair like Nimoy's, all of which was considered quite masculine. Many were eastern European. Nowadays, we seem to prefer, or perhaps privilege, a different look.
Old January 23 2009, 07:34 PM   #14
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Dane_Whitman wrote: View Post
I think Quinto looks terrific as Spock.
I think what he sounds like will matter just as much as what he looks like. Nimoy has such a distinctive voice.
Old January 23 2009, 08:19 PM   #15
T'Aerwynd
Lieutenant Commander

I think Zachary Quinto would have been a better fit for a World of Warcraft movie.
Yay. But seriously, comparing the two of them and using - what, MS Paint? - to draw red lines outlining how different they are and somehow using that as the basis of an argument that Quinto was a poor casting choice ... taking it a bit far, aren't we?