Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 19 2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Agent Richard07
Admiral

What became of Superman?

In the most recent episode of Smallville called "Legion", the Legion of Super-Heroes travel back from the 31st century to the present where they meet Clark Kent. Throughout the episode, they refer to Clark in the past tense, making it clear that he wasn't around in their time. Also, on the animated series Legion of Super-Heroes, it's the same thing. No Superman and a big museum dedicated to him which includes his costume.

So my question is this... What became of Superman?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: What became of Superman?

It's possible they were just trying to make it SOUND like he wasn't around in their time as part of some Temporal PD sort of thing.
Old January 19 2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Forgive me, my knowledge of this stuff isn't that great, but I remember hearing about or reading somewhere that for some period of time in Superman's life he decided to go live inside the core of the Sun for a very long time, is this correct? how much time was it?

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 07:09 PM   #4
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
Forgive me, my knowledge of this stuff isn't that great, but I remember hearing about or reading somewhere that for some period of time in Superman's life he decided to go live inside the core of the Sun for a very long time, is this correct? how much time was it?
I know even less about the non-movie Superman mythos than you do, but that sounds like a pretty fucking boring way to spend any stretch of time.

They don't even get Teh Internet there!
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

IN DC 1 Million, by Grant Morrison (mostly), set a million months after the publication of action comics #1, Superman did live in the centre of the sun till the late 853rd century when the Martian Manhunter had finaly killed that evil sun and they pulled Krypton through time from seconds before it was supposed to have exploded.

Alan Moore Wrote "What ever became of the Man of Tomorrow" to cmoplete the silver age as the Original crisis began to reboot everything, to mark the end of of everything. Clark Gold Krytonited himself (Powers gone forever) dyed his hair blonde and lived happily ever after with Lois and had children.

Or you could believe in John Byrne and His batman Superman Generations insanity.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
IN DC 1 Million, by Grant Morrison (mostly), set a million months after the publication of action comics #1, Superman did live in the centre of the sun till the late 853rd century when the Martian Manhunter had finaly killed that evil sun and they pulled Krypton through time from seconds before it was supposed to have exploded.

Alan Moore Wrote "What ever became of the Man of Tomorrow" to cmoplete the silver age as the Original crisis began to reboot everything, to mark the end of of everything. Clark Gold Krytonited himself (Powers gone forever) dyed his hair blonde and lived happily ever after with Lois and had children.

Or you could believe in John Byrne and His batman Superman Generations insanity.

I'll take death.
Old January 19 2009, 07:38 PM   #7
EnsignRicky
Commodore

I don't follow the comics either, and I'm sure there could be good reasons to the contrary, but I would just think that by the 31st century, he would be long dead of old age. I know Kryptonians gain super powers from our yellow sun, But I never got the impression that they were immortal, or even that their lifespan overly exceeded that of humans.
Old January 19 2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
I don't follow the comics either, and I'm sure there could be good reasons to the contrary, but I would just think that by the 31st century, he would be long dead of old age. I know Kryptonians gain super powers from our yellow sun, But I never got the impression that they were immortal, or even that their lifespan overly exceeded that of humans.
Smallville has suggested it. In one episode they encounter a Meteror Freak who can see how people will die by touching them. When he touches Clark he doesn't see Clark's death but an image of a red cape with a yellow "S-shield" on it flapping in the "wind" against a space/galactic backdrop. The kid says that it "seems as though if you go on forever, Clark, like you never die." -or something to that effect.
Old January 19 2009, 07:42 PM   #9
TGTheodore
Writer

No, Superman did age, but much more slowly. (Silver Age mythos, I believe). So perhaps he finally just died "naturally", or went out saving someone again.

--Ted
Old January 19 2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Some writers, like Elliot S! Maggin, speculate that Superman left Earth for deep-space. This short story answers some of your questions but only in terms of the Bronze Age Superman of the 70s and 80s.

http://theages.superman.nu/u/maggin/luthors-gift/

Same with Superman, vol.1, number #400 by Jim Steranko:

http://theages.superman.nu/400/exile.php

Then there's also the version of Superman's death and destiny in All-Star Superman.

In terms of the Smallville episode "Legion," I think that Maggin's sojourn for Superman might be what happens to Clark Kent since Lightening Lad speaks of Clark's influence reaching outward into the galaxy.
Old January 19 2009, 08:06 PM   #11
EnsignRicky
Commodore

My question would be that if he is indeed immortal, is it yet another benefit of his exposure to our sun, or is it due to Kryptonian biology. Meaning if and when his existence exceeds the lifespan of a normal Kryptonian, is he then bound to Earth out of the knowledge that the moment he leaves the influence of the sun, his normal aging process will kick in reducing him to dust in the cosmic winds. If that's the case, at some point in the future, some supervillan could sure use that information to their advantage.
Old January 19 2009, 08:09 PM   #12
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

My question would be that if he is indeed immortal, is it yet another benefit of his exposure to our sun, or is it due to Kryptonian biology. Meaning if and when his existence exceeds the lifespan of a normal Kryptonian, is he then bound to Earth out of the knowledge that the moment he leaves the influence of the sun, his normal aging process will kick in reducing him to dust in the cosmic winds. If that's the case, at some point in the future, some supervillan could sure use that information to their advantage.
Why would it do that? Once he leaves the influence of the sun why wouldn't he just start aging normally? It's not like when he leaves the influence of the sun all of his bones are going the shatter and his discs herniate from all of the battles he's been in and heavy shit he's lifted.
Old January 19 2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The recent conclusion to "Thy Kingdom Come" in Justice Society shows what happens to Clark Kent/Superman in the Kingdom Come timeline; he's still alive when the Legion is active, albeit very aged.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2009, 08:20 PM   #14
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Why would it do that? Once he leaves the influence of the sun why wouldn't he just start aging normally? It's not like when he leaves the influence of the sun all of his bones are going the shatter and his discs herniate from all of the battles he's been in and heavy shit he's lifted.
That's true. He could just resume aging normally from that point as opposed to immediately advancing to the age he would be in relation to the years that he has existed. I may be getting superlore mixed up with vampires or mummies or something; It's all very confusing.
Old January 19 2009, 08:24 PM   #15
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Well aside from that llama ranch he was running near Encino...