TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 18 2009, 03:44 AM   #1
Steve67
Commander

For Those Who Saw TWOK in 1982

For years it's been a running joke about Kirk screaming Khan's name in rage, but as I remember it in 1982 at the theater*, the audience was as quiet as it could be during that scene. Everyone took that moment very seriously. I believe the kitsch factor came much, much later.

For those who saw TWOK in the theater during its original release, what was your reaction and how do you recall the audience's reaction to that scene?

*Opening weekend---the Lakes Mall, to be exact; the place was packed and they sold out the entire day's tickets. A friend of mine was going to see the movie for his birthday and he and his mother had to wait to see it the next day.
Old January 18 2009, 04:10 AM   #2
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: For Those Who Saw TWOK in 1982

It was a very intense moment in the theatre. You could hear a pin drop when Spock dies, also.. some were weeking, even though Spock's death was one of TWOK's worst kept secrets.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 04:21 AM   #3
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

I didn't 1st see it in 82, but I was completely free of spoilers when I 1st saw it a few years later. I definitely didn't find anything funny about the moment. It isn't even that it IS funny, it is just a very well known movie moment so of course like anything people make fun of it.
Old January 18 2009, 04:37 AM   #4
trevanian
Rear Admiral

The audience laughed in San Jose opening night (I always maintain it is his expression that generates the laugh, not the 'war cry'.)

When I saw it two nights later, there were a bunch of people who were laughing uncontrollably during Spock's funeral. That's the only time I saw that happen, though I can understand thinking the bagpipes an odd choice (these people were laughing BEFORE the bagpipes, though. I was not among them.)

We all laughed when Kirk falls on his ass in SFS on opening day. I still think that is as failed a moment as any in a TOS flick, that they completely mis-staged it.

I think the biggest accidental laughs in TOSflicks are Shatner's '0h migod' in TMP's transporter fritz-out and "ohmigawwd' in TWOK (when they find Chekov in the hamper-fridge.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 04:38 AM   #5
judexavier
Commander

I saw it many times in '82 , and again night before last.

One thing about that scene, that big music swell seems to make the
"yell" more intense, then (I think) the second is an echo, with the music following again. (who knows what the intent was, that was always my impression).
When all the parodies of that scene began, I always thought that Kirk was over-acting on purpose, one to sell the lie/exaggeration, and to mess with Khan.

If memory serves, the audience was always very serious.
judexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 04:42 AM   #6
Magisterfrodo
Vice Admiral

I remember it being very serious and even a little scary. Of course, I was 8 years old.
Old January 18 2009, 04:44 AM   #7
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The "Kh-a-a-a-a-a-n!" is in the TWOK trailer, so we'd been joking about Shatner's delivery for about a month before we saw the movie.

When Radioactive Spock took off his superfluous radiation glove and delivered his Vulcan salute, Dave Bischoff leaned over to me and said "Live long and phospher." I cracked up.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 04:47 AM   #8
trevanian
Rear Admiral

HEARING the line isn't funny; seeing it is. That is why the "KHAN!" in the trailer is chilling, not funny. I still think the TWOK trailer is easily the best of the bunch for Trek ... you have a helluva model shot, an amazing sustained piece of animation, some mysterious imagery of Kirk ... even if I knew nothing about the movie and cared nothing about the notion of Trek, I'd've been hooked (which is exactly how my folks wound up seeing the movie, they were utterly blown away by the trailer, and that was after they both slept through TMP and were convinced trek was dead.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 04:58 AM   #9
Kryton
Admiral

It was just me and one other guy in the theater. He was way down front, I was near the back...no idea what his response was.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 05:07 AM   #10
scottydog
Admiral

View scottydog's Twitter Profile

I remember it well back in '82. No laughing at the time. It was all serious drama, and very poignant with Spock's death. I'm glad that as time has passed, we've developed a sense of humor about that scene
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 05:22 AM   #11
gottacook
Commander

Saw it opening night. I don't remember any laughter at "KHAAAAN!" - the music made the moment genuinely dire.

Not yet mentioned here is the line that got by far the biggest laugh that night, from Carol Marcus: "Let me show you something that will make you feel-- young, as when the world was new."
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 05:42 AM   #12
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

I don't remember anyone laughing in TWOK...except where it was intended.

I guess I didn't see it in a theater with a psychotic audience...
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2009, 05:52 AM   #13
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
The audience laughed in San Jose opening night (I always maintain it is his expression that generates the laugh, not the 'war cry'.)

When I saw it two nights later, there were a bunch of people who were laughing uncontrollably during Spock's funeral. That's the only time I saw that happen, though I can understand thinking the bagpipes an odd choice (these people were laughing BEFORE the bagpipes, though. I was not among them.)

We all laughed when Kirk falls on his ass in SFS on opening day. I still think that is as failed a moment as any in a TOS flick, that they completely mis-staged it.

I think the biggest accidental laughs in TOSflicks are Shatner's '0h migod' in TMP's transporter fritz-out and "ohmigawwd' in TWOK (when they find Chekov in the hamper-fridge.)
Century Theaters?

I don't recall anyone laughing at the Khaaaan!!!! scene. But I believe I saw the first showing along with my usual geek posse. Science fiction is serious stuff! You wait overnight to get the best spots in line.

I did chuckle when Spock was dying. For some reason him straightening his jacket and walking into the wall is funny to me.
Old January 18 2009, 06:01 AM   #14
Data Holmes
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
HEARING the line isn't funny; seeing it is. That is why the "KHAN!" in the trailer is chilling, not funny. I still think the TWOK trailer is easily the best of the bunch for Trek ... you have a helluva model shot, an amazing sustained piece of animation, some mysterious imagery of Kirk ... even if I knew nothing about the movie and cared nothing about the notion of Trek, I'd've been hooked (which is exactly how my folks wound up seeing the movie, they were utterly blown away by the trailer, and that was after they both slept through TMP and were convinced trek was dead.)
Kahn's trailer is good, but I still think that the TUC team of teaser and trailer were better at selling the movie.
Old January 18 2009, 06:02 AM   #15
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

I actually enjoyed ST:TWOK as an eleven year old, but then I also enjoyed Megaforce that year so it shouldn't be taken as any sort of endorsement. Regarding the audience reaction at The State Theatre, the only sound I heard during the actual film itself (as opposed to the constant booing during the seemingly endless pre-feature "Val Morgan" ads) was some retard shrieking "Look bozz! De plen! De plen!" when the Enterprise first appears on the Reliant's viewscreen.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote